Wyoming 9-11 points

SoDak_23

FNG
Looking for advice for places to look into for 3 non residents to hunt elk in 2-3 years. We have been building up points and I have talked privately to a few of the forum members (thank you for the advice!). Not wanting to pay for a fully guided hunt but open to paying for access or a drop camp hunt in a good area. Preferably away from Grizzly country as we have no experience/advice but just wanted to start narrowing down some areas if anyone has any advice feel free to PM me. I've done some research and have a couple spots in mind but want to explore some options before I start calling biologists. Thanks!

ST52v

WKR
Here’s my advice for what it is worth. With point creep and the number of people with points, this is probably a once and a lifetime hunt. Listen to Randy Newburgh’s pod cast on the subject. Pick some units and hunt them for deer, bear, or cow elk. Hunt it for a couple years and learn it to make the most out of the tag.

cravingame

Lil-Rokslider
Here’s my advice for what it is worth. With point creep and the number of people with points, this is probably a once and a lifetime hunt. Listen to Randy Newburgh’s pod cast on the subject. Pick some units and hunt them for deer, bear, or cow elk. Hunt it for a couple years and learn it to make the most out of the tag.
That is some very solid advice! I suggest also deciding on the type of area you want to hunt. Thick Mountain Forrests and Lower Cedar/Juniper Country can be very different types of hunts. Good luck!

OP
SoDak_23

SoDak_23

FNG
All great advice. I have been watching/listening to a ton of Randy Newberg stuff since starting to get serious about Elk Hunting. He is a great resource.

OP
SoDak_23

SoDak_23

FNG
I have been leaning towards Unit 11 (only 3 hours from me) or Unit 45 in the Bighorns. I hope to be able to get up to 45 and check it out. I was in 11 a couple weeks ago and has a few open meadows but is also some thick country.

cravingame

Lil-Rokslider
I have been leaning towards Unit 11 (only 3 hours from me) or Unit 45 in the Bighorns. I hope to be able to get up to 45 and check it out. I was in 11 a couple weeks ago and has a few open meadows but is also some thick country.

Thick country would usually involve the use of more calling and open country can become more of a spot and stalk type of hunt.

jvonbank

Lil-Rokslider
I plan on hitting up unit 7 again when I have enough points. Unfortunately I've only got 2 now so it will be awhile. :(

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk