Wyoming 2020 deadline

Thomas11

WKR
I get why people dont like it but that doesnt matter. In the real world its not so black and white some times you have to give some thing to get some thing. Crying and bitching about every thing that aint fair is a tough way to go through life. I want a full swaro glass kit and i cant afford it thats not fair that others can.....
Fair enough and good point. I don’t disagree. My only point is there is no logical reason for it. But no it’s not the end of the world. I will certainly apply this yr there. Now once I draw a tag, i May quit applying. Who knows. My app strategy seems to change every yr but this change is certainly a deteriorating factor for several reasons. But I like to elk hunt so I’ll prolly just deal w it! I mean whatcha gonna do hunt or not?! Lol

cnelk

WKR
Man, I sure heard some NR whining when the CPW mandated a Small Game 'qualifying license' to apply in Colorado last year. And GASP! The CPW held the application money for 2 months!

Some Colorado Resident perks...

The RFW program is only for Colorado Residents.

There are Resident Only Colorado moose draw units
[In all my years in Colorado, Ive never heard NR one bitch about the Resident Only Moose units]

NoWiser

WKR
Perhaps if everyone who takes the time to complain on a forum like this instead wrote the Game and Fish Commission, they'd eventually grow tired of trying to justify this change and move the draw deadline back. Maybe it wouldn't do any good, but it would surely be more likely to solve this "problem" than whining on a forum.

BuzzH

WKR
Very well said! I hate the wilderness law in Wyoming. That’s 100% outfitter lobbying again. That’s cool that the wgf is so easily bribed.

I find it hilarious that I could totally be a granola from California, rent a camera and for the first time ever backpack into a wilderness area in Wyoming with the hopes of finding, confronting, and photographing grizzly bears without a guide.

But as a very accomplished hunter, well armed and trained in my endeavors I can’t step foot in a wilderness area.

To all the residents who are saying if you don’t want to pay you can’t play. You can’t relate because you aren’t out of staters of Wyoming. The state that allows residents to hunt otc tag which take nonresidents up to 7 years to draw. Zero otc options for non residents.

Wyoming would be an ideal state to live in for resident hunting opportunities but just horrible for out of state hunters.

No other state even remotely compares too Wyoming in their weird laws and disparity for non resident hunters!

My go to tag for archery deer in Utah is easier to draw as a nonresident than resident.

I hope to live in Wyoming eventually and take advantage of the extremely open resident hunting opportunities

Might want to try some facts in your post.

For starters, the WGF department had absolutely ZERO to do with the wilderness guide law. Laws in Wyoming are a product of the Wyoming Legislature, precisely who passed the wilderness guide LAW. The GF is responsible for regulation, season setting, things like that via the authority granted them by the legislature.

As a well trained hunter you can do anything in a wilderness area you want, with the exception of hunting the STATES wildlife. You aren't precluded from hiking alongside the granola taking pictures, fishing in wilderness, even hunting predators, upland birds, etc. Just cant hunt big or trophy game without guide in one.

As a resident I can relate as I'm a NR in 49 other states. States like AK where I am required to hire a guide or hunt with a second degree of kin for sheep, goat, and grizzly bears. States like NM where I'm limited to 3% of the available elk permits, and can not apply for a cow elk permit at all. States like Montana that limit me to "up to" 10% of the available special permits. Where in many years, I apply for a sheep tag where a NR tag ends up not even being issued to a NR due to the "up to 10% of the region quota of sheep tags". The list goes on and on and on.

In a couple states I no longer apply because of the restrictions that those states have placed on me as a NR. That's the way it goes, nobody is forcing me to apply, and I respect their right, via the law, to favor their Resident hunters over me. I don't blame them.

If you don't like it, you aren't forced to apply...that easy.

LostArra

WKR
To all the residents who are saying if you don’t want to pay you can’t play. You can’t relate because you aren’t out of staters of Wyoming. The state that allows residents to hunt otc tag which take nonresidents up to 7 years to draw. Zero otc options for non residents.

Huh, I wasn't aware that there were OTC resident elk tags in Wyo.

MtnManZ

Lil-Rokslider
Might want to try some facts in your post.

For starters, the WGF department had absolutely ZERO to do with the wilderness guide law. Laws in Wyoming are a product of the Wyoming Legislature, precisely who passed the wilderness guide LAW. The GF is responsible for regulation, season setting, things like that via the authority granted them by the legislature.

