Wyoming Antelope - Bad News

BD1965

FNG
I think everyone should expect further reductions in antelope tags for the foreseeable future. WG&F have confirmed an EHD outbreak in the Eastern half of Wyoming. It is mainly impacting antelope and whitetails so far according to the article.
This really sux all around I have 4 pts built up and this may make it require many more. 😳

manitou1

WKR
The areas I hunt are way down the past couple of years. Some areas I have hunted with 100% success filling 4 tags are almost void of antelope this year.
Hunting pressure was astonishing this year. About five-fold of what I have observed in years past... for elk, mule deer and antelope.

How can the pressure be so much worse with fewer tags issued in most areas?

Agreed that numbers are way down in the areas we hunt. Tags were also slashed this year and probably should be for awhile until it improves. This didn't happen overnight, but it accelerated the last few years.

Rich M

WKR
How can the pressure be so much worse with fewer tags issued in most areas?

Agreed that numbers are way down in the areas we hunt. Tags were also slashed this year and probably should be for awhile until it improves. This didn't happen overnight, but it accelerated the last few years.
Not that there are more hunters. Guys are less likely to drive to the next herd of they see you stalking, they instead get in the game and make a move regardless of what you are doing.

Not that there are more hunters. Guys are less likely to drive to the next herd of they see you stalking, they instead get in the game and make a move regardless of what you are doing.

If what you say is true, and I believe it is, then being considerate, having some respect and being an ethical hunter is gone from the ranks. Sad situation.

ClearCreek

Lhook7

FNG
The areas I hunt are way down the past couple of years. Some areas I have hunted with 100% success filling 4 tags are almost void of antelope this year.
Hunting pressure was astonishing this year. About five-fold of what I have observed in years past... for elk, mule deer and antelope.
My experience was the same. We saw nearly as many hunters as we did antelope. The logical supposition would be that they were nonresidents who had to hunt the tags they drew because it was going to take them a few years to build up enough points to draw again, but that was not the case where I was hunting; every vehicle had a WY plate. Definitely strange, and I can’t figure it out.

manitou1

WKR
My experience was the same. We saw nearly as many hunters as we did antelope. The logical supposition would be that they were nonresidents who had to hunt the tags they drew because it was going to take them a few years to build up enough points to draw again, but that was not the case where I was hunting; every vehicle had a WY plate. Definitely strange, and I can’t figure it out.
My hunting buddies and I averaged seeing about 18 non-resident vehicles per every 2 Wyoming plates. Was crazy here.

Jimss

WKR
It sounds like quite a few nonres don’t know what they are getting into after they draw tags. With fewer antelope it can be a lot more challenging and complicated than it was in the good ole days.

4ester

WKR
Saw tons of antelope. Think I had 2 does down and back to the house in 1.5 hrs. But may not be the same situation statewide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even though I did not draw a tag this year for goats, seen a bunch while hunting mule deer, the only other hunters I saw was the guys I hunted with and that was at the end of the days hunt. Only huntrd two days out of a five day hunt, spent the rest of the hunt watching a blizzard. And yes we are NR hunters, we shall see what happens in the 2023 hunt, the hunt is all lined up, I DO NOT HUNT FROM A TRUCK ROAMING THE ROADS, PARK AND HOOF IT ALL DAY. that is if I can draw a tag.

cb122

FNG
I spoke to a biologist last week. They said it was the lowest population they’d seen in 30 years. It will be interesting to see what numbers look like after the winter and come March when discussions on tags begin within WGF.

manitou1

WKR
I spoke to a biologist last week. They said it was the lowest population they’d seen in 30 years. It will be interesting to see what numbers look like after the winter and come March when discussions on tags begin within WGF.
Yeah, there are still areas/pockets with some sizeable numbers, but many areas have had drastic reductions in herd size.
Overall, there are far fewer than just three years ago... and wayyy fewer than 20 years ago in the areas I frequent.

Jimss

WKR
Looking at past tag numbers in any given year gives you a feel for what shape the antelope are in any particular area. Around 2008 to 2012 there were some super low antelope years due to both winterkill followed by drought. The current antelope numbers where I spend time in central and south central wyo are the lowest I have ever seen. What’s spooky is there recently has been winterkill plus drought in some of those areas plus there is possibly disease (EHD, blue tongue or something else).

rwbowser

FNG
I had a guided hunt planned on private land with basically 100 percent draw odds and we didn’t draw. Lodge owner was upset since that was 3 hunters less for the season. Hopefully this year will be different but if they lower tags who knows.

BuzzH

WKR
I had a guided hunt planned on private land with basically 100 percent draw odds and we didn’t draw. Lodge owner was upset since that was 3 hunters less for the season. Hopefully this year will be different but if they lower tags who knows.
Nice to know the "lodge owners" put their pocket books over the health of our pronghorn herds.

Somebody needs to get their priorities straight.