Wyoming 90/10 task force!

question for buzz- is the 90/10 rule strictly going to be for big 5 and will it be each unit/region or just across the board?

LostArra

WKR
I heard the same thing about wolves in ID, MT, and WY.

I heard the same thing about Bison hunting in MT.

How did that work out?

Also, we could hunt grizzlies in Montana up to and including the Spring of 1993.

There will be seasons in MT and WY again...you heard it hear first.
I hope you're right but 1993 is not 2022.

question for buzz- is the 90/10 rule strictly going to be for big 5 and will it be each unit/region or just across the board?

As written it will only be for the big 5. I do not know about the second part of your question. I'm sure @BuzzH will clarify as that is a good question. Seems like it would be each unit but I could be assuming wrong.

BuzzH

WKR
As written it will only be for the big 5. I do not know about the second part of your question. I'm sure @BuzzH will clarify as that is a good question. Seems like it would be each unit but I could be assuming wrong.
Applies to statewide totals, so if there are 200 sheep tags, 20 will go to NR's spread across all the units. Some units will only offer a NR tag every once in a while, others will offer tags each year (those units with at least 10 available tags).

tdhanses

WKR
Applies to statewide totals, so if there are 200 sheep tags, 20 will go to NR's spread across all the units. Some units will only offer a NR tag every once in a while, others will offer tags each year (those units with at least 10 available tags).
As if this were not bad enough news, it could potentially get much, much worse for nonresident hunters in Wyoming. The WWTF, the Wyoming Wildlife Task Force set up by the Commission and the Governor, of which I know a few of the members personally, is apparently working out a potential compromise for a 90/10 allocation for deer, elk and antelope as well. This process is in its infancy and has a long, long way to go yet. At this point, from what I am hearing this compromise appears to include, transferable land-owner tags, and an up to 50% outfitter set aside for outfitted nonresident hunters. Needless to say, this change would be horrendous for the DIY nonresident hunter as the nonresident allotment would be cut in half, and then half of that would be set aside for guided hunters, all while further subtracting the nonresident landowner tags from this pool in addition.

Potentially under this possible system, the nonresident DIY hunter could see their odds of drawing an elk, deer and antelope tag in Wyoming cut by nearly 90%. For instance, the famed Region G deer tag, currently has a quota of 400 nonresident buck deer tags. Under the proposed system, that quota would automatically drop to 200 tags with the 90/10 law, then 100 of those remaining tags would be given to outfitters in the region and then at least half of those remaining 100 tags could be sold to nonresidents by landowners in the area taking the total DIY quota down to only 50 total tags or even less. With 2,150 total applicants (for the 2021 draw) for this hunt the amount of preference points needed to hunt here could skyrocket to over 40 points or more. This general region hunt could easily become a once-in-a-lifetime endeavor.

The 90/10 law for deer, elk and antelope still has a long way to go with some very large hurdles to be negotiated yet. If nothing, else, the financial repercussions of this change alone would be devastating for the Wyoming Game and Fish Department. Of the total $80 million budget, nonresident hunters and fisherman account for more than 60% of the revenue. This change could cut the department’s revenues by 30-40%. A cut of this magnitude would essentially be unsustainable. The residents will not bear this financial burden, we are confident in that, possibly leaving, yet again, the nonresident hunters to pick up the financial tab. We will keep you posted on the progress of this legislation as it progresses.

BuzzH

WKR
As if this were not bad enough news, it could potentially get much, much worse for nonresident hunters in Wyoming. The WWTF, the Wyoming Wildlife Task Force set up by the Commission and the Governor, of which I know a few of the members personally, is apparently working out a potential compromise for a 90/10 allocation for deer, elk and antelope as well. This process is in its infancy and has a long, long way to go yet. At this point, from what I am hearing this compromise appears to include, transferable land-owner tags, and an up to 50% outfitter set aside for outfitted nonresident hunters. Needless to say, this change would be horrendous for the DIY nonresident hunter as the nonresident allotment would be cut in half, and then half of that would be set aside for guided hunters, all while further subtracting the nonresident landowner tags from this pool in addition.

Potentially under this possible system, the nonresident DIY hunter could see their odds of drawing an elk, deer and antelope tag in Wyoming cut by nearly 90%. For instance, the famed Region G deer tag, currently has a quota of 400 nonresident buck deer tags. Under the proposed system, that quota would automatically drop to 200 tags with the 90/10 law, then 100 of those remaining tags would be given to outfitters in the region and then at least half of those remaining 100 tags could be sold to nonresidents by landowners in the area taking the total DIY quota down to only 50 total tags or even less. With 2,150 total applicants (for the 2021 draw) for this hunt the amount of preference points needed to hunt here could skyrocket to over 40 points or more. This general region hunt could easily become a once-in-a-lifetime endeavor.

The 90/10 law for deer, elk and antelope still has a long way to go with some very large hurdles to be negotiated yet. If nothing, else, the financial repercussions of this change alone would be devastating for the Wyoming Game and Fish Department. Of the total $80 million budget, nonresident hunters and fisherman account for more than 60% of the revenue. This change could cut the department’s revenues by 30-40%. A cut of this magnitude would essentially be unsustainable. The residents will not bear this financial burden, we are confident in that, possibly leaving, yet again, the nonresident hunters to pick up the financial tab. We will keep you posted on the progress of this legislation as it progresses.

Lots of BS in that article...largest of which are the funding numbers.

tdhanses

WKR
Lots of BS in that article...largest of which are the funding numbers.
What about the proposed outfitter handout and landowner tags?

In the end WY will figure out funding. Will the outfitter handouts and landowner tags apply only to LE units? If that happens GEN tags will become once in a lifetime. Personally I don’t see why residents would push for these things as I know they wouldn’t want it either and none of these would effect them, be nice to see if residents after they get what they want have any compassion for the NR.

Last edited:

BBob

WKR
"Second, the wildlife inside the borders of the state of Wyoming and any other state for that matter, is the sole property of the residents of that state, period. The residents of the state of Wyoming through their governmental representation have the full right and responsibility to regulate as they see fit, the full management of that wildlife in its entirety. Sometimes that can be a tough pill to swallow for nonresident hunters who are at the full mercy of the residents of said state, particularly when those nonresidents are so heavily invested financially and emotionally into a preference point system."

So goes Wyoming like so many states before it (90/10).