Wyoming 2020 deadline

MOSO 300

FNG
Correct.

The discrepancy in tags was on the Resident side of the draw...we weren't getting 84% of the LQ tags required by statute. That resulted in a pretty significant amount of LQ tags not being issued to R hunters (around 300).

Buzz out of curiosity was 300 the norm on res shortage or a extremely high year that was magnified by significant lower quotas after data had been gathered?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BuzzH

WKR
Buzz was 300 a norm or a extremely high year that magnified by lower quotas after data had been gathered?

I really don't know, didn't look at prior years.

If I would have ventured a guess when we asked for the report, I would have thought NR's were getting shorted LQ tags...but that wasn't the case.

It would depend on whether quotas increased or decreased after the NR draw.

MOSO 300

FNG
I really don't know, didn't look at prior years.

If I would have ventured a guess when we asked for the report, I would have thought NR's were getting shorted LQ tags...but that wasn't the case.

It would depend on whether quotas increased or decreased after the NR draw.

JM77

FNG
Buzz out of curiosity was 300 the norm on res shortage or a extremely high year that was magnified by significant lower quotas after data had been gathered?

The 300 plus tags was abnormally high due to a change of language in regulation. In this case, after getting the language changed to allow a closer reflection of a true 84/16 split, I met with two members of the License Review Board to get the 300 licenses reinstated. Inaccurate allocation of licenses was just one problem with the early draw.

Fatcamp

WKR
No, by LAW the NR hunters are awarded 16% of LQ elk tags...not 15.9%, not 16.1% (with the exception of over-issuing due to a party application). They are also limited, again, by LAW to 7250 full price elk tags.

In some cases, NR hunters were not getting any LQ tags in new seasons approved by the commission in April. 100% of the those tags were going to residents.

The whole point of the change was to give biologists the time they needed to manage elk correctly, collect the pertinent data, allow the public process to happen, and allow the commission to correct anything to do with elk seasons, dates, license types, errors in regulation, etc. etc. PRIOR to anyone drawing a single tag.

IF NR hunters lose a few LQ permits that they were never entitled to by LAW, well, that's a good change as well...but a small, ancillary benefit.

Like I said, NR hunters will still get the exact same number of full price elk tags they always have...7250. If you don't like the change, fine, but quit trying to find a reason to be pissed about it.

The change corrects the problems the early elk draw was creating, that was the "whole point".

Lots of places to hunt elk if you don't like the new way Wyoming Residents have decided to manage their drawing and elk.

Oh, you have me all wrong. I'm not mad or upset about anything. I'm just pointing out that you and your friends keep saying NR are getting the same thing when that is not the case. NR will get 300 fewer LQ tags. That may well be fair, but it is a change.

You didn't like the quota being wrong and fixed it. Great. As an aside, we now have a draw date months later, our money held for those same months, and 300 fewer LQ tags. This may be for the best and also be following the rule of law, but as the saying goes, don't piss down my neck and tell me it's raining.

BuzzH

WKR
Oh, you have me all wrong. I'm not mad or upset about anything. I'm just pointing out that you and your friends keep saying NR are getting the same thing when that is not the case. NR will get 300 fewer LQ tags. That may well be fair, but it is a change.

You didn't like the quota being wrong and fixed it. Great. As an aside, we now have a draw date months later, our money held for those same months, and 300 fewer LQ tags. This may be for the best and also be following the rule of law, but as the saying goes, don't piss down my neck and tell me it's raining.
You’re just wrong...you aren’t getting 300 less lq tags....fact

wapitibob

WKR

Where are you coming up with nr losing 300 lq tags? The 300 number mentioned was resident tags.

I'll try this one more time.

Nr have a quota of 16% of the total allotment. That 16% is comprised of 16% of each hunt area (lq tags), and 16% of the GEN tags.

In 2018 there were 3,181 nr lq tags available to be drawn. Nr landowners and nr public hunters only applied for, and drew, 2,603 of them. Leaving an un-issued balance of 577 nr lq tags.

In 2018 there were 4,069 GEN tags available to be drawn and nr drew all of them.

3,181 lq tags + 4,069 gen tags = 7,250 total nr tags, as directed by legislation.

