Wyoming 37 Cow Elk

Looking to put my name in the hat for a cow elk tag 37-6. How accessible Is this unit by truck?

Just looking to get my feet wet elk hunting so was thinking take red grade road or hunter creek road in? Can you typically get back in pretty far via these roads in a truck in the October 15th-25th time frame?

Was also considering parking at the hunter trail head and trying to get a good 3-4 mile hike back in. Probably not ideal as I’m sure the hunting pressure will be high but going out for mule deer and was just looking to add a cow tag if i got lucky.

Not looking for anyones hunting spots but if anyone has some feedback on truck accessibility and some potetnial parking areas i would appreciate it. Just starting to do some research now As was planning on hunting antelope as well but did not get a tag.

Thanks.

Trial153

WKR
The unit is cut pretty good, you will be fine. Later especially for cows look for places that are dropping down, more so if weather hit early.

jmez

WKR
All depends on the weather. They can get a lot of snow in the Bighorns in Oct. One thing you won't do anywhere in the Bighorns, is drive away from pressure.

I haven't been in 37 but other units in the Bighorns, other than the wilderness area, if you walk four miles you will cross 3 roads or trails in the process.

justin84

Lil-Rokslider
From what I’ve heard by mid October either the weather or pressure will have the majority of elk down into private land.

Plenty of roads in the area, though. Not sure I’d want to be a few miles back on some of them if the weather went south.

wyodan

WKR
Lots of roads through that country. You can get away from the roads by either going high or fairly low in the area. Roadways pretty much traverse the middle country.

HoytHntr4

WKR
Is the 37-6 tag only valid off national forest land? Looking at the regulations and seasons there was no quota for for type 6 tags for the entire area? That’s how I’m reading it but someone please correct me if I’m wrong

Be careful talking about specific areas and roads on here as now any time anyone does a Google search on the unit this thread will come up. That late in the season most of the cows will be on private