Wyoming 90/10 for elk

cgasner1

WKR
Pretty sure they also require you to be a resident for over a year and to have not held a resident tag for over a year prior it’s not just a 6 month jump into the promise land

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich M

WKR
When you talk about management vs ownership….it’s clear you need to leave this conversation to the big boys
The state can shut it all down, and will at some point in the future. Look at the other countries. Very easy to see what the future looks like.

go_deep

WKR
A lot of this conversation is interesting. As a resident of Wyoming, I see a lot of the opposite happening. People get older and retire, they move away from Wyoming, the weather and the mountains get to be to much for them.
As far as holding a resident hunting or fishing licenses in Wyoming, you have to live here for 12 full months before your considered a resident.

Jimss

WKR
The sign of the times is heading towards living as a resident in a state if you ever want to big game hunt In the Western US.

All of the posts I’ve been watching on several websites mention numerous guys retiring and moving to Wyo. I haven’t seen one post where hunters living in Wyo move away once retired.

I also believe once you get Wyo residency you can legally live in another state for several months (winter months) without losing Wyo residency.

The writing is on the wall with 90/10 or 90/5/5 that there will be a lot more hunters moving to Wyo than gained by a handful of additional tags issued to res. Draw odds may actually get worse for Wyo res if this happens.

Outfitter/landowner set aside tags will make it so it takes even more years to draw tags for both res and nonres. Landowner tags in Wyo are currently unlimited and taken off the top of the pile before draws occur. Why not buy a chunk of land in Wyo that qualifies so you can buy high demand landowner tags each and every year and bipass the drawing? Tags bite into res and nonres quotas each year with the current faulty landowner system. Why not put a cap on landowner tags and definitely keep them non-transferable.

Wags

WKR
Landowner tags in Wyo are currently unlimited and taken off the top of the pile before draws occur. Why not buy a chunk of land in Wyo that qualifies so you can buy high demand landowner tags each and every year and bipass the drawing? Tags bite into res and nonres quotas each year with the current faulty landowner system. Why not put a cap on landowner tags and definitely keep them non-transferable.

I'm a Non Resident landowner in Wyoming and I have no issues with keeping them Non Transferable. Colorado allows us to sell the vouchers and it's turned it into a business and bidding war. However 90% of my neighbors who sell vouchers don't even hunt. They just apply for and sell the vouchers for income. I don't blame the landowners for doing it, that's the system that was created there. The downside is its created a whole new group of applicants that would have never applied for tags. Those get soaked up and sold for profit instead of ending up in the hands of a hunter. I'd hate to see that happen in Wyoming.

wytx

WKR
The sign of the times is heading towards living as a resident in a state if you ever want to big game hunt In the Western US.

All of the posts I’ve been watching on several websites mention numerous guys retiring and moving to Wyo. I haven’t seen one post where hunters living in Wyo move away once retired.

I also believe once you get Wyo residency you can legally live in another state for several months (winter months) without losing Wyo residency.

The writing is on the wall with 90/10 or 90/5/5 that there will be a lot more hunters moving to Wyo than gained by a handful of additional tags issued to res. Draw odds may actually get worse for Wyo res if this happens.

Outfitter/landowner set aside tags will make it so it takes even more years to draw tags for both res and nonres. Landowner tags in Wyo are currently unlimited and taken off the top of the pile before draws occur. Why not buy a chunk of land in Wyo that qualifies so you can buy high demand landowner tags each and every year and bipass the drawing? Tags bite into res and nonres quotas each year with the current faulty landowner system. Why not put a cap on landowner tags and definitely keep them non-transferable.
180 days is all you can live out of state and still be a resident but you can not claim residency in another state too.

go_deep

WKR

Had 2 lineman I've worked with the last 10 years in the last month retired and moved out. Honestly, a lot of guys I work with when they hit around 50 don't even hunt anymore, I'm truly shocked at the amount of people I work with that don't hunt anymore.

