Wyoming Back-country help

KRKN

FNG
A friend suggested this Forum. Thanks in advance for any help.

I was supposed to leave this morning for a 10 day archery elk back-country backpack hunt in WY. Hunting partner hurt his back last night and can't go. I have a WY General Elk tag (either sex) and have E-scouted/ planned the trip for the last few months. In good shape and not afraid to work hard. I'm determined to not let this tag go to waste! My concern now is meat care/loss as I feel that carrying more than 60 pounds of meat per trip if I go Solo is asking for trouble. I'm concerned that if fortunate enough to take an animal, it could take 2++ full days to haul out all of the meat. Taking an animals life when there is a high probability that a large amount of the meat could be lost is not a decision I'm willing to make. So I'm considering engaging a guide or guide service. Two goals, one - have someone with hopefully archery elk hunting experience accelerate the learning process for me, two - have someone that can help with the haul out if it's in the cards. I've been DIY for the last 3 yrs Archery Elk (WY, CO, NM) and Mule Deer. I'm 51 yrs old, in good shape and enjoying this newfound interest in hunting (late onset hunting addiction!). I'm asking for suggestions for good guide services in WY (preferably SW WY) that may be able to fit me in. Literally my bags are packed and can be in WY in 24 hrs. Ideally looking for a back-country backpack or horseback trip.
I'm also not opposed at all to teaming up with someone else that may be in a similar situation or possibly a guide that is just getting started and trying to spread their wings into new areas or the back country.

Opportunity to interact with Elk, practice/refine calling and harvesting meat outweigh size class of animal. At the risk of being slayed by keyboard critics.......it is with great in advance gratitude that I ask for your constructive thoughts and suggestions.

BigDog00

WKR
Just go hunt!

Contrary to what Youtube/Instagram says you don't have to go 10 miles into the backcountry to kill elk. Think about how far you can realistically carry 4-5 loads of 70-80 lbs. Last year I killed a spike about 1.5 miles from the truck and did it in two trips. It wasn't easy but also not that bad. Mature bulls are big but if you shoot a cow or small bull/spike they are very manageable.

I generally hunt solo. I've found that they are talking I just either call enough to keep track of where they are or just stay quite and sneak in. Get the wind right and be quite. You can move relatively fast up to 100-150 yards (maybe even closer depending on the terrain) then slow way down and take your time. If they are in their bedding area they generally wont go anywhere. If its early morning then they will be on the move to bed.

Rich M

WKR
Pretty much. Just hunt.

The odds of success are low enough, you will def not get anything if you make excuses not to go.

If you shoot an elk, you've got 3 or 4 loads. That's when the suck it up Buttercup concepts come in.

Brendan

WKR
Just go.

Solo is more than possible, And if you get one down, keep your wits about you and bust your ass to get it out. It won't go bad if you're smart. Many, many, many people do it solo every year.

Meat care - get it broken down, boned out, in game bags, and hung off the ground as quickly as you can. Ferry it to the nearest creek bottom, shady or cool area, hang it off the ground so air circulates. Then, start throwing bags in your pack and start packing. Old Gritty Podcast for you, can probably download this one and listen on the way:

Buy an Inreach and activate it before leaving if that worries you.

OP
K

KRKN

FNG
Thanks for the replies and encouragement to attack this Solo. Over the last 24 hours I'm leaning more and more to going Solo and modifying my original plans to hunt closer to the truck as per recommendations and just figure it out. Thanks for the boost. I'll check back in after the hunt!

def90

WKR
It’s cold enough at night that the likelyhood of the meat going bad is pretty low. Keep it hanging in the shade and you should be fine. What you need to look for is a pack out service, not a guide.

Another vote to just get out there, I shot a bull two weeks ago that was only a third of a mile from the road and the majority of the elk I’ve killed have been no more than a mile from a road so just be reasonable with where you go and then get it cooled down and packed out as quick as you can.

