Wyoming Antelope Unit 113??

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Went out on a whim and picked up an antelope tag for unit 113 over the counter. Unit is North of Casper, NW corner is Kaycee, WY and southern end is Midwest, WY, NE corner is Sussex, WY.

Done enough research to know there's some public amongst a lot of private ground in the area. Wondering if anybody might know the area and have any insight to offer - private land connections, etc... Please drop me a PM or shoot me an email [email protected]. Leaving Thursday night. Wish me luck!

Appreciate it!

Coop

I drive that area quite a bit. It's where a lot of drilling activity is right now but there are some public roads that can get you through the private. I am heading to Midwest and Sussex on Friday. I will see what goats are out.

Im sure this is too late but
Be careful. Most of those roads to public land are owned by the ranch that they cross. Must have permission to access public land.
Ive hunt 113 a couple of time with permission. It was really difficult to get without deep pockets. Also watched a lot of tresspass
tickets handed out. Better to look into the tresspass laws there before buying a tag. I met some really nice guys from cali there last year
They spent ten days trying to get on somewhere other than the southern tip access. Ended up up with
Multiple tickets and two had licences pulled by f and g

Topgun 30-06

Banned
There is a reason that the G&F website shows 113 and a lot of other units as having difficult access, but many newbies don't pay any attention to it. They just see all that BLM on their maps and have no idea the roads to get into them aren't public and then get mad when they don't have much acreage to hunt legally.

Reactions: KMW
Yep.
I do think F & G needs to do a better job of indicating a reason for the "difficult access". Many guys interpret this as maybe a long hike and are willing to do this. So they buy the tags, drive half way across the country only to find the real definition of "difficult access".
I was there last year and saw at least 8 vehicles asked to leave, those who complained got a ticket. Those who ignored the warning had their license and tags pulled plus the tickets! The access roads look, in every way, like a public road and some may actually be. The issue is the States trespass law, The way it was explained to me by the F & G, was that you need permission from a land owner to cross there land even on a "public" rd. unless the border of the public rd was fenced off from the property. In short, don't cross a cattle guard without permission. Other roads that are very well maintained and look public are actually not but maintained very well by the oil companies that have permission. As I recall, unit 113 really only has one access point that is open to public. That is located on the southern end of the unit and not really great habitat for goats. Those cali guys hunted it for four days and shot a doe and fawn and those were the only antelope seen. That southern access connects to the very large public land in the center but you would need to hike in several miles as I remember to get to good numbers of animals. Also, most of the antelope seem to drop down to the private land as soon as people start moving through.

wapitibob

WKR
A road with a public easement can go right between a ranchers house and his barn and you can drive it all day and night.

Last edited:
OP
Rent Outdoor Gear

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We had the GPS chip and were aware of the access issues but it was more difficult than expected. Some of the roads that appeared to be "county roads were not. In the end, wanting to shoot 12 goats in 4 days we paid a reasonable fee for access and tagged out. Not ideal, but we paid the equivalent of the high priced tag all considered and had a great time. I was sitting on the tailgate zooming in on a 15 foot piece of private that separated two pieces of BLM when a landowner drove up and said yep... That's real son. But since you didn't cross it I'll make you boys a deal... The rest is history.

OP
Rent Outdoor Gear

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Worked great Bob! Shot one doe at about 560 yards with my STW. I'll try to round up some pics.

cslater3

FNG
Im sure this is too late but
Be careful. Most of those roads to public land are owned by the ranch that they cross. Must have permission to access public land.
Ive hunt 113 a couple of time with permission. It was really difficult to get without deep pockets. Also watched a lot of tresspass
tickets handed out. Better to look into the tresspass laws there before buying a tag. I met some really nice guys from cali there last year
They spent ten days trying to get on somewhere other than the southern tip access. Ended up up with
Multiple tickets and two had licences pulled by f and g
woof rough going