Wyoming 2020 deadline

jt4

WKR
I read a few people post that Wyoming is moving their elk deadline in 2020 but can't seem to find it formally written anywhere. Can someone post a link.

What are the new dates? Is the application deadline still going to be January 31 and they just moved the date of when the results are available back?

Thomas11

WKR
It’s been a very controversial topic but deadline to apply is Jan 31 and results are either end of May or June. I can’t remember the exact day. It’s all outfitter driven to make NR have to apply before other states. Really can’t believe the state went along w it. So they r taking your money for basically 4 months and not knowing if u draw. What a joke it is

KHNC

WKR
Outfitters are the coolest, most honest , dependable people out there! You need to stop criticizing them! They make the western world go round! Without them, there would be vast expanses of un-hunted ground with elk and deer just dying of old age. Tragic!

NoWiser

WKR
Deadline of January 31st. Results will be posted no more than 2 weeks after May 8th. The January application deadline was a direct result of the outfitter lobby.

You can retract your app though right? For instance you draw AZ and want to drop out of the WY draw.

NoWiser

WKR
You can change or cancel your application before the May 8th deadline. Results will be posted before the deer/antelope deadline.

I believe Wyoming will still keep the full amount of the tag until the point you either draw or are refunded correct? WY has always been one of the states that requires the full amount of the tag to be paid upfront. So for special elk, that means the $1200 up front in Jan only to receive your refund in late May/early June. Yikes.

Last edited:
I received my annual Wyoming Outfitters magazine (catalog?) the other day. I couldn't find a mention of the change which is pretty surprising. I do now know who to notify with my displeasure, so that's a plus.

OP
jt4

jt4

WKR
Thanks for the answers guys. exactly the info I've been searching for.

People can say whatever they want about Wyoming...there will be no shortage of apps in the special and regular draw going forward.

TheCougar

WKR
Wow, that isn’t what I thought after reading about the change. I thought they had moved the application date back as well. That suuuuucks. Nothing like paying interest for 4 months. Wyoming was my Montana back up, thought I could wait to be sure I drew Montana before applying for WY. Not any more, I guess.

I believe the change was not at the request of outfitters, but rather because G&F used to issue NR tags prior to season setting meetings in April. So, now the tags will be issued after they have a "hard" number on quotas for each individual unit. NR get a certain percentage of the quota, so the change is meant to make sure elk tags get allocated properly.

NoWiser

WKR
I believe the change was not at the request of outfitters, but rather because G&F used to issue NR tags prior to season setting meetings in April. So, now the tags will be issued after they have a "hard" number on quotas for each individual unit. NR get a certain percentage of the quota, so the change is meant to make sure elk tags get allocated properly.

You are partially correct. The draw date was moved so that tags would be allocated correctly. That is understandable and was not at the request of the outfitters. However, the outfitters lobbied to keep the application deadline in January, even though it would have made a lot more sense to move it back so that NR hunters actually know the seasons and quotas before they apply.

Is the January app date for sure? I have see this on forums but have also seen that it was moved to May to coincide exactly the same times as residents. I don't doubt that it is January but it does seem crazy to keep money for almost six months. Does anybody have the F&G citation? I cannot seem to find anything on either date actually.

Thanks for the reminder. I need to get my act together and get to planning so I'm not scrambling at the end. Both my sons moved up there earlier this year so trying to figure out how to get us all hunting together next year.

204guy

WKR
Previous thread on this musta been deleted, can't find it. How am I supposed to keep my post count up?

Edit: Found it. Not sure how to post a link on Taptalk but it's there. Buzz & wapitibob lay it all out. See old J-dubuah got himself banned.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Last edited: