Wyoming Application is In!

Today is the first day to be able to apply for Wyoming elk tags. It always feels good to get my application out of the way.

General elk, regular drawing with a 3 point party average.

Anyone else have theirs in?

I can’t wait to see this sign!41602DB6-08B1-4760-B351-EB1872A9B905.jpeg

Last edited:

heatstroke18

Lil-Rokslider
I have a question. I am going to apply for Wyoming, but I only want to apply for a type 6 (cow tag). Should I buy a point, then try and get in the leftover draw? Or put in for the type 6 and try and buy a point later. I’d appreciate some direction. I’d like to start to build points and just use these type 6 tags as a way to hunt, fill the freezer, and learn. From my understanding they do not go against your points. I could be way off

sasquatch

WKR
Never look at type 6 but if they don’t go against points put in then buy a point later

No guarantee they’ll be extras

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Indian Summer
I know of only one area... in the region I hunt anyway, where I can count on a leftover cow tag in an area with public access where elk won’t all be hiding out on private land. Do your homework and maybe you can find one near where you want to hunt.

Be aware that lots of times there are leftovers because it’s all private. If you can’t find them buy the type 6 and get the point when the time comes. Good luck!

heatstroke18

Lil-Rokslider
I know of only one area... in the region I hunt anyway, where I can count on a leftover cow tag in an area with public access where elk won’t all be hiding out on private land. Do your homework and maybe you can find one near where you want to hunt.

Be aware that lots of times there are leftovers because it’s all private. If you can’t find them buy the type 6 and get the point when the time comes. Good luck!

thats what I am going to do. I don't have any points anyways so if I fork up the application real bad it won't cost me any points.

OP
Indian Summer
Hard to screw up online and Wyoming Fish and Game people are pretty helpful. Get your app in early and if anything is wrong they’ll call you and fix it over the phone for you.

I do have one question though... if you see on the draw results that your area will have leftover cow tags why, other than cost, wouldn’t you just apply for a bull tag or either sex depending on the regs for your area (general or type 1) and cross your fingers in hopes of getting one in the random drawing then if the stars don’t line up get your license in the leftover drawing?

OP
Indian Summer
Or.... enter your type 6 as your 2nd choice. If you don’t draw your first pick and there are still type 6 licenses.... which you said don’t sell out, then you’ll get one of those.

heatstroke18

Lil-Rokslider
Hard to screw up online and Wyoming Fish and Game people are pretty helpful. Get your app in early and if anything is wrong they’ll call you and fix it over the phone for you.

I do have one question though... if you see on the draw results that your area will have leftover cow tags why, other than cost, wouldn’t you just apply for a bull tag or either sex depending on the regs for your area (general or type 1) and cross your fingers in hopes of getting one in the random drawing then if the stars don’t line up get your license in the leftover drawing?

some of it is cost, but I am teetering on footing the up front cost for it only because it would take double digit points. So the chances I draw it. Nearly zero.

New to Wyoming's draw system so any help is great. If you apply for a tag and aren't chosen do you earn the point and then can you can apply for a leftover tag without having to used the earned point?

New to Wyoming's draw system so any help is great. If you apply for a tag and aren't chosen do you earn the point and then can you can apply for a leftover tag without having to used the earned point?

No points are earned in the draw (that is a recent change). Points need to be bought sep when they go on sale in the summer.

the important part of your question is whether you can buy a point if you hold a leftover tag or a leftover tag without points and I’m not sure how that works.

heatstroke18

Lil-Rokslider
No points are earned in the draw (that is a recent change). Points need to be bought sep when they go on sale in the summer.

the important part of your question is whether you can buy a point if you hold a leftover tag or a leftover tag without points and I’m not sure how that works.

so let’s say you put into the draw for unit XY and you are unsuccessful, they refund your $692. Wyoming does not automatically award you a preference point. So no matter if you put in for the draw our. It you still have to purchase one for $52 later.... Am I interpreting that correct?

heatstroke18

Lil-Rokslider
so let’s say you put into the draw for unit XY and you are unsuccessful, they refund your $692. Wyoming does not automatically award you a preference point. So no matter if you put in for the draw our. It you still have to purchase one for $52 later.... Am I interpreting that correct?
Or let’s say you draw a tag in another state, you can go in before may 8th and just remove yourself from the draw and get your 692 back and purchase the point?
just asking because Wyoming Made it semi confusing/ complicated

OP
Indian Summer
If you draw a 2nd choice license or a leftover reduced price cow tag it doesn’t affect your points.

In the past if you didn’t draw your first choice... and checked the box saying you wanted a preference point you got the point. Now you just go online between July 1 and October 31 and buy the point.... as long as you haven’t drawn a first choice license that year.

Trial153

WKR
Minus your 2.5% CC fee which i am pretty sure isnt refuned if you with draw your app.