Wyoming Application Question - Valid off national forest definition

Hello folks. I'm new to the forum. I'm from the midwest and have just started exploring western hunting over the last few years. I have a question on Wyoming elk tags for y'all.

I'm looking at applying for a cow/calf reduced price Type 7 tag this year while I build up points. I have been to my desired unit to shed hunt the last few years and am familiar with the National Forest ground in the unit.

The limitations on the TYPE 7 tag for this unit says cow/calf valid off national forest.

Can someone define what "valid off national forest" means? Does this mean I am allowed to hunt and take an elk on the NF ground only? Or does this mean the tag is only valid when hunting somewhere other than the NF in that unit?

Thanks for any help!

Laramie

WKR
Hello folks. I'm new to the forum. I'm from the midwest and have just started exploring western hunting over the last few years. I have a question on Wyoming elk tags for y'all.

I'm looking at applying for a cow/calf reduced price Type 7 tag this year while I build up points. I have been to my desired unit to shed hunt the last few years and am familiar with the National Forest ground in the unit.

The limitations on the TYPE 7 tag for this unit says cow/calf valid off national forest.

Can someone define what "valid off national forest" means? Does this mean I am allowed to hunt and take an elk on the NF ground only? Or does this mean the tag is only valid when hunting somewhere other than the NF in that unit?

Thanks for any help!
The response above is correct. Basically you will need some private access or a weather event to push elk down off the forest. There is a reason they are easy to draw...

The response above is correct. Basically you will need some private access or a weather event to push elk down off the forest. There is a reason they are easy to draw...
Yeah I got the types mixed up on a leftover draw in area 35 last year and got one of these. I live nearby and thought it was just a cow/calf tag. NOPE. Still gave it a go a couple days as there is a 21,000acrea state land section they do cross to get to private, but no success.

OP
El_Duderino
Thanks for the clarification! It did seem too good to be true hunting the NF there on a reduced price tag. I’ll have to do some more research and see if I can find a spot that will work.

wweaver

FNG
Lots of elk in Wyoming use Blm and Private ag land year around. Going to the fields at night. You cut them off going to bed On blm/state in the morning.

The best way to think of it is, and I'm honestly not trying to be a smartass - it's the opposite of "Valid on national forest". So your tag is valid off national forest, but not on national forest.

jt4

WKR
OP. I’ll validate your question and say I’ve never applied for one of these tags, but if I were to guess, I would’ve been wrong.

Glad to read the actual meaning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk