Wyoming 90/10 for elk

Anyone that spends February in Wyoming is because they have to
Or maybe just maybe they choose to because they actually enjoy it some people enjoy the snow ,wind and cold my wife and I enjoy winter here in Montana and we visit her relatives in Minnesota quite a bit in Jan/feb
Not really one for 90-100 degree heat and 99-110% humidity

cnelk

WKR
Or maybe just maybe they choose to because they actually enjoy it some people enjoy the snow ,wind and cold my wife and I enjoy winter here in Montana and we visit her relatives in Minnesota quite a bit in Jan/feb
Not really one for 90-100 degree heat and 99-110% humidity

Lemme guess... when you visit Minnesota in Jan/Feb its south of Hwy 2...

Laramie

WKR
No but I can gaureentee you the residents do
I lived next door to two snow birds for 20 years. They maintained their property better than anyone else in my area. I was great friends with them until they passed away a few years ago. All of us would be so lucky to have neighbors like them... and yes they did hunt.

Fatcamp

WKR
There is a meth crisis in every state in the u s
So that can't really be used as a metric Montana is over run with meth look at the jail rosters 90% of inmates are there for meth possession ,sale ,distribution

Yup. Crap is everywhere.

Lemme guess... when you visit Minnesota in Jan/Feb its south of Hwy 2...
I grew up in and around the great lakes of NY
Snow cold wind freezing temps well below zero ice sleet etc Been there done that I'm used to cold temps & my wife grew up.in Wyoming
We have lived in Montana for 38 yrs so no cold doesn't bother us

I lived next door to two snow birds for 20 years. They maintained their property better than anyone else in my area. I was great friends with them until they passed away a few years ago. All of us would be so lucky to have neighbors like them... and yes they did hunt.
Over all the majority of residents don't like it.
Just check several other boards and you'll see
It's starting to piss residents of the western states off

Laramie

WKR
I understand your point, just never knew anyone to be upset when the neighbor wasn't home. The additional OTC hunters are likely what guys are upset about.

Doubt states care if someone moves or gains residency just to hunt and fish, In theory they’ll bring in more cash for the state and economy then they would if they were a resident of another state, many people don’t live in one place full time, been that way for many years.
There care sort of only if they can figure a way to fill their pockets.....In SC the tax rate is different for your primary residence than your 2nd home, think beach house. IIRC it like 5% difference. I can own 2 homes in the state of my residence and the tax rates are different.

I understand your point, just never knew anyone to be upset when the neighbor wasn't home. The additional OTC hunters are likely what guys are upset about.
I imagine driving up houseng cost straining local resources drug use ,destroying habitat to build theiir mc mantions also play a role

It's pretty common in any Eastern state with a coast, has been for years...I definitely plan on moving west when I retire in 6ish years, and I will still have a place on a coast...I like saltwater fishing too much.

Bighorner

WKR
Wyoming is 38th in graduation rate, 39th is student safety, 44th in AP Exam Scores, 40th in bullying & sexual harassments rate, and 36th in ACT scores. There are bunch of other metrics but in general the public schools in Wyoming aren't great. I didn't know that growing up there but as I have travelled the country quite a bit, the deficiencies are pretty glaring imo. That said, how good a school is really depends on the student imo.

By those numbers you are obviously more up to date than I am in that area. I was basing that mainly on the number of kids I see leaving high school just a few credits shy of an associate's based on AP class and general word on the street from happy parents, but it may be very relative.

CoStick

WKR
They can get “native” bumper stickers. It really apparently can be therapeutic.

tdhanses

WKR
I imagine driving up houseng cost straining local resources drug use ,destroying habitat to build theiir mc mantions also play a role
But when those families sell their land that has been owned for 8 generations only to be either bought by a wealthy NR or developed, they sure don’t bat an eye collecting the cash, residents also hate to see ranches sold to NR but most residents can’t afford the prices, yet will gladly collect if they don’t want to ranch.

Guess what I’m saying is it really doesn’t matter if residents like it or not, that is something they can’t control.

Last edited:
But when those families sell their land that has been owned for 8 generations only to be either bought by a wealthy NR or developed,
we are guilty of this as i said earlier my inlaws ranch (which ha been in the family for 8 generations ) will be handed down to my wife when it is she has made it 110% perfectly clear it will be on the market the day the deed good into our name as we want nothing to do with the ranch
Guess what I’m saying is it really doesn’t matter if residents like it or not, that is something they can’t control.
never said they could doesn't mean they are happy about it

Archer86

WKR
Maybe with all the talk about guys just moving here and meeting the minimum requirement so they can hunt. It's time wyoming starts looking at resident requirements if your going to use wyoming valuable resources is surely worth more then 6months a year I think this is a spot where I could be in favor of 90 10. If you want resident hunting privileges its got to be your primary residence 90 percent of the year.......

tdhanses

WKR
Maybe with all the talk about guys just moving here and meeting the minimum requirement so they can hunt. It's time wyoming starts looking at resident requirements if your going to use wyoming valuable resources is surely worth more then 6months a year I think this is a spot where I could be in favor of 90 10. If you want resident hunting privileges its got to be your primary residence 90 percent of the year.......
No vacation for you 😁

It's pretty common in any Eastern state with a coast, has been for years...I definitely plan on moving west when I retire in 6ish years, and I will still have a place on a coast...I like saltwater fishing too much.
your moving west after 38 yrs of living in montana we are moving back to the east coast as of next spring the west has lost its appeal