Wyoming Antelope as first Western Hunt.

JParisi48

FNG
I had a trip planned with a buddy to go to Montana to hunt Elk. He bailed on me last minute and I can't afford to go alone unfortunately. So I was looking into other options and Wyoming Antelope is significantly cheaper and not as intimidating to do Solo. I've been looking into Wyoming Hunt Planner and since I have no points, most of the areas that are 100% draw chance have very little public land access. Was wondering if anyone has any insight as to how bad the access really is. I don't want to have to pay a trespass fee or anything since I am trying to make this a nice getaway for myself and on a relatively tight budget. If anyone would point me in the right direction or steer me away from a potential bad decision I'd appreciate it. Just doing as much research as I can now before I pull the trigger.

jolemons

WKR
Antelope is great introduction for inexperienced western hunters. WY always has some leftover tags that are doable as well.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

come2elmo

WKR
My buddies and I went to Wyoming for pronghorn last fall for our first western hunt Get Onx and research all those 100% units for access and look for some of the state walk in areas. Expect other guys to have your camping/hunting spot on there list too so be flexible. Also since Wyoming does have a random draw I would use your first choice on a premium unit and put one of the 100 percent units as second. We drew a red desert tag with 1.5% odds so it does happen. Plus you still get a point if you draw second choice.

Rich M

WKR
I've got family and friends in VT, NH, ME and spend my first 25 years hunting up there.

Did a limited access unit back in 2017, was on antelope 2 of the 3 days and put hunt partner on them the day I saw 0. You will figure a lot of things out once you get there. It isn't difficult if you can switch up your hunting techniques - most guys truck hunt.

Vehicles makes them nervous and the more vehicles they see the jitterier they get. I was abandoned on a piece of public by a rogue partner and was forced to stay on a smallish piece of public land all day for opening day while he drove around and road hunted by himself. The antelope were hiding from the trucks on opening morning at first light.

As for leftover tags, I'm not sure how many there will be. The 0 pt unit I hunted in 2017 is now a 1 pt+ unit for 2019. A lot of folks have decided that "now" is the time to go hunt antelope.

I want to go back again, could "just go" and shoot an antelope or two or three in that unit from 2017 but feel that there is a better experience out there if can wait a few years before going again. I don't need to "just hunt" - looking for less competition and a more relaxed atmosphere.

OP
J

JParisi48

FNG
I've got family and friends in VT, NH, ME and spend my first 25 years hunting up there.

Did a limited access unit back in 2017, was on antelope 2 of the 3 days and put hunt partner on them the day I saw 0. You will figure a lot of things out once you get there. It isn't difficult if you can switch up your hunting techniques - most guys truck hunt.

Vehicles makes them nervous and the more vehicles they see the jitterier they get. I was abandoned on a piece of public by a rogue partner and was forced to stay on a smallish piece of public land all day for opening day while he drove around and road hunted by himself. The antelope were hiding from the trucks on opening morning at first light.

As for leftover tags, I'm not sure how many there will be. The 0 pt unit I hunted in 2017 is now a 1 pt+ unit for 2019. A lot of folks have decided that "now" is the time to go hunt antelope.

I want to go back again, could "just go" and shoot an antelope or two or three in that unit from 2017 but feel that there is a better experience out there if can wait a few years before going again. I don't need to "just hunt" - looking for less competition and a more relaxed atmosphere.
Yea that sounds about how I feel as well. I don't want to just drive across the country to shoot an Antelope. I'd like to get the whole experience, I am sure there will be other people but my plan would be to get away from the truck hunters and walk in and camp for a few days-week or so. I'm sure its easier said than done but I won't until until I get out there.

JWP58

WKR
Just heed G&F's asterisk denoting difficult access, especially just east of buffalo and Sheridan. There are very few public roads in units like 17.

As far as any other, it simply comes down to pouring through previous years draw odds and finding a unit with decent odds and access. If you dont have onX, mytopo is a good resource.

Rich M

WKR
Yea that sounds about how I feel as well. I don't want to just drive across the country to shoot an Antelope. I'd like to get the whole experience, I am sure there will be other people but my plan would be to get away from the truck hunters and walk in and camp for a few days-week or so. I'm sure its easier said than done but I won't until until I get out there.

The idea is great - a fellow I know online did exactly that and was successful but only had 1 opportunity.

We stayed in a camping area and drove out every day - was nice having showers and clothes driers as we hunted in the rain. The original plan was to camp out on a big piece of BLM land and when we got there 2 days before the season the roads were a mess and lots of camps already set up. We assessed the situation and decided that a change in plans was in order - good thing hing too - there were 2 days of rain and finally a heavy freeze (froze the ground solid). If we were in the BLM we would have had to pack up and leave the morning of the freeze. Nasty clay gumbo for soil - sticks to boots and tires etc.

The access laws are a bit diff too - need to have a county or state road that provides access to public land. If not, then can't hunt it.

WoolyBugger

Lil-Rokslider
If I remember correctly, I searched through the leftovers last year and struggled to find one in a unit with good access to public ground. Found a couple that had a small chunk here and there but nothing I could commit to

wytx

WKR
You might look into the regs and see which areas have a tag increase for this year and apply in one of those areas for better odds. Your buck tag doesn't have to be in the same area as doe tags. If you want, put in for a good doe area since they are random draw and a buck tag in a limited access area you can draw with 0 PP.

Ceo

FNG
I haven't narrowed it down to a specific area yet, I am pretty much open to anywhere as long as I can get a tag or two.
When you narrow yo
I haven't narrowed it down to a specific area yet, I am pretty much open to anywhere as long as I can get a tag or two.
When you narrow some areas down and they are listed as hard public access, it won't necessarily mean there is no access. It just means you may have to take 2 track roads to get around behind private lands to public lands. also be willing to put some boots on the ground. Check the area maps to see how the private lands and BLM/state lands are situated. Then check a satellite map to see what roads can get you close. The BLM maps have most of those roads listed and are pretty good to get you to an area. Note if a road on the BLM map has a number assignment to it because private landowners can't block access if it's numbered. This is comming from the Wyoming fish and Game and they will back you up on it if you notify a game warden. Alot of the time there will be a state parcel that butts up to BLM and gives you access.

Im heading out there this year with my 12 year old daughter , am paying the trespass fee. We have 0 points so Its a pretty reasonable fee while we build points and to give her a shot at being successful. I have a couple units that i will snoop around while I’m out there in hopes of DIY next year with her

Fishforfun

Lil-Rokslider
Im heading out there this year with my 12 year old daughter , am paying the trespass fee. We have 0 points so Its a pretty reasonable fee while we build points and to give her a shot at being successful. I have a couple units that i will snoop around while I’m out there in hopes of DIY next year with her
I’m doing the exact same thing. It’s her first hunt where she gets to actually hunt vs watching me.

cnelk

WKR
There is nothin NOT FUN about pronghorn hunting.

Be sure to research HMAs, as they are sometimes overlooked for good pronghorn hunting

smccardell

Lil-Rokslider
In regards to leftover licenses I pull his straight from the WGFD website

"LEFTOVER LICENSE DRAW - Any leftover licenses from the initial draw will be distributed through a leftover draw. The list of leftover licenses will be available below, on June 22. The application period will be five days, June 24-28, 2019.

Leftover draw results will be available on July 11."