Jimss

WKR
That’s a great deal to keep Wyo residency. Live in Wyo for 6 months from June through the November hunting season and then move somewhere with nice weather for 180 days (Dec to May).

tdhanses

WKR
Had 2 lineman I've worked with the last 10 years in the last month retired and moved out. Honestly, a lot of guys I work with when they hit around 50 don't even hunt anymore, I'm truly shocked at the amount of people I work with that don't hunt anymore.
I can’t imagine not hunting. I know of a number of people that live in WY 6-7 months out of the year, it isn’t a hard sacrifice to live one entire year to obtain residency.

tdhanses

WKR
That’s a great deal to keep Wyo residency. Live in Wyo for 6 months from June through the November hunting season and then move somewhere with nice weather for 180 days (Dec to May).
A friend of mine does this, lives in Costa Rica half the year.

204guy

WKR
Since we're way off topic. I wouldn't be surprised if when I retire I move out of state. It's quite a ways off so I'm not planning anything 1 way or another. I do kinda shake my head about anyone thinking they're going retire and move here. Thinking they're going to go tear it up killing animals in the mountains. The reality is unless you've lived a certain way staying fit AND been blessed with good genetics/luck you're not going to be out there taking names and kicking ass. Old guys certainly can and do go kill animals in the backcountry but it's the exception rather than the norm. A far better life plan would be to move here and tear it up when you're younger and then go live somewhere with great fishing when you retitre and your body is worn out. IMHO.

To the guys thinking middleclass income earners are going to be buying a second home for residency, might want to check the price of what you get for your $ before getting any grandiose ideas. "Hey honey, hear me out, we're going to buy and live in this 45yr old 1800 sf fixer upper for a year so I can get resident WY tags. Look this ones only $350,000, it's a good deal compared to what else I can find." LOL good luck with that.

To the guys thinking middleclass income earners are going to be buying a second home for residency, might want to check the price of what you get for your $ before getting any grandiose ideas. "Hey honey, hear me out, we're going to buy and live in this 45yr old 1800 sf fixer upper for a year so I can get resident WY tags. Look this ones only $350,000, it's a good deal compared to what else I can find." LOL good luck with that.

You don't look at housing prices outside of WY do you?

jmez

WKR
Perspective. The same fixer upper where they live is far more expensive. To them, it is cheap.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

204guy

WKR
You don't look at housing prices outside of WY do you?
Not really. But if you can afford or justify what I described as a SECOND home and your wife is willing to go for it, you're probably not middle class. If you're going to sell your house and move here obviously that's different.

Not really. But if you can afford or justify what I described as a SECOND home and your wife is willing to go for it, you're probably not middle class. If you're going to sell your house and move here obviously that's different.

A middle class dude/gal could do that no problem. You can later sell whatever you buy. You could rent, too. Or you could rent your old home while you're not living there.

To us, the other barriers are higher, like moving away from family. We will move there anyway, but it won't be easy at first.

tdhanses

WKR
What is middle class today? $350k is a starter home for a young family anymore.

I personally would rather buy raw land and build new. Something I think WY residents don’t consider is the no income tax, especially at retirement can be a huge savings and makes it very appealing and it helps that the other half already is onboard.

Last edited:

Jimss

WKR
The same $350,000 home in Wyo would likely cost around $500,000 in Colo.

A lot of retires may choose Wyo over Colo since they can get a lot more bang for their buck. It’s also tough to beat the hunting and fishing options available in Wyo compared to Colo. Wyo offers otc elk and deer plus excellent draw odds for all but the highest demand tags.
if I sold my Colo home I could buy a mansion on several acres in Wyo.

It really depends on where the person is moving from and the home values there.

A Wyo buddy of mine just retired and drew around 8 big game tags this year. Limited deer and elk plus a gob of doe and cow tags. Who says Wyo res don’t have great opportunity with tags set exactly how they are! As I’ve been saying all along, churning things up with the outfitter/landowner members on the Wyo task force will likely cause Wyo res more headaches and less opportunity. Hopefully this year is the beginning and end of the crazy task force!!!

fatlander

WKR
A middle class dude/gal could do that no problem. You can later sell whatever you buy. You could rent, too. Or you could rent your old home while you're not living there.

To us, the other barriers are higher, like moving away from family. We will move there anyway, but it won't be easy at first.

Exactly this. Leaving family is the problem, not cash flowing rental properties.

cgasner1

WKR
If I had the money for a second mortgage in Wyoming no way I would do it. I’d rather spend that money on hunting other things all over