Wyoming 90/10 task force!

tdhanses

WKR
You're wrong about a lot of things.

A good friend and I started the push for 90-10 6 years ago for ONLY the big-5. Its all there for you to research, the first several bills that Hicks ran for us were only for the big 5. Call BS all you want, but you're just flat wrong.

DEA came later, and for the record the first time Hicks tried that route, we advised it was not a good idea. Although that bill did come close to making it to the floor, one vote away. That was a direct response from the outfitters bashing Hicks pretty hard and also from direction of the GF to simplify the draws for both R and NR. His bill at the time made a lot of sense...and why it nearly happened.

I think its inevitable AND needs to happen for DEP as well, in particular with Deer and Pronghorn as the interest has increased substantially for both Mule Deer and Pronghorn by both R and NR hunters. I can tell you that as the push comes for all LQ mule deer hunting, 90-10 will be right on its heels. With declining numbers of both Pronghorn and Mule deer, the push for 90-10 on those species is picking up momentum all the time.

As long as general tags for Residents remain over the counter, 90-10 will be pushed out further. The second either deer or elk are statewide LQ, 90-10 will be demanded by the Residents. Probably sooner would be my guess as opportunities dry up elsewhere.

Residents here are going to look out for themselves and their families first...and rightfully so. We live here for a reason, and its not to make huge money or for the great climate.
Why do you feel DE will go statewide draw for residents?

Bobbyboe

WKR
I’m sure at some point we’ll be asked to help sign petitions for Grizz hunting or to help fight to keep cat hunting etc, we already see they want donations for corner crossing but really these are all resident issues and barely effect NR’s yet they ask NR’s for help.
This 1000%!

The organization pushing the corner crossing fund is managed by Buzz, the same person single-handedly pushing for a reduction in non resident tags.

BuzzH

WKR
10-4. And preference points are converting to bonus points for both residents and non residents for 2023?
Just to make sure you're clear...once in a lifetime on the big-5 including anyone that draws this year and is currently on the 5 year waiting period. 90-10 takes effect in 2023 draw.

I'm done with sheep, for example as I'm on the 5 year wait.

As of right now, nothing has changed preference point wise yet. IF that were to pass, the talk is to not implement for 5 years to give folks a chance to draw under preference.

I think conversion of preference to bonus points is going to be a hard sell.

I know the only reason you're asking is because of your point totals. If you were to draw, we'd never hear from you again.

Lawnboi

WKR
That's fine and I'm not trying to treat you like a kid. It's just that most people want to scream "it's not fair" and want to make changes that favor them (whatever side you land on). Not all people understand that there are specific reasons that NR are limited in some states but not nearly as much in others. But the truth is that all states give preference to their residents over NR (at a minimum in price), it's just at varying degrees. The degree to which a state protects it's residents is generally related to the impact that NR have or could on the resource. It's also cultural, some states are simply more protectionist than others. It's something that many eastern hunters don't understand. Not saying that you don't, but some of the comparisons and arguments in this thread lean that way.

Forgive me for stating the obvious here...
No worries. I see where your coming from.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Hey man, I like subscribed and pushed the notification bell. Better send me a free guided OIAL tag with my hat.
You have to smash that like button or it doesn't count. Do you smash bro?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Just to make sure you're clear...once in a lifetime on the big-5 including anyone that draws this year and is currently on the 5 year waiting period. 90-10 takes effect in 2023 draw.

I'm done with sheep, for example as I'm on the 5 year wait.

As of right now, nothing has changed preference point wise yet. IF that were to pass, the talk is to not implement for 5 years to give folks a chance to draw under preference.

I think conversion of preference to bonus points is going to be a hard sell.

I know the only reason you're asking is because of your point totals. If you were to draw, we'd never hear from you again.
1. Thanks for the information.

2. What would you like to hear from me about?

Bighorner

WKR
Tdhanses, it is about trophy hunting. I agree. There is still a ton of opportunity in Wyoming. There are a ton of guys that come out elk hunting every year, they just aren't hunting bulls. It takes on a different tone when someone says you are threatening my bull hunt as opposed to my elk hunt.

We all have different issues we prioritize. The corner issue is an important one. 90/10 doesn't get me super fired up. Most of us have abysmal chances regardless of the change to law. I'm happy Buzz took a stand on the corner issue. If he stands on the other side of the line on other issues so be it. I dont need to agree with or follow anyone blindly. I will throw in when it fits my prospective, I will argue it when it doesn't. I think we are all largely on the same side of the bigger picture.

Scottyboy

WKR
Sounds like the commissioner tags I get in for are the solution <for some>?? I honestly don’t follow the semantics of western tags as I’ve come to realize my days of going west to hunt antelope/deer/elk are for the most part done (not entirely true, I know). The fact that I can I have a x/x chance of getting any tag I want seems like my best chance. I recently threw in for a handful of chances on a WY commissioner tag and I was supposedly given “early access” to said tags given the amount of donated/applied for previously. The hand written thank you I got in the mail was a nice gesture. I guess what I’m saying, there seems to be a way to hunt Wyoming without playing the PP game, although my luck my x/300? Will never happen, but still better odds than me getting in the points game this time of my life. I’m sure I’ll catch flak for funding these tags, but for me…the chance of drawing this tag makes sense for me.

I hate the growing trend of decreasing NR big game opportunity across the West but it seems to be the predictable outcome. That being said I will still continue to apply and contribute my money and time through license sales and with various conservation organizations. We need to focus on making a bigger pie rather than carving out a bigger slice for ourselves.

LostArra

WKR
I’m sure at some point we’ll be asked to help sign petitions for Grizz hunting or to
I wouldn't worry about this.
No one is hunting grizz in Wyoming any time in the foreseeable future.
Signed grizzly hunt petitions are a waste of ink.

Maybe I'm wrong but history says I'm right.
The opposition to grizzly hunting is highly skilled in legal maneuvering.

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR

Same could be said for wolves, and we are still fighting it in the Midwest.

BuzzH

WKR

I heard the same thing about wolves in ID, MT, and WY.

I heard the same thing about Bison hunting in MT.

How did that work out?

Also, we could hunt grizzlies in Montana up to and including the Spring of 1993.

There will be seasons in MT and WY again...you heard it hear first.

tdhanses

WKR
I heard the same thing about wolves in ID, MT, and WY.

I heard the same thing about Bison hunting in MT.

How did that work out?

Also, we could hunt grizzlies in Montana up to and including the Spring of 1993.

There will be seasons in MT and WY again...you heard it hear first.
Possibly but it won’t be anytime soon.

Rich M

WKR
It’ll be interesting to see what hunting looks like in 25 years, I think we’ll see more opportunities possibly with far fewer participants, I do wonder what percentage of tags purchased are by baby boomers.
Less opportunities, less land to hunt, more population will be against hunting. That's what I see, looking back 40+ seasons, that's what i seen so far. Always changing.