As a well trained hunter you can do anything in a wilderness area you want, with the exception of hunting the STATES wildlife. You aren't precluded from hiking alongside the granola taking pictures, fishing in wilderness, even hunting predators, upland birds, etc. Just cant hunt big or trophy game without guide in one.

As a resident I can relate as I'm a NR in 49 other states. States like AK where I am required to hire a guide or hunt with a second degree of kin for sheep, goat, and grizzly bears. States like NM where I'm limited to 3% of the available elk permits, and can not apply for a cow elk permit at all. States like Montana that limit me to "up to" 10% of the available special permits. Where in many years, I apply for a sheep tag where a NR tag ends up not even being issued to a NR due to the "up to 10% of the region quota of sheep tags". The list goes on and on and on.

In a couple states I no longer apply because of the restrictions that those states have placed on me as a NR. That's the way it goes, nobody is forcing me to apply, and I respect their right, via the law, to favor their Resident hunters over me. I don't blame them.

If you don't like it, you aren't forced to apply...that easy.

What facts did he miss? Your post doesn’t really fact check much...aside from him inferring, but not stating, that the Wilderness Law was a WGF thing.

After reading through all the pissing and moaning I have a few observations.

1. BUZZH should be nominated for rokslider of the year, as well as Wyoming hunter spokesman of the year. (Said in all seriousness, I don't know the guy but continuously find posts with him being involved in the actual process of changing things for the better)

2. People need to grasp reality and hold on tight. States don't give 2 shits about non residents feelings. They protect their own, offer opportunity to NR and let you take it or leave it. Sure enough bitching could move the app deadline back. But wyoming knows they have a superior product and for every person that doesn't apply anymore they have 2 more with more money ready to buy! It's only going to get more expensive everywhere, start budgeting to play the game.

3. If you are bent out of shape about floating the money on a credit card then don't do it. Over 5 months it adds about $90 per $1000 spent on applications if you use normal credit card rates. If you don't have cash, or a 0% card. . . Don't apply if that $90 is gonna break you!

4. This could be good, it may slow point creep a bit but I'd bet short term it does the opposite. My guess is a number of people in the 7 to 12 point range won't like it and will dump points on a sure thing accelerating point creep for a few years just like the fee increases. Again get used to it.

5. Move to Wyoming! I mean if you feel the cost of housing, and food, and everything else is lower than where you are and you can swing it, then go!!! Me I'll stay in Nebraska where my 2900 sq foot house in a nice town is only $140,000 and everything but taxes are relatively cheap! I'll just spend extra on Wyoming holding my money, Colorado requiring a small game license, etc.

Seems cheaper than living on the front range or buying a house in lots of Wyoming communities! Also if lots of you applying for NR tags move it will help my draw odds by .0027%

Merry Christmas everyone!

mlgc20

WKR
I certainly don't like/understand some of the rules that the western states put in place (I.e., WY wilderness law). However, I recognize that legally they don't have any obligation to look out for me and my needs or wants. And I also recognize that they are in basically a no-win situation. They are tasked with managing a scarce asset/resource/commodity. And largely they don't use price to manage how the scarce resource gets allocated. (Imagine what the cost of a WY NR tag would be if they did away with the draw and just put them on the open market.) So, if they aren't going to use price, then we are left with some sort of draw system. There are a million ways they could set that up. And there is no doubt that we would complain about it. While not perfect I think they are doing pretty well given the circumstances. Either we will complain about the process, the price or having too many hunters. And some people will complain about all 3.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Can someone help me understand (or maybe more accurately, to quantify the impact of) the "holding the money" issue? Not trying to be sarcastic here. I'm in the process of figuring out my 2020 plan(s) and this thread has made me see that I don't know jack$hit, about WY and many other states.

On the optimistic end: if you have the money at the application deadline, I'd *think* you are out about 2% *annually* (assuming you have the top savings account rate) or about $6 (based on 3.5 months) per $1k on "deposit" with WY. Plus a credit card fee of 2.5% - or $30 per $1k?

In the worst case scenario (IMHO): if you don't have the money on 1/31, you presumably would be putting the $ on a credit card and have to pay it, a credit card fee (2.5% right?) and interest (let's say 20% annually), which I estimate to combine for a total of about $83 per $1k.

