Wyoming antelope tag question

So I see there are different types of tags. The type two says any antelope valod on private land.
Does that mean the tag is good only on private land?

OP
HuntInWild88
So theres 1600 tags for private land only in this specific unit?? That seems a little bizarre to me.

Bryan B

FNG
It's not bizarre. There is very little accessible public land and a lot of private land in that unit.

hartigjosh

Lil-Rokslider
Question, if you do special and dont get drawn in that one, do you move to the regular and still keep your rank with the points? For example, You put in to special with 5... it takes 6 to get drawn that year bc you underestimated point creep... do you then move to regular draw with 5 points or do you drop to the random draw

So theres 1600 tags for private land only in this specific unit?? That seems a little bizarre to me.

Not if you understand the reasoning for having the Type 2 licenses. If all 2,150 (in 2019) of the licenses were valid anywhere (private and public lands) in the hunt area there would be a lot of hunters on the few public land parcels and the hunting quality would suffer. However, by splitting the number of antelope into two types license types, Type 1 - valid on both public and private lands and Type 2 - valid only on private land, it limits the number of hunters that can legally hunt on the public land in the hunt area. This has increased the antelope hunter satisfaction in this hunt area.

ClearCreek

wapitibob

WKR
Question, if you do special and dont get drawn in that one, do you move to the regular and still keep your rank with the points? For example, You put in to special with 5... it takes 6 to get drawn that year bc you underestimated point creep... do you then move to regular draw with 5 points or do you drop to the random draw

no

Schism

WKR

See pages 8 and 14 in the link.

Last edited:
OP
HuntInWild88
Not if you understand the reasoning for having the Type 2 licenses. If all 2,150 (in 2019) of the licenses were valid anywhere (private and public lands) in the hunt area there would be a lot of hunters on the few public land parcels and the hunting quality would suffer. However, by splitting the number of antelope into two types license types, Type 1 - valid on both public and private lands and Type 2 - valid only on private land, it limits the number of hunters that can legally hunt on the public land in the hunt area. This has increased the antelope hunter satisfaction in this hunt area.

ClearCreek
Thanks for the explanation. I understand the two types and why they have them. Still.think 1600 tags for private land only is bizarre. Its just the sheer number of tags they expect to be used on private land only that baffles me. Not aaying its stupid oranything of that nature.

Rich M

WKR
The game management requires that x number of animals get killed. In order to do that, x number of permits need to be issued.

Most of the folks hunting private are guided, in a club, or have access well before the season. It's not diff than some guys hunting a farm or other private elsewhere.

The majority of those tags get purchased and used.

wytx

WKR
Not all Type 2 tags are private land only, some are merely later in the season .

Not all Type 2 tags are private land only, some are merely later in the season .

In some hunt areas you are correct, but in the situation being discussed in this thread the OP is referring to a hunt area south of Gillette where the Type 2 antelope licenses are valid on private land only.

ClearCreek

Thanks for the explanation. I understand the two types and why they have them. Still.think 1600 tags for private land only is bizarre. Its just the sheer number of tags they expect to be used on private land only that baffles me. Not aaying its stupid oranything of that nature.

You don't suppose the game biologists and game wardens in that area that crafted those seasons a few years ago had some knowledge of the number of hunters in that hunt area that were already just hunting private land so they set the quotas accordingly?

Might not be as bizarre as you think.......................

ClearCreek

OP
HuntInWild88
You don't suppose the game biologists and game wardens in that area that crafted those seasons a few years ago had some knowledge of the number of hunters in that hunt area that were already just hunting private land so they set the quotas accordingly?

Might not be as bizarre as you think.......................

ClearCreek
Nope still find it bizarre that they expect or anticipate 1600 people to gain access to private land... if i was a land owner I wouldnt want even 100 people who I dont know on my land. Unless it was with a program like Idaho has. Where land owners openly allow people to access their land as long as they sign in..