Wyoming Antelope Doe Help

khunter20

FNG
Hello all,

I just got stationed in Utah this past year(Air Force for any of you fellow "chair force" guys out there) and 2020 will be my first year hunting out west. I grew up in the southeast hunting whitetails so this is an entirely different game for me. With that being said, outside of the deer and spike elk ill be chasing in Utah unless I hit the lottery with an LE tag, I am interested in hunting antelope does in Wyoming. I am more concerned with meat hunting and learning the way of the west than i am with trophy hunting plus i have zero points so that doesnt leave me much of a choice regardless and the doe hunts seem like a great and inexpensive way to get some more hunting time in and learn some more as well as potentially harvest a doe or two. I have done an extensive amount of research through the hunt planner on Wyomings fish and game website looking at draw odds and prior seasons draw results, harvest reports, etc writing everything down on in a notebook and attempting to break/narrow it all down and in all honesty i am a bit overwhelmed. I noticed just because the draw odds for a particular unit are great based off last season doesnt mean it will be the same for 2020 as quotas change. I was also curious about the seasons where you can only hunt so far from irrigated land. Are those hunts to stay away from or do they produce. Worst case scenario ill put in for whatever units I think are the best and hopefully get one and just hunt and hope for the best but any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Here's what I did, I printed out the doe draw odds, highlighted any with more tags than applicants, then individually looked at those units on the hunt planner and eliminated the ones with poor access. I ended up with 4 or 5 units and weighed out the success rates, available public land and other factors to decide on my unit to apply for.

Rich M

WKR
I went with 4 doe tags in 2017. Got 2. Had 6 or so shot opps on bucks and decided that with the time, expense, and effort involved, I would not go again without a buck tag.

Not many folks agree w my way of thinking but I wish someone had said this when I was prepping.

That all being said, it is a blast and you will enjoy hunting antelope. Very neat to see so many critters.

Here's what I did, I printed out the doe draw odds, highlighted any with more tags than applicants, then individually looked at those units on the hunt planner and eliminated the ones with poor access. I ended up with 4 or 5 units and weighed out the success rates, available public land and other factors to decide on my unit to apply for.

Not sure I could of given any better advice than that - since you have already been reviewing the Hunter Planner thats about the only other piece of info I would suggest.

That and maybe once you have narrowed down your possible units, go out to the Wyoming Fish and Game website get the number and call the bio assigned to those units and ask them questions - some are great and can give you info - especially if you have already done your homework. That and also try the game warden for the area, they can be great also for letting you know of some smaller pieces of public that might be overlooked but have antelope.

Good luck - word of warning though antelope hunting is addicting. Trust me I know since I'm full on a junkie when it comes to hunting them:)

zacattack

WKR

Do this.

Stalker69

WKR
I am kinda in the same situation ( non military though) as far as looking for an archery antelope hunt. With the cost I would be fine hunting does for a year or two, until I learned the unit. I am looking at unit 57 but I don’t understand if I will needs points before I draw a lic. Any one looking at putting a few guys together and doing a group hunt, maybe some with knowledge of where and how, I would be interested in it.

I am kinda in the same situation ( non military though) as far as looking for an archery antelope hunt. With the cost I would be fine hunting does for a year or two, until I learned the unit. I am looking at unit 57 but I don’t understand if I will needs points before I draw a lic. Any one looking at putting a few guys together and doing a group hunt, maybe some with knowledge of where and how, I would be interested in it.

With zero points it will be a long time before you draw 57. You need to look elsewhere even to hunt does.

Stalker69

WKR
With zero points it will be a long time before you draw 57. You need to look elsewhere even to hunt does.

Well now I am even more confused. On another sight I am talking with a guy in Wyoming and he says fawn/ doe tags don’t earn or use points, just luck of draw.

Jimss

WKR
You use pref pts only if you draw a tag with your first choice. If you don't draw your first choice and draw 2nd or 3rd you gain a pref pt. You obviously have to pay a pref pt fee every year to gain a point. If you draw, that $ will be refunded.

Take a look at the the proposed antelope tag numbers. You will notice that this winter was somewhat harsh in many locations. In fact, some doe tags have been eliminated in some units. That means the demand for units with doe tags will be higher in 2020 than previous years. There tends to be fewer leftover doe tags in lean years like this as well. I think a lot of nonres are picking up on the same idea about does and doe tags are getting tougher to draw.

The units with toughest draw odds are generally units with the most public land. Generally speaking, units with little public land....the public land that is available may get hit pretty hard and antelope spook to adjacent private land. It may not be impossible to be successful but may take more days to figure out and more work? Generally speaking most antelope hunters run up and down roads and don't do much hiking. After the first couple days of the season there may not be antelope within sight of public roads. If you are willing to hike into remote areas you may have better success in areas with intense hunting pressure.