Is the complaint about the lost opportunity cost, period (including on principle), or that it is longer than it was, or that it is longer than other states? Or that a planned periodic savings plan (to set aside monthly savings, for example) is accelerated? Even if it amounts to some $ lost (I don't *want* to throw away $83 or $30), aren't there some states that have other friction or transactional costs even if you don't draw? Or in some states can you apply without fronting the money or paying any nonrefundable fees and have essentially a free call option if you win? Could WY have moved the application deadline, or required less up front, or permitted payment by ACH transfer, but added a higher non-refundable application fee and/or just increased all NR tag costs?

I get that there is a distaste for *why* this rule is as it is, but my impression is that folks in this group aren't the ones to receive that feedback and that the result is one of those sausage making/horse-trading outcomes from rule and legislative type changes. (Not to say that folks shouldn't try to get the rule changed, but I'm guessing that would be more of a 2021 effort.)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I think guys who bitch are spreading themselves too thin. They want in on the action in too many states aiming for the stars and dreaming of killing big bulls all over the place.

If that’s your strategy you should be glad that Wyoming just gave you the time to see if you hit the Powerball somewhere before “settling” for Wyoming.

And how kind of them to allow you to ask for your money back all the way into May!

Look at it this way..... They opened a savings account for you so that you have gas money to go to your number one pick when the time comes. IF IT EVER COMES!

The complaining reminds me of a girlfriend who is constantly telling her man what’s wrong with him. He must be doing something right because she keeps bitching... but never leaves.

I would like to wish all of you guys who apply for multiple licenses the very best of luck drawing a tag somewhere other than the Cowboy State. Merry Christmas!

Huh, I wasn't aware that there were OTC resident elk tags in Wyo.
I have a friend who hunts region G for mulies every year. I’m a “cup half full” kinda guy so I’m happy for him and now that I have 7 points I am happy for me that he knows some great places to hunt. He drew an elk tag in 100 last year. I’ll never draw that.

But let me tell you life isn’t always peachy for him and his wife. The rich NON RESIDENTS have had terrible effects on the real estate market. After getting married this year they bought the cheapest house they could find. One that needed some work for $375,000. At a quarter of a million dollars more than my house he could buy freakin governor’s tags to kill monster bulls if the cost of living hadn’t gone to shit from outside influences. He might starve if the state didn’t give him a few hunting licenses. He moved there from Georgia knowing that he’d be making some sacrifices to enjoy what Wyoming has to offer. Feel free to give it a try.

This non resident will never complain. Every year I kill my bull and I thank Gary Fralich the super nice biologist for doing an outstanding job. And he thanks me for choosing to come hunt in his state.

LostArra

WKR
Gen Elk licenses are OTC for residents.
Thanks Bob
I'm a non resident elk hunter in Wyo
I've never applied for a general tag but since they are listed in resident drawing odds I always just assumed they were "drawn".

The Wyo residents I hunt with have about a 20-25% chance to draw a tag (bull) in the unit we hunt which is better than my 2-3% (as it should be) but we all usually manage to get cow tags.

As long as I'm elk hunting Wyo every fall I don't care if the resident tags come from vending machines at gas stations.

Merry Christmas!

And remember folks:
Don't tie up your money in Cheyenne
HUNT COLORADO 2020 LARGEST ELK HERD IN AMERICA !

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I have a friend who hunts region G for mulies every year. I’m a “cup half full” kinda guy so I’m happy for him and now that I have 7 points I am happy for me that he knows some great places to hunt. He drew an elk tag in 100 last year. I’ll never draw that.

But let me tell you life isn’t always peachy for him and his wife. The rich NON RESIDENTS have had terrible effects on the real estate market. After getting married this year they bought the cheapest house they could find. One that needed some work for $375,000. At a quarter of a million dollars more than my house he could buy freakin governor’s tags to kill monster bulls if the cost of living hadn’t gone to shit from outside influences. He might starve if the state didn’t give him a few hunting licenses. He moved there from Georgia knowing that he’d be making some sacrifices to enjoy what Wyoming has to offer. Feel free to give it a try.

This non resident will never complain. Every year I kill my bull and I thank Gary Fralich the super nice biologist for doing an outstanding job. And he thanks me for choosing to come hunt in his state.

Gary is an outstanding dude...one heck of a biologist and always a fun deal to chat with him on the phone. Its always a good year when I can blow up his phone!