OP
K

KRKN

FNG
I cant tell you all how much your words have helped me make a decision to go. I'll not be checking the forum from here on as I'll be in transit and w/o service where I'm planning to hunt. Thanks to BigDog00, Rich M, Fatcamp, Brendan, Oklahunter, Trial153, Olsolitaire 1, def90 and MTPipeliner for being kind enough to share your thoughts and encourage me to go. I'll be sure to post a full report when I return.

OXN939

WKR
I cant tell you all how much your words have helped me make a decision to go. I'll not be checking the forum from here on as I'll be in transit and w/o service where I'm planning to hunt. Thanks to BigDog00, Rich M, Fatcamp, Brendan, Oklahunter, Trial153, Olsolitaire 1, def90 and MTPipeliner for being kind enough to share your thoughts and encourage me to go. I'll be sure to post a full report when I return.

You've got 100% the right idea man, just stay close enough to the truck to get everything out effectively and you're set! I'll second that there are plenty of areas within 1 or 2 miles of roads that are completely invisible from a vehicle and will have lots of animals, depending on the unit. Good luck!

Just go hunt!

Contrary to what Youtube/Instagram says you don't have to go 10 miles into the backcountry to kill elk. Think about how far you can realistically carry 4-5 loads of 70-80 lbs. Last year I killed a spike about 1.5 miles from the truck and did it in two trips. It wasn't easy but also not that bad. Mature bulls are big but if you shoot a cow or small bull/spike they are very manageable.

I generally hunt solo. I've found that they are talking I just either call enough to keep track of where they are or just stay quite and sneak in. Get the wind right and be quite. You can move relatively fast up to 100-150 yards (maybe even closer depending on the terrain) then slow way down and take your time. If they are in their bedding area they generally wont go anywhere. If its early morning then they will be on the move to bed.

Agree..i find myself in your shoes quite often and even talked my wife to backpacking with me. I know it will take at least 2 to get it out unfortunately haven't had a chance to prove the theory but go for it!. It was a huge concern of mine to the point i didnt go in as far and to some places because of it but next time im just going to worry about it after. Another thought may be late notice but see bout lining up a packer you can get one load out call him and head in and get the rest. I may do that next time.

rcook10

WKR
I have only hunted elk alone. Packing out is not that bad. Just be mindful of your distance to truck and the weather.

OP
K

KRKN

FNG
Well, I'm back! Short story is "tangled with 4 bulls, 2 cows". Never released an arrow, except on 4 grouse as I stayed in for 7 days vs. the 4 days of food I took and needed calories. I learned a lot and truly enjoyed being in the Bridger Teton NF. Ran into a few other hunters all on horse or with a string of Goats/Llamas. I ended up setting up 2 camps, one ~ 6 miles in (I'd been in that area before and wanted to see what it was like this year). One 4.3 Miles in. The camp closer to the truck was the higher animal producer. I need to work on my setup as things happened quick after I started my calling sequences. Each time I got pinned down, animal starring straight thru me while I was motionless. Really surprised how well the Camo works if you are motionless and the wind is right. Bulls hung up further away and behind cover, cows came in much closer but I was trapped in front of the trees/brush I had positioned myself (back drop). I hoped to have an opportunity to draw when they finally turned away...hoping I could make a quick chirp and get them to give me a broadside shot. All I had were frontal shoots or very obscured shots through cover. I felt none of them were ethical shots and had read much about the controversial frontal shot. In all cases the animals finally grew impatient/bored/spooked and so each encounter ended. I still feel these were very important learning experiences and have built confidence in my ability to "find/call animals". I really enjoyed the "still hunting" approach and had a few hunts after some rain showers that reinforced how quietly a man can slip through the forest when its wet vs. dry!

Overall, really pleased with the trip, the learning I got, happy to have gotten in/out w/o incident. I now need to spend more time visualizing setups and studying solo calling/setup techniques for archery.

Thank you all for your words of encouragement and recommendations. Time to unpack my bag and determine what I did not use, so I can trim down my bag/packed weight even further. I'm also going to look into llama rentals! I was told there is a business in WY that will deliver llamas to the trailhead for you to use! Rental llamas...I like the idea of that!