Wyoming 90/10 task force!

Jimss

WKR
Calling all Wyo nonres!

Are you aware that Wyoming has a task force that currently is meeting and figuring out strategies for stripping nonres of limited big game tags? Are you aware that Wyo outfitters could potentially strip DIY nonres hunters of tags similar to what New Mexico did several years ago?

Are you aware that with 90/10 that 1/2 of the current high demand nonres tags would be stripped from nonres? Cutting nonres limited tags in 1/2 carries a major impact to nonres while it only provides a handful more tags/unit to Wyoming residents. If you think point creep is bad now wait until it takes twice as long to draw high demand tags! The economic impacts to Wyo small town communities and the WG&F are also a reality!

If you are a DIY hunter that enjoys hunting without hiring an outfitter/guide I would also suggest providing comments to the task force. High demand tags could be taken directly away from the nonres hunter pool similar to what was done in New Mexico.

Now's your chance to speak up and voice your opinion! If you are a concerned nonres please send your comments to the task force. The more nonres that flood the task force with comments the more attention we can make! There is no one on the task force other than outfitters that are voicing DIY nonres hunters recommendations so make your voice made! Make sure to provide constructive comments at the following website.

Here's a link to the task forces website: https://sites.google.com/wyo.gov/wyomingwildlifetaskforce/home/public-input

dtrkyman

WKR
Looks like I need to cash in my Wy. points. Hopefully this is not put into law before next draw! I believe residents should generally have the bulk of the tags, what percentage is fair, I have no idea?

90/10 may be a bit rough but hard to argue, giving outfitters preference sux! I get the reasoning and have been a guide for over 20 years.

TheTone

WKR
Giving outfitters a split is the worst part by far. I’ve been banking points for a while and creep is already seriously devaluing them, as someone that has no plans to hunt with an outfitter this would make that even worse

LostArra

WKR
View attachment 299983
Been that way a while in my state.
Huh. I guess Oregon makes it work money-wise but it also may be why Oregon does not have the attraction for NR hunters nationwide even for species that are not found in every state (elk and antelope)..

Just scanning forum posts for elk and antelope on Rokslide, it takes about 3+ pages to even find a single discussion about Oregon for those species.

Does this mean all the Oregon residents are pleased and getting exactly the tags they want because they get 95-98% of the tags?

Rich M

WKR
@LostArra - yes, feel free to shout it from the rooftops.

With my limited exposure to WY hunting (went in 2017) - they've had the 90/10 thing in proposed legislation for a couple of years already. Definitely did in 2020 and 2021.

What i tend to see is that they test float things a few times to get folks used to thinking that way. Then they implement it cause we've already had a chance to get used to the concept. Same thing when in June the media says gas prices are "predicted to go to $X/gallon by December" - they just priming you to think that way and seem like prophets. How'd they know? LOL! It makes the price jump less of an inflammatory thing. Same here with the 90/10 thing.

We will see the 90/10 thing in the next couple of years. Yes it will change things, but that's how it goes.

4ester

WKR
Agreed, however federal lands federal dollars.

What exactly do the feds do for the national forest? I watch our local office…….they don’t fix roads, hire temp help to trim trails, won’t fix culverts, close roads for less access…..

The only thing I see them do is restrict access and check wood permits.
If they went away tomorrow could you tell?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wags

WKR
I’m a non resident landowner , enough acreage to qualify for 2 deer & 2 antelope tags & even my son (12) & I have a hard time drawing. Same in Colorado, I drew 1 out of 4 tags I applied for through their landowner program.

Seems each state is getting tougher each year. I understand the logic behind limiting draws to give residents more opportunity. There’s also a financial impact on those states that they’re obviously ok with taking. While I wish we had more tags for us non residents I can see why they do it. Imagine paying taxes and owning a home in your favorite area and not being able to hunt it... if anything I bet it’s inspired those fleeing Blue states to pick Wyoming as a landing spot. Which increases home sales & an influx in money. Interesting tactic .... point creep is here to stay unfortunately.

OP
J

Jimss

WKR
I really feel for those nonres that have invested 15 to 20+ years into the Wyo draw system and have been paying up to $150/year for a pref pt. Suddenly they may never have a chance to draw a tag. Pretty sad day for all nonres!

The same could easily happen to deer, elk, and antelope! If you enjoy hunting Wyo as a nonres DIY hunter I would definitely let your voice be heard! Here's the link to the next Task Force meeting. Keep a tight eye on the Task Force comments section on their website and be sure to leave your comments:

You may also want to contact task force members and Wyo legislators in person!

go_deep

WKR
I really feel for those nonres that have invested 15 to 20+ years into the Wyo draw system and have been paying up to $150/year for a pref pt. Suddenly they may never have a chance to draw a tag. Pretty sad day for all nonres!

The same could easily happen to deer, elk, and antelope! If you enjoy hunting Wyo as a nonres DIY hunter I would definitely let your voice be heard! Here's the link to the next Task Force meeting. Keep a tight eye on the Task Force comments section on their website and be sure to leave your comments:

You may also want to contact task force members and Wyo legislators in person!

Comment period closed in January.