Wyoming 37-6

thillman

FNG
Hello,

Looking at getting in the left over draw in Wyoming for the 2021 season in hopes of chasing cow elk. My understanding of unit 37 so far is lots of roads, lots of folks and lots of elk, but in places where NR public land hunters can't hardly access them. That being said, is this an area that someone can have a chance at punching a tag with time, miles under your feet, and determination? I've hunted late season cows in December twice now with no luck. Hoping that maybe hunting the earlier portion of the season will have its advantages. I'd like to bounce some thoughts off of someone if they are willing to PM me. If not, no biggie and I understand.

Thanks

wytx

WKR
Not sure you'll find any leftover tags and read this from the hunt planner:

General Statement Regarding This Hunt Area: Hunt Area 37 is a difficult area to hunt. Elk tend to move to steep, heavily timbers areas or private lands relatively early in the season. Access to these animals becomes very limited. Motorized access to the interior of the hunt area is limited and trails are unimproved. Check the Bighorn National Forest travel regulations for more information. There are backcountry hunting opportunities in the Cloud Peak Wilderness during the September archery season (licensed guide required for nonresident hunters). Access to private lands for elk hunting is extremely limited. Hunters planning to hunt on private lands, especially during the late season cow hunt, should secure access to private lands prior to applying for or purchasing a license. Archery hunting can be good during September when elk still occupy public lands. Dispersed camping opportunities are available on the Bighorn National Forest.

Hello,

Looking at getting in the left over draw in Wyoming for the 2021 season in hopes of chasing cow elk. My understanding of unit 37 so far is lots of roads, lots of folks and lots of elk, but in places where NR public land hunters can't hardly access them. That being said, is this an area that someone can have a chance at punching a tag with time, miles under your feet, and determination? I've hunted late season cows in December twice now with no luck. Hoping that maybe hunting the earlier portion of the season will have its advantages. I'd like to bounce some thoughts off of someone if they are willing to PM me. If not, no biggie and I understand.

Thanks
Thillman, I have hunted the 37-6 season a couple of years . It used to be earlier which was good , but I think it was bumping into early archery guys and Wyoming moved it into october. I have shot one cow elk ,but nothing since . Have hunted hard and not seen and elk all week . All of the things you described above seem pretty accurate. The line there is the elk are all down at the " horseshoe ranch". Basically everyone starts up high and elk are pushed to lower elevation down to the ranch on private land . I think the elk filter through in small groups from high ,but not large herds like late season. There is a small window of time before general season opens and then it really gets crowded. If you check Wyoming game and fish for that area stats are there on success rates per days hunted and they are low. We hunted mainly because it was last option and didn't get drawn for other areas . Would rather hunt than not . Good luck

OP
thillman

thillman

FNG
Thillman, I have hunted the 37-6 season a couple of years . It used to be earlier which was good , but I think it was bumping into early archery guys and Wyoming moved it into october. I have shot one cow elk ,but nothing since . Have hunted hard and not seen and elk all week . All of the things you described above seem pretty accurate. The line there is the elk are all down at the " horseshoe ranch". Basically everyone starts up high and elk are pushed to lower elevation down to the ranch on private land . I think the elk filter through in small groups from high ,but not large herds like late season. There is a small window of time before general season opens and then it really gets crowded. If you check Wyoming game and fish for that area stats are there on success rates per days hunted and they are low. We hunted mainly because it was last option and didn't get drawn for other areas . Would rather hunt than not . Good
Thanks for the reply. Kinda figured the same, though the odds are low, I'd rather hunt than not.

4rcgoat

WKR
Its hit and miss in that area,weather plays a big role......early snow has a lot of the cows down on private quickly. Cover lots of ground and be persistent, they are in there. I dont think 37 has too many roads,lots of timber to slip into.

Behlftball

Lil-Rokslider
Good luck. I hope you can get your tag

Sent from my SM-A215U using Tapatalk

OP
thillman

thillman

FNG
Its hit and miss in that area,weather plays a big role......early snow has a lot of the cows down on private quickly. Cover lots of ground and be persistent, they are in there. I dont think 37 has too many roads,lots of timber to slip into.
Thanks!