Because WY fills party apps up to 6 applicants, there were some hunt areas that exceeded an individual area quota. There were 154 of those "over fill tags" issued in 2018. Because nr chose not to apply for, and receive, their full 3,181 lq tags, the dept back filled with gen tags, minus the "over fill tags", up to the 7,250 tag requirement. There were 423 of those back fill special gen tags issued in 2018 (577-154). These "back fill" tags aren't shown on the Special Gen demand (draw odds) report because the report is created prior to this "quota balance" procedure.

The 16% nr quota per hunt area isn't changing. The "over fill tags" will continue as that regulation isn't changing, and it has no affect on any other lq hunt area quota; ie an over fill in one hunt area doesn't decrease the quota in another hunt area. The 7,250 nr quota also isn't changing.

Once again, nr are not losing any lq tags in 2020. In fact, nr could increase the total number of lq tags issued by simply applying for all the lq tags that are available, to the tune of about 400 tags.

Last edited:

Bobbyboe

WKR
^^^ Great explanation WapitiBob - now the only thing some people can bitch about is the delay in the draw results
Yes, a great explanation. As a non resident I can understand the change and am happy Wyoming gives us 16% of the tags, as opposed to 10% or less in other states. But, I am disappointed that they are keeping my money for so long. It’s a shame that the outfitters have such a pull when it comes to rule making. It’ll be interesting to see if the delayed draw had any affect on number of applicants.

Im sitting on 9 points and hoping to draw my first elk tag. I will be putting in for New Mexico also and will withdraw my Wyoming application if successful for elk or deer.

I can’t see how this change will cost Wyoming money (people will still buy points and tags), but I do think some outfitters will lose business. I think this is especially true in NW Wyoming where you need a guide to hunt wilderness. I certainly would never tie up money on an outfitter down payment and the tag, unless I was 100% certain I was going to draw.

Bobbyboe

WKR
In addition, I have a side thought not directed at anyone here and it’s only my opinion. I appreciate people fighting for what’s right in regards to improving wildlife in their state. It’s great that people are passionate and still care. That being said it wears old when some residents say, “if you don’t like it, stay the hell out” or something similar. We are all non residents in 49 other states. Making changes to improve wildlife is great, making changes to spite or exclude non residents is not. In my non educated opinion I can quickly come up with two examples; Wy wilderness laws and SD non resident archery dates. I really wish residents would stand up for whats right in those cases. There are many, many more. Now that I think of it, Wy general region deer license cuts (due to too much pressure....) while residents are unlimited, is one that chaps me too. Oh, and NM outfitter welfare.

Anyways, thank you Buzz, jm77, wapiti and all the others who are looking out for wildlife. I appreciate your thought and input on topics which I may not be fully educated on. In addition, your updates on topics such as season structure, winter conditions, grizzlies, wolves, Indian treaty's and other things is extremely helpful to us non residents.

KurtR

WKR
In addition, I have a side thought not directed at anyone here and it’s only my opinion. I appreciate people fighting for what’s right in regards to improving wildlife in their state. It’s great that people are passionate and still care. That being said it wears old when some residents say, “if you don’t like it, stay the hell out” or something similar. We are all non residents in 49 other states. Making changes to improve wildlife is great, making changes to spite or exclude non residents is not. In my non educated opinion I can quickly come up with two examples; Wy wilderness laws and SD non resident archery dates. I really wish residents would stand up for whats right in those cases. There are many, many more. Now that I think of it, Wy general region deer license cuts (due to too much pressure....) while residents are unlimited, is one that chaps me too. Oh, and NM outfitter welfare.

Anyways, thank you Buzz, jm77, wapiti and all the others who are looking out for wildlife. I appreciate your thought and input on topics which I may not be fully educated on. In addition, your updates on topics such as season structure, winter conditions, grizzlies, wolves, Indian treaty's and other things is extremely helpful to us non residents.

I agree that they should not have changed when nr can hunt public here. We should have went to limited quota draw archery so to manage numbers better and need to raise our prices to get in line with other western states. But I learned when I was 6 or so life ain’t fair

No other state treats NR’s like a second class citizen like Wyoming.

“Here let me keep your $1100 for 5 months just in case you might use your 3 points to draw a general tag.” Lol.

Bobbyboe

WKR
No other state treats NR’s like a second class citizen like Wyoming.

“Here let me keep your $1100 for 5 months just in case you might use your 3 points to draw a general tag.” Lol.

Im not sure if this is sarcastic or not, but I disagree. I don’t like the draw result date, but I’ll take the 16% tag allotment away gives us. Far worse States than Wy for non residents.