Wyoming buck and doe tags

jt4

WKR
How can I make sure that the unit I’m planning to go in next year I’ll be able to get a buck tag and 1-2 doe/fawn tags? I’ve done a lot of research and am pretty certain on which unit I want to be in....but making a 30+ hour trip one way it’d be nice to be able to come back with as many antelope as I can possibly take.

PM if you can help out, I know a lot of people don’t want unit specific info in an open forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

desertcj

WKR
No guarantees! You put in for what you want and see what happens. I understand where your coming from but, trust me....if you kill 2 or 3, you'll be sick of gutting and skinning.

Dont rule out putting in for other tags. Lot of units hold antelope and mule deer. Plus there is the leftover draw, and the OTC leftovers...the later two options aren't ideal but if you draw a tag and maybe want another in your back pocket before a long drive its worth looking into.

wytx

WKR
You can put in for doe tags in an area near your buck area or same area. Doe tags are random draw so no guarantee on those. Apply for your doe tags in the same areas as your Type 1 tag and also in a close by area as a second choice.

How can I make sure that the unit I’m planning to go in next year I’ll be able to get a buck tag and 1-2 doe/fawn tags? I’ve done a lot of research and am pretty certain on which unit I want to be in....but making a 30+ hour trip one way it’d be nice to be able to come back with as many antelope as I can possibly take.

PM if you can help out, I know a lot of people don’t want unit specific info in an open forum.

There are no guarantees.

Pick units that historically have left over tags after first round draw and you might get lucky.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
jt4

jt4

WKR
I get that nothings a guarantee. My though process is this. Put in for 1st choice as a unit above what I’m likely to draw with the # of points I have. 2nd &3rd choice as units I’d like to hunt and wouldn’t actually use any points (I think this is what I’ve gathered from WYF&G). Then hope there are some leftover draw or leftover tags to buy after I’ve already secured a buck tag for a nearby unit.

There’s other options obviously, but as a guy on the east coast that’s not hunted out west yet this all blows my mind no matter how much reading I do.

robie

WKR
You are thinking on the right track. But you can never count on a doe tag in the same unit. If you don't get the doe tag you can look at other units with leftovers.

Also if it's just antelope you should look at flying. I've done both and flying home with meat and heads in a plastic tub as your checked luggage is very easy for Antelope.

It's nice to drive and have everything you want but for antelope you will be fine.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

There is also an option to withdrawl your doe antelope app if you don’t draw your buck tag in your chosen unit.

OP
jt4

jt4

WKR
Depending on leftovers is not a good plan.

Just to clarify, I'm not planning on relying on a leftover. I'm just looking for the most likely option to have as many tags as possible in the same or nearby units.

jwatts

WKR
So last year we applied and drew buck and doe tags. We applied in a unit where we were on the line for drawing with the points we had. We selected buck in that unit, and doe in that unit. You have the option to not get the doe tag if you don't draw your first choice buck tag. We then picked a second doe unit that was outside our first choice unit, and close enough to our second choice unit that we could hunt it anyway.

Had we drawn our first choice buck, we would have had buck and doe in that unit, and a second doe tag in a neighboring unit. We didn't draw our first choice, but did get our second choice buck tags. That meant we drew a buck tag, and our second doe tag. The first doe tag wasn't awarded since we opted to not get it if we didn't draw a buck tag in that unit.

Also, look at the leftover draw. You may be able to grab some doe tags, but it definitely isn't a guarantee. Looking at last year's odds, they aren't as common as they used to be.

bdan68

WKR
So last year we applied and drew buck and doe tags. We applied in a unit where we were on the line for drawing with the points we had. We selected buck in that unit, and doe in that unit. You have the option to not get the doe tag if you don't draw your first choice buck tag. We then picked a second doe unit that was outside our first choice unit, and close enough to our second choice unit that we could hunt it anyway.

Had we drawn our first choice buck, we would have had buck and doe in that unit, and a second doe tag in a neighboring unit. We didn't draw our first choice, but did get our second choice buck tags. That meant we drew a buck tag, and our second doe tag. The first doe tag wasn't awarded since we opted to not get it if we didn't draw a buck tag in that unit.

