Wyoming antelope hunt for a Tennessee boy

lungpuncher1

Lil-Rokslider
I'm planning on getting out of the tennessee mountains next fall and hunting wyoming for antelope with my buddy. We both have 2 points as of right now.

Honesty the complexity of the draws and odds have overwhelmed me coming from never having to deal with draws other than Iowa which is simple.

I got on wyoming dnr hunt planner and it didn't really help much as far as finding units to apply for. Any ideas/ advice?

I'm not wanting someone to say go here and do this as I honestly love hunt planning, I'm just a little overwhelmed by this being my buddy and I very first western hunt.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Gooseboy

FNG
I’m in the same boat. I’ve been scouring the antelope interactive maps on fish and game,then looking at draw odds for each unit, I have color coded my printed map units with hi lighters for units with fair to good access and good draw odds for my point total. I’m a opportunity hunter meaning not looking for a booner buck, rather opportunity to fill the tag and bring home meat. Since mid October I have approximately 40 hours with research, gohunt.com helps a lot, randy new berg on YouTube helps breakdown some of the drawing guidelines, and there is a few other forums with valuable info. I have read and re read every single Wyoming antelope thread on rokslide, many older posts that explain quite a bit as well. I did make the mistake a week or so ago by researching other species in other western states and the process it takes to get tags, don’t do it because you will forget a lot of info and process you have learned with just Wyoming. Prolly not much help from what I wrote above but looking at draw odds and for each unit will take you a long way on where to apply. The interactive map is really cool and simple to use. Blessings

Gooseboy

Haha I'm with you guys too.
So in Wyoming high point value equals public land.
There are Antelope all over the state,
Access to them is the hard part.
I'd suggest a trespass fee although I dont really know where to find some thing like that.
Or guided hunts ar reasonable for non trophy goats.

manitou1

WKR
Just pick an area that 2 pts will get you in, with as much access as is offered. There are antelope everywhere. They prefer flat open ground and prefer to run rather than hide, so avoid brushy, treed areas and creek bottoms. Once you get out and do a trip, it won't feel so daunting in the future. I was the same and was scared I would inadvertantly tresspass or break a reg. It isn't so bad once you get out there. Use the heck out of your ONX maps.
You will generally find them below 5-6000 ft in smoother terrain.
Bring a rangefinder!
Good luck!

wytx

WKR
No need for guided or a trespass fee . Look carefully at the drawing odds and you'll find a good 2 PP area with access.
Public land hunting in Wyoming is great, especially for antelope.
If you really want a trespass fee hunt ask Jimss to average PP with you.

Studs1991

FNG
lung puncher: My best advice is to take a little bit more time and understand the draw odds on Wyoming's website. It shows you exactly how many points each unit should take and if you are guaranteed to draw the tag. With only two points, you may only be able to draw units that are a majority private land. However, there are numerous walk in areas and hunt management areas that you can find on the website.

rtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a Tennessee boy that did my Wyoming hunt this year and it was awesome. After we filled our tags we drove all over the state and saw antelope everywhere. I used a combo of gohunt.com and onx maps to plan my trip. We also found that most people are road/truck hunters and the walk in only access areas pretty much had no competition in them.

OP
lungpuncher1

lungpuncher1

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the help guys.

I'm going to keep digging in and researching. I will almost certainly have a few more questions though.

I've traveled alot for whitetail and fishing but never for another big game species so this is all new and overwhelming to me.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

wytx

WKR
Your whitetail equipment will suffice for antelope, you will want a rangefinder perhaps and the knee pads and leather gloves.
Camping is not hard but wind is something to consider. Truck camping works fine.
You should be able to buy anything essential you forgot or just didn't know you needed when you get out here.
I would pour over pics of antelope, bucks and doe on the hoof to learn about judging them.

Loebs

Lil-Rokslider
You have plenty of options with 2 Points. You should be able to draw 42 or a similar unit. Have a back up that is 100 percent draw odds. There are a few out there. Get off the roads and hike. Plan a few days and don't shoot the first buck that you see. Make sure you apply for some doe tags in your units, they are great eating and help to learn making stalks and packing out. Don't stress too much as they are all over. You just have to put in some time and miles. Truck camping is great in some areas, not so hot in others. You may find a great spot to camp just out of your unit, you are going to drive a bunch anyhow. Just get out there and have fun.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

NEWYORKHILLBILLY

Lil-Rokslider
I done several Wyoming pubic land archery antelope hunts with great success , 2 point will get you into some goats. as long as your not trophy
hunting. A few things to remember just because a unit is 50% public there still may be no public access . the other thing there is no camping on state land in Wyoming Blm and forest you can. spend some some time On the DNR website make a list of units you can draw . wait until winters over and they decide on tag numbers, look for area where tag numbers have went up.when looking at draw odds remember the point creep. if it was 100% draw last year with 2 point it might take 3 this year.also match the unit to your style of hunting. I do a lot of spot and stalk archery hunting there are many units where this cant be done because its to open.