Wyoming 2019

Tagging along on this one. We are in a similar boat. I've found that toprut is a good place to start, as you can sort by points, rather than WF&G as a first pass.

Rich M

WKR
I have a toprut subscription too but everything on there is easily obtained on the state websites. You don't need any of the services, they just do a little work for you. The toprut maps are nice.

If you do the work yourself, it answers so many questions. I been there & done that.

Ajkbruin

FNG
Dont over look the type 2 tags. many of the areas with type 2 restricting you to half mile from irrigated fields have an abundant amount of goats

Isn’t all irrigated land private? I’m very interested in an early rifle hunt but looks like public land is very limited

BackCountryMulies

Lil-Rokslider
Isn’t all irrigated land private? I’m very interested in an early rifle hunt but looks like public land is very limited
Yes but if you look at the rules it states on or within 1/2 mile of irragated land. Ive killed several bucks between 78-82" on public land 300 yards off the private fence line

manitou1

WKR
Contact county road depts and find out what roads are actually public, then go from there. Access is everything. In Wy, you cannot corner jump, so be mindful when planning.
About all units hold antelope, and lots of them. Find the access, make some phone calls and study the G&F website and you should do fine. Get Onx maps and a rangefinder, then practice shooting 300+ yds. Don't discount doe tags... many zones can be drawn with zero points and they are delicious. Our favorite meat.
Good luck!
I will be out there for 8-10 days myself in Oct.
Wife and I will be fishing and hiking out there in July... and living out there in less than two years, Lord willing. 😀

wytx

WKR
Not all Type 2 tags are irrigated only tags, many just have later opening date and some have later closing dates.
HMAs usually have limited permits for access but not all, some only limit early hunting and have unlimited permits for later in season. Walk in areas have little vehicle access but again can be good hunting.
Corner hopping is enforced in some counties but I believe no one has been convicted of trespassing because of corner hopping. Our county does not prosecute corner hopping. They must prove you trespassed to hunt on the private.
Pm me with your areas your looking at around this part of the state, Laramie.

locofife

FNG
I’ve had great luck in a particular walk in area. They can be great, but you may have to do some walking. It’s worth the trouble.

JLW66

FNG
There is a ton of BLM and other public ground in WY. If you dont want to pay for OnX, buy a $20 DeLorme Gazetteer Atlas for Wyoming. They are very good references in paper form. You can also get maps at the Game and Parks offices. I will highly suggest an OnX subscription or something like it for your smart phone so you know where you are at when you get out there and start walking around. Sometimes there are no fences where the ownership boundaries are. Ive been jumped by a landowner west of Casper a few years ago because i was too close to his perceived boundary. Actually, it really looked like he was trying to keep people away from a honey hole that butted up against his private property. I've also seen people put up no trespassing signs 100 yds inside a fenceline that is clearly public. Sorry, I am rambling, but im trying to help people avoid things that just waste your time and can put a downer on a good day hunting.

I've ran into signs saying no trespassing on private lands behind this sign. But it doesn't say how far the private is behind the sign, prior to onyx its kept people out of a bomber drainage for years.
I'm all for private property rites, but that shady crap sucks.

smccardell

Lil-Rokslider
There are plenty of antelope in WY, so much so that you will see them in the ditches off the side of the road, like rats. There is plenty of public land in WY that isn't locked up. You can pull the Gillette unit with no points. It's got some public that gets pressured but if you wait until later in the season you will have the place all to yourself. The good thing about Gillette is that you can also pick up a mulie tag and hunt the same season for rifle. Then get some doe/fawn tags for Antelope and mulie and you are in business. For your son that should be some pretty cheap tags and will assure you that you don't go home empty handed.

smccardell

Lil-Rokslider
Its pricey, but goHunt has helpful information on this sort of thing
If he is looking to just get tags in WY for him and his son he can also just do the free 30 day trial on goHunt. That's what I did last year when I just wanted to try it out and was only concerned with Colorado.