It's possible to knock on doors in the summer and possibly get permission but some ranchers already have a line of doe hunters lined up if you wait until a few days prior to the season. Some may offer permission later in the season after hunting pressure has slowed down and some may offer access for a trespass fee. Some of these can be tough to find and take a lot of door knocking.

The deal with tags available so many miles from private land is landowners complain about antelope in their hay meadows. If there is public land next to these areas you may be in good shape but you may need to research and scout to figure this out. I would also carry a gps with OnXmaps and know how to use it well or you may find yourself with a trespass ticket!

With that said, keep at it and learn as much as you can prior to your trip.

Bryan B

FNG

Well now I am even more confused. On another sight I am talking with a guy in Wyoming and he says fawn/ doe tags don’t earn or use points, just luck of draw.

That is correct. In WY doe/fawn tags do not use points and it is all luck of the draw.

Yes sorry I should of explained it better than I did. For doe/fawn no points but if you look at the number of applicants versus tags its a tough draw. Don't mean to make this any more confusing! My apologies for that. Send you a PM with some possible ideas on units.

OP
K

khunter20

FNG
Not sure I could of given any better advice than that - since you have already been reviewing the Hunter Planner thats about the only other piece of info I would suggest.

That and maybe once you have narrowed down your possible units, go out to the Wyoming Fish and Game website get the number and call the bio assigned to those units and ask them questions - some are great and can give you info - especially if you have already done your homework. That and also try the game warden for the area, they can be great also for letting you know of some smaller pieces of public that might be overlooked but have antelope.

Good luck - word of warning though antelope hunting is addicting. Trust me I know since I'm full on a junkie when it comes to hunting them:)
I would be lying if I didn't think all hunting was addicting but im definitely intrigued with the speed goats! I've already made it a goal to get a nice buck with my bow and thanks for the insight.

OP
K

khunter20

FNG
ill give this a shot, thank you

wapitibob

WKR
If you don't draw your first choice and draw 2nd or 3rd you gain a pref pt. You obviously have to pay a pref pt fee every year to gain a point. If you draw, that $ will be refunded.

You have to buy an Antelope point during the point only period, which is from July 1 to Nov 2.

As mentioned, "reduced price" licenses do not use points.

Last edited:

Jimss

WKR
Wapitibob, I think you may be confusing people with your post? You are making it sound like guys can still get a pref pt if they draw there first choice unit and apply for a pref pt July 1 to Nov 2....which isn't true?

What I should have said is: "If you don't draw your first choice and draw 2nd or 3rd you gain a pref pt if you apply for a pref pt July 1 to Nov 2. If you draw your first choice unit in the original draw you loose your pts. You obviously have to pay a pref pt fee every year to gain a point?

Isn't that correct.

wapitibob

WKR
"What I should have said is: "If you don't draw your first choice and draw 2nd or 3rd you gain a pref pt if you apply for a pref pt July 1 to Nov 2" correct

"If you draw your first choice unit in the original draw you loose your pts." Your 1st choice carries over to the random draw, from either the Regular or Special, and you will lose your points if you draw that 1st choice from the random so an applicant needs to look at the random odds/applicants as well.
Reduced Price draws are Random only.

"You obviously have to pay a pref pt fee every year to gain a point?" Yes, we always had to pay. In the past we chose "with" or "without" the point and paid accordingly. Now we have a separate period for buying that point.

wytx

WKR
Reduced price doe/fawn tags are a random draw.
You can apply for 2 tags on 2 different areas if you want to or 2 tags in one area. Draw is separate from any antelope draw, Type 1 or 2 tags, type 9 also.

Reduced price doe/fawn tags are a random draw.
You can apply for 2 tags on 2 different areas if you want to or 2 tags in one area. Draw is separate from any antelope draw, Type 1 or 2 tags, type 9 also.

Would you have higher odds of drawing in only applying for one doe tag per unit or is it the same odds as if you apply for two? Was hoping to get myself and the girlfriend 2 tags each in the same unit this fall.

wytx

WKR
You know I can't remember if there still is a button to click for 2 licenses or 1. Used to if you applied for 2 tags you got both or none.
You can apply as a party for the doe I believe.
Wapitibob probably knows the answer, he studies Wyoming draws and licensing.

wapitibob

WKR
Odds will be the same because they fill a full party.

They removed the 1 tag/2 tag drop down option for an individual, and now list both tags as separate line items. The only way to get 2 tags or none, is to apply for both at the same time, same type, and same area. If there are differences between the two they will be separate apps, also, if you apply for one then go back and apply for the 2nd at a later date they will be two separate apps.

For a party app, you still have the 1/2 tag drop down option.