It sounds like you don't quite understand how the draw process works. Since you did draw the buck tag, that draw had no effect on your application for the doe tag. The draw process doesn't look at the areas you applied for, all that matters is it you draw a buck tag or not. If not, then your doe tag application is not included in the drawing and you cannot draw a doe tag, for any area.

bdan68

WKR
To answer the original question, you can just about guarantee you'll draw the one buck tag and two doe tags if you apply for certain units in the Northeast part of the state. There are several units that have tags remaining after the first drawing, every year. If you apply for all your tags in one of those units, you will get them. You could also apply again in the leftover draw for two more doe tags and one more buck tag in that same unit. Potentially you could end up with 2 buck tags and 4 doe tags, all in the same unit. The issue of course is that the units where this is possible, have very little public land.

Private land tags are about your only guarentee. hire an outfitter or pay a rancher a trespass fee.
hunt private and get private land tags only. apply for type 2(Any/buck) and then in the second draw apply for type 7(doe).

or if you want to hunt public apply for your type 1(Any/buck) and see if there are leftover public doe tags come the second draw.

Last edited:

jwatts

WKR
It sounds like you don't quite understand how the draw process works. Since you did draw the buck tag, that draw had no effect on your application for the doe tag. The draw process doesn't look at the areas you applied for, all that matters is it you draw a buck tag or not. If not, then your doe tag application is not included in the drawing and you cannot draw a doe tag, for any area.

I was under the impression that if you didn't draw 1st choice, then you wouldn't get the doe tag. At least that's how the WY game and fish person we spoke to explained it. Draw odds showed that we should have gotten that doe tag even though we didn't get the 1st choice buck so I assumed it was true.

bdan68

WKR
I was under the impression that if you didn't draw 1st choice, then you wouldn't get the doe tag. At least that's how the WY game and fish person we spoke to explained it. Draw odds showed that we should have gotten that doe tag even though we didn't get the 1st choice buck so I assumed it was true.

Here is how the WGFD explains it:

The withdrawal block is your method of communicating to the license system that you do NOT want a reduced price license if you do NOT draw a full price license. The full price license drawing is conducted first. Before conducting the reduced price license drawing, the system will automatically review all reduced price license applications and remove any application from participating in the reduced price license drawing if the system does not find a full price license issued for the same species for the sportsperson and the withdrawal block was checked.
The sportsperson should understand that the system does not look for the hunt area in which the full price license was issued. It only looks for the existence of a full price license of the same species being issued. It is possible to draw your reduced price license and your full price license for different hunt areas. If you don’t want to draw a reduced price license in a hunt area that differs from the hunt area you are applying for your full price license, then you should list the same hunt area as your first choice on both applications, leave the other choices blank and check the withdrawal box. The result will be that, if you don’t draw your full price license, you will not participate in the reduced price license drawing. Keep in mind, the drawings are independent of each other. If you draw your full price license, you may not draw your reduced price license.
However, if the withdrawal block is checked and you don’t draw your full price, you won’t draw a reduced price license because you will not be in that drawing.

jwatts

WKR
Thanks. I guess we got lucky not pulling that first doe tag since it would have been well outside of the unit we drew.

I’m not sure about antelope, but can you have more than 2 tags? I know for most species in Wyoming you can hold one full price and one reduced price tag. Can you get more than that for antelope?

bdan68

WKR
I’m not sure about antelope, but can you have more than 2 tags? I know for most species in Wyoming you can hold one full price and one reduced price tag. Can you get more than that for antelope?

From page 10 of the 2019 Hunting Regulations:

(c) For antelope, no person shall apply for and receive more than one (1) full price antelope license (Type 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or 9) through the initial drawing. After the initial drawing is completed, any person may apply for and receive up to two (2) full price antelope licenses. However, no person shall apply for and receive more than a total of two (2) full price antelope licenses.
(d) For doe/fawn antelope, any person may apply for and receive a maximum of two (2) limited quota reduced price doe/fawn antelope licenses (Type 6, 7 or 8) through the initial drawing. After the initial drawing is completed, any person may purchase up to four (4) limited quota reduced price doe/ fawn antelope licenses. However, no person shall apply for and receive more than a total of four (4) limited quota reduced price doe/fawn antelope licenses.

Last edited:
From a guy from Illinois, who hunted out west the first time last year, I suggest calling Wyoming game and fish. They were super nice when I called and confirmed that what I was planning on doing was correct. Reading all the info on what you need to do to draw a tag makes my head spin. I also have wondered exactly what you are wondering, because I see people in my area that go out to Wyoming and come back with 2-3 antelope. (1 buck and the rest does) I am also trying to do an antelope hunt for next year, and the best conformation for this that I could find, was what was mentioned previously here. If the unit you are looking at has a history of less applications than the doe tag quota, then you should get a doe tag. Its random draw for the doe tag, so that is the best way to confirm it.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitebeard