wyoming archery sage country units

Rockchuck

WKR
I have been thinking about a Wyoming archery muledeer hunt this year and usually hunt high country, but am thinking of mixing it up and trying a sage country hunt Spot and stalk. I have watched a few hunts in these types of terrain with rolling country or gullies, bluffs, coolies, etc. that looked fun. I am a non-resident and have 1 point. Anyone Know of units that match this description that have decent public land? I would be shooting for a 150" ideally but am not really picky...just want to try and get it done in a new setting and put some stalks on. Also have an antelope point and would be cool to get to know a unit for both species.

Thanks for any info!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Can't offer much on units, but the SW corner of the state has some of that country.
You might be surprised hunting that type of country... I've seen some great bucks in sage country over the years in several western states. Can be a few more people around because it's typically easier access, but most of them aren't hunters.

Best of luck.

Rockey

FNG
Like Robby said, anything in the SW corner of Wyoming will be heavily saged and will also hold big mulies, but drawing those areas are pretty tough. I have seen dozens of 180-200 inch deer come out of those areas but you have to do your homework. The guys that take the larger deer from that area are usually locals who watch those deer several months throughout the year (only a 10-20 minute drive from town). If you draw any of those areas you will most likely harvest a great buck and you will get the spot and stock in the sage brush that you are looking for. Don't be fooled, some of that sage can be 8-12 feet tall! I grew up in Rock Springs and spent a lot of time in those areas, the sage "spot and stock" is really fun but you will have your work cut out for ya. Best of luck Rockchuck!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Rockey,
Thanks for clarifying that. The draw hunts would be great and you're right about who's killing the big ones down there-the scouters.

I was meaning a little further north along the Idaho border, I believe the southern end of G.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The draw units have a lot of potential, but anything that says general in it will get pounded.

Second problem is the doe/fawn tags that have been issued for the last while as well as the extended rifle season in the general units. By extend I mean they ran it for 11 days in the Sand Dunes rather than the 7 and 5 they did in the past. Combine that with any deer for youth and its a recipe for lower numbers. Still some good deer there, with genetics that believe it or not produce deer with good mass. Lots of crab claw bucks though.

One thing to remember about that sage ground as well is you don't get the added benefits of steep terrain and playing the thermals... Lore more swirling winds it seems like which makes it tough but that ain't no reason to not go for it! I'm not sure what units are draws or not, but I found some DANDY sheds in the sage hills around Lander and Riverton WY. More of an upland sagebrush veg community instead of just flat sage steppe like you get more towards Rawlins. That'd be my preference and the tougher terrain might make it easier to get away from some pressure but maybe not.

Mike

SW if you can draw a permit. I have been putting in for 10 years and I have never drawn one. My dad has drawn one in the last 25 years. I have a buddy who goes to those areas almost every weekend and knows the "bigs" by his nicknames. Like previously stated the locals usually are the ones who get the big ones because its so close to town. Growing up in that area I wish I could have drawn a tag. Now I am moving 3 hours away and it's not as appealing anymore. Sage hunting is fun but full of people. Last year I saw 40 people during archery and I lost count at 100 during rifle. Most were all locals. Good luck!

OP
Rockchuck

Rockchuck

WKR
Thanks for the replies. I didn't realize they would be such sought after units. I will Have to do some more research And see if i can find an out of the way slice somewhere that is easier to draw...or just keep putting in! Like i said. The sage just seems like a new adventure and challenge so different from the high country. Thanks again!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Rockchuck,
there are thousands of square miles of that kind of country in every state that doesn't fall in draw units, even in Wyoming. Don't get discouraged, just scout. You'll find what your looking for.
Jim Zumbo used to say that the BLM ground of the west holds goods bucks and he's right. Just takes a few years to learn it. Some of the biggest deer I've seen have been in sage country.