Wyoming Antelope Outfitters

Can anyone recommend a good Outfitter for rifle antelope in Wyoming? Purchased my first point last year and don't have any immediate plans on doing this hunt so I have plenty of time to build points if necessary. I'm the furthest from a trophy hunter so really any buck would make me happy and I would most likely shoot the first one I had a chance at. I have been doing some zone research for the past year and also considering going DIY as well but I'm not sure if I would save enough money to justify it after gathering all the equipment I would need plus driving my own vehicle all over the place. I'm also not too proud to let someone else guide me. Would probably be making the trip alone from PA or with my brother. Feel free to PM me if you don't want your information public. Thanks for any help.

baz77

WKR
Lee Moore at the Moore ranch north of Douglas, Wyoming is a good guy if he’s still doing hunts ...Guided rifle antelope would be like hiring a guide to shoot a squirrel though espcially rifle hunting and not wanting to kill a giant buck.

I can point you to a unit where you can stay in a hotel in a good sized town and be tagged out within a day or two If your not picky and can shoot decent.

wytx

WKR
Keep building some PP and you will not need an outfitter. Your deer rifle will work just fine and a hotel is cheap for 3-4 nights in most Wyoming towns.
With a few PP you can find a nice buck, many times nicer than on a ranch they run multiple folks through every year.
An outfitter is really only beneficial in an area that has very difficult access, a few PP cures that problem.

Which area have you been looking into? If your not trophy hunting not much need for a guide there in my opinion. Also quite a few decent ranches that you can pay a trespass fee for as well.

OP
L
I have been looking at units around Casper. If I do end up going DIY I would most likely stay at a hotel but I could always sleep in my truck. How much driving around is involved in this hunt? Most I have read indicates A LOT of driving around. Is that because most people are picky and want to see a lot of animals before they decide which one to go after? Is it because the animals are so spaced out? (Everyone seems to claim these things are everywhere) or is it that the pieces of public land are so spaced out it takes awhile to drive to each? Maybe something I am missing? I live in PA the state land around here is maybe 150-200acres a piece so I may just not have a grasp for how large the areas are in Wyoming and how much roaming around you can actually do

Rich M

WKR
Folks are too lazy to get out of their trucks to hunt, instead wanting to spot and stalk from the comfort of their vehicles.

If you aren't gonna be picky, and scout a little ahead of time (day or so), you could be done on opening day in time for breakfast. That is if the guys racing around in their trucks like it is the Daytona 500 don't mess you up.

Nothing wrong with guided hunts, or going with someone who has done it before.

The land size will depend on the public property you are looking at. You can sometimes see 20 miles but there are hills and valleys.

When you get there you will understand the concept of them being "everywhere". They do know what the property boundary is and how to stay on the private side of it at times.

Jimss

WKR
I generally scout and hunt miles of country not acres! A lot depends upon the unit. Some units may have next to 0 public land and others 100% public. Generally the tougher units to draw have a higher percentage of public land. The benefit for some guided hunts is to hunt private land behind locked gates where you may be the only hunter on a large ranch. Sometimes these type of units are a little easier to draw...but not always. Antelope are generally a little tough for beginners to field judge. A guide is a great help field judging bucks. It's always nice having the opportunity to view lots and lots of bucks and being picky until you find a buck that gets your blood pumping!

Generally speaking lots of antelope can be found close to roads on opening day. Once pressured by road hunters they may be a lot tougher to find. It may mean hiking to high spots and glassing vast areas. Areas with less public land may have a high concentration of hunters that push antelope onto adjacent private land. After a week or 2 of the season they may wander back.

Tsutton1

FNG
DIY would be the way to go. You won't have any problems finding a decent buck. And it would be alot easier on the wallet. Just my opinion and what I would do. Good luck

DIY is very do-able. Don't be intimidated by it. I recommend buying the BLM maps for the area you intend to hunt. On-X-maps is another handy resource. Give yourself a day or two to scout the unit, learn the roads & the public land parcels. That way you be ahead of many hunters come opening day.