Wyoming Antelope

lemlerhunter

FNG
Classified Approved
I have 4 preference points for Wyoming Antelope any suggestion what unit to apply for?

Dalep

FNG
I’m happy with 1 point lol. You’ll have a great hunt with 4 points in Wyoming. I’d check the Wyoming website to see where required 4 points for 100% draw and just pick one...

OP
L

lemlerhunter

FNG
Classified Approved
I've never hunted Wyoming and have no clue where to start.

Dalep

FNG
Go to their hunting site and look up draw odds for antelope. There’s areas you can draw every year even with zero points. They’ll be busy with hunters and won’t shoot a record book antelope but they are there. It’s a draw system so you have to apply for a hunting unit (like $350 for tag) then you’ll find out if draw. If don’t they’ll refund your money minus a small fee. Then you apply for a point in September for $30 or $50 or so and you’ll basically guarantee a hunt the following year.

OP
L

lemlerhunter

FNG
Classified Approved
not sure if I should apply regular season or special? What are the difference?

wapitibob

WKR
There are some differences with Antelope in that residents draw first and their leftovers get added to the nr quotas, which are different than Elk quotas but other than that you should be good for a general overview of the process.

wytx

WKR
Special, higher price might get you better odds for drawing.
Look over the hunt planner and make sure you have the public land overlay on the map.
Just check odds on areas you can draw with your PP and compare the public land available to hunt in those areas.
Draw odds are online for regular and special draw.

License quotas come out in April and we will get population estimates then as well.

Laramie

WKR
Keep in mind, just because 4 points was 100% draw last year doesn't mean it will be this year. In general, the points to draw areas increases yearly because the demand has historically far exceeded the supply. To have a better chance of drawing you should look for areas that took 3 points last year.

Go to their hunting site and look up draw odds for antelope. There’s areas you can draw every year even with zero points. They’ll be busy with hunters and won’t shoot a record book antelope but they are there. It’s a draw system so you have to apply for a hunting unit (like $350 for tag) then you’ll find out if draw. If don’t they’ll refund your money minus a small fee. Then you apply for a point in September for $30 or $50 or so and you’ll basically guarantee a hunt the following year.
man i need to research harder. We used to do second choice every year in 22 but that dropped from like 90% on a second choice to 30 sthing. Any idea if they decreased tags or secret was out? lol

OP
L

lemlerhunter

FNG
Classified Approved
After reading up on Wyoming I'm thinking of putting for a muzzleloader hunt. I have a long range muzlleloader from Arrowhead rifles. I'm comfortable out to 500yards.