Wyoming 2019

Been trying to do some research on wyoming units to apply for this fall. I am planning on taking my 13yr old on his first antelope hunt. We Dont need a guide. does anyone have any units that have some public land to access with 1 point. Thanks for the help you can pm me if you would like.

OP
Gooseterrorist
I have been looking on wyoming fish and game. I have had some buddies go down there and all the public land is locked up by private. Looks like the units with good public access need some points to draw. Anyone have any thoughts on unit 46?

wytx

WKR
Should be able to find a buck in there. Close to some good fishing also. Good HMA acreage and some scattered state and BLM sections with access. Some parts are flat some, breaks and draws.

Bigjay73

Lil-Rokslider
You could do 46-2 with 1 point in the regular draw, you have about a 50% chance for 46-1 in the special draw. Doe tags you have about a 40% chance.

I have had great hunts in some of the units that have the "caution poor access asterisk by them". If you can read a map and legally access public land dont be afraid to look at those units.

OP
Gooseterrorist
What is HMA? is that like montana block management?

Should be able to find a buck in there. Close to some good fishing also. Good HMA acreage and some scattered state and BLM sections with access. Some parts are flat some, breaks and draws.

wytx

WKR
Hunter Management Area. Most are private lands inter mingling with public sections that are open to hunting. Most have limits on the number of permits given and you must apply for one, they are free. Some HMAs given unlimited permits. Hunting is usually good on them but can have pressure.

bigredxlt

FNG
I am pretty much in the same position as OP with similar questions. Thanks for the insight.

bobhunts

WKR
I have been looking on wyoming fish and game. I have had some buddies go down there and all the public land is locked up by private. Looks like the units with good public access need some points to draw. Anyone have any thoughts on unit 46?
Go to the website and look at it. Many private ranches let you access their property by leaving your voucher in their ( usually a mailbox ) at the gate. there is a list of property owners that participate in the program.

RyDog450r

FNG
I ran into the public lands locked up by private and/or access by a road that when we arrived in person said it was a private oil company access road and no trespassing... if you’re digital scouting, stick to roads with names. We’re switching units and I’m gonna call and ask about specific roads being public or not before applying. Couple years ago I shot a 79”er 100 yards from the public private line on a small, odd shaped piece of blm. OnX and a compass were key!

Ive shot 1 decent goat and 1 nice goat real close to public/private lines in 0 pt units. Like others have said Onx is helpful. I also went to the county websites to see which roads are on the county website that they maintain. From my experience the antelope have been everywhere and youll need (1) access and (2) a good understanding of where you are when you are out there.

Unit 82-1 tag in my opinion was a good one for a first antelope hunt. It’s right outside of Cody & has plenty of goats on it. I took 2 kids out two years ago & 1 kid this past year & it was no problem harvesting a nice antelope buck for each one of them. Feel free to PM me for more info.

82 took 3 points to draw in 2018.

Yep, best thing to do is check the Drawing Odds listing from the prior year to see what your chances are. We drew as a party & I believe our average was around 2 BUT that was in 2017.