Wyoming 87 cow tag

Rossblank21

FNG
Classified Approved
Hey fellas, I drew a cow tag with an archery stamp for the late season (December) elk season in area 87. I’m curious what the weather is typically like out here at this time. I’d imagine obviously snow but Is the unit still accessible/huntable ?

waitforit

Lil-Rokslider
I am familiar with that area but looks like you have already gone. Had I seen this earlier I would suggest looking at the Snotel data for the nearest station. In general - that area gets a TON of snowfall in total.

Wyobull

FNG
Predicting the weather in Western Wyoming in December,LOL That area is one of the first to get snow. Depending on how deep it gets will determine your access. The downside is that the elk know if winter is coming with intent, they have already started the migration to a feed grounds.

Wyoming Nimrod

Lil-Rokslider
Rossblank21, how did your hunt go? I live not too far from there but have only hunted it once. There should have been some elk there in December considering how mild of a winter it was, but I could also see them having moved off already. Then again it would not make sense for Game and Fish to issue a tag that time of year for an area with no animals…. Would love to know if you hunted what you saw and hopefully you were successful.