Wyoming antelope/bird combo

bdg848

WKR
Heading to Wyoming for pronghorns in Oct. but would like to bring my GSP and shotgun along and hunt some birds while I'm out there. She is only a year old but training is going well and she is ready for some real hunting. I am brand new to upland hunting and could use some advise especially when it comes to the grouse and partridge species which I don't really have around me. We have pheasants and limited quail where I'm at. Looks like Sage grouse and Pheasants wont be open while I'm there but the other grouse species, chukars, and huns are open. I will be staying on the east side of the state in Lusk and driving a bit to Casper area to fill a doe tag as well. What game birds will I find in these areas and in what kind of terrain/elevations are they at? Any help would be appreciated.

bowhunter307

Lil-Rokslider
I was just in WY area 47 yesterday and nearly tripped and fell on about 30 sage grouse. Never seen a pheasant or anything else there. Check ravines near water that have good forage. Hell, usually goats there too.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

j_volt

WKR
I hunted antelope in the Casper area last year, and am headed back this year after some luck in the random draw. I considered bringing my 2 GSPs this year but cannot imagine it with all the cactus. I understand people do it, but it doesn't seem worth it to me.

OP
B

bdg848

WKR
We are only going to pop over to casper for one day to fill some doe tags. Mostly, we will be in unit 9, motel in Lusk. Practically in Nebraska. Is the cactus bad here too? I've only passed through Wyoming so I don't know what to expect. I understand Chukar are up in the rocky areas but what about other birds like sharptail grouse? Are they mostly in sage areas, grassy areas, both?