Wyoming Antelope Point Question

mikkel318

Lil-Rokslider
This is a very simple question, but I want to make sure I am reading this correctly. A friend of ours in Wyoming is recommending that I apply with a friend as a group for this Wyoming Antelope unit. He has 7 points, I have 5 points. I attached the 2014 draw odds for the unit. From the way it looks, we wouldn't have much of a chance in either the Special draw or the Regular. Am I looking at this correctly?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Antelope_Points.jpg

0% chance of drawing in the regular draw, 67% in the special draw. I would call that pretty good odds in the special draw if you want to spend $530 bucks for the draw.

Joe

colonel00

WKR
Are those this year's draw results? One thing to remember, not trying to be a downer, but 66 people applied with less than 6 points last year. Just a guess but I would think that there are a few that will be in the 6 point range this year. Also, it looks like it was a group of three that applied in that 6 point range as there were only 2 tags available but they awarded 3 total. Again, not trying to be a downer but just something to think about. If you are willing to spend the extra money, put in for the Special draw.

OP
M

mikkel318

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks a ton for your help everyone. Now we just have to decide if the extra $ is worth it. It is unit 64 and I was told it is a great unit with a ton of public land and a good herd.

Topgun 30-06

Banned
When you figure point creep and the fact that a few with more PPs may apply than did last year and will have more PPs this year, along with the fact that some will want to get out of the PP race before the fees will probably go up in 2016, my guess is that the odds of drawing with 6PPs in the Special Draw will be less than last season.

I hunted 64 a lot growing up. In fact I have a few antelope points in Wyoming and was debating looking at that area again. There are some good bucks, in fact my brother missed what may have been the biggest buck I have ever seen in that area when he was 12... at 75 yards... Twice.... with a solid rest hahahah

That said, I think that there are a TON of good areas in Wyoming that can be drawn with less points or on the regular draw for cheaper. Many have good access and I feel like if you stay picky, and hunt hard, there are big goats in every one of them. My friends and I shot about 9 or 10 p and y bucks in a 3 year span in an area that was just "decent." I can't give specific areas, but I personally would not spend the extra for the special draw for a stinky old goat.

Joe

Topgun 30-06

Banned
I agree 100% with Joe on those comments. We routinely kill bucks in the high 70s and last year one that made B&C and the unit isn't even talked about on Forums or in the magazines. We also don't kill them right next to a road or two track the way most hunt antelope!!!