Wyoming- 10 points NR

Soutah

FNG
I have 10 points as a NR for Wyoming and trying to make some decisions. I am not in a hurry necessarily but am looking for info on high probability Trophy opportunities 190+ rather that is DIY or guided. Feel free to message me privately.

Even on private land 190 is more of a dream than a goal you can just pay for or even put your time in for with guaranteed results. For a deer of that caliber all you can do is either book the best hunt possible whether it’s private or public high country, pay your dues by hunting hard and pray. Praying might be the wisest thing. 190 is big brother!

Mojave

WKR
You are going to be disappointed. That is the problem with points systems, you have built a dream buck in your mind and the odds will be against you. You'll draw a tag and there will be a forest fire, wolf problem, drought, winter die off or something else and all of these are going to be in your way.

Focus on a unit where you can kill a good buck, and hopefully you will.

190 is certainly possible, but I think you are setting yourself up for dissappintment. 30+ years hunting Wyoming mule deer tells me that 175-180 is a more realistic upper end to hope for, much less expect. Even guided w/ some really good outfits.

Wyobow1

FNG
I’d recommend dumping your points before the allocation change (possibly) and get into region G or H. Those are the only units that consistently produce or even have that type of genetic or potential. Agreed that is a high mark though lol. But no doubt achievable.

With 10 points no sane man would choose H over G. Yes there are but g bucks in H too. But he can draw that with half the points. Go hunt G and hit H next time.

Wyobow1

FNG
I’d agree with that. Go hunt region G over H. Better access for nonresidents in G.

bgipson

FNG
As has been said, G is about your only option where you stand. If you're expecting a 190"+ then good luck to you because your odds of walking into the unit and getting it figured out in 1 season are almost impossible. Hire a guide and hope he has 1 tied up for your come opener.

High bar. I go DIY yourself in G and H over the years. Personally have only seen one over that in about 50 days hunting there.

They are there, but gotta find em.

That many points and years, and if money for guide, I’d prob do that, but even then, it’s a long shot for 190.

There’s always big deer potentially more spots that get overlooked. Could also do two hunts over two years to split points in area w less point req

If DIY, try to get out scouting prior

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimss

WKR
Make a list of counties in Wyo with B&C listings of 190+ in the past 10 to 15 years may be revealing…or disappointing? Obviously there are a bunch of 190+ bucks not listed but this gives you a start plus reality check. With 10 points it narrows down your selection of counties/units even further.

G may be one of your best options but there are a pile of Diy and guided hunters that have hunted G for years without even laying eyes on a 190 buck. Historically this may still be your best bet. To up your odds in g most guides have horses and cover gobs of country each day. You will be limited on foot.

Other units with potential may be a circus on public ground with guides and helpers hiking and running around on quads. If you can find lightly hunted private ground with B&C potential it may be one of your best bets. It may be mighty expensive and a guided hunt going that route though.