Wyoming commissioner tag help??

wysongdog

WKR
Morning everyone, need some help. I’ve got a problem I never thought I would have. I won a Wyoming commissioner tag this weekend in a raffle. I can hunt deer or elk…. Where and what would you hunt? I’ll probably bow hunt and use my ponies. I live in Baggs, have 124 elk area right here that has some stud elk. Thanks for the help.

wytx

WKR
Man, area 100 might be my choice just to hunt it one time.
Good luck and let us know what you do !

Riplip

WKR
I don't have any recommendations, but congratulations. Should be fun as hell. Hopefully you post a follow up thread on the hunt.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
That’s awesome. Congratulations. I don’t have an elk unit for you but I sure would like to see what you deviance how it turns out. That’s some great news 👍

204guy

WKR
Can you just pick gen? I'd probably just go that route, it'll be far less stressful. :)

I'd be a bit leary of picking any kind of desert hunt with the drought. Late deer by Cody or Dubois. Farris Elk? Surely there's some place in the state you've always dreamed of hunting.

Laramie

WKR
Deer or elk comes down to personal preference. I would personally use it on elk in 124 or 100.

go_deep

WKR
Don't know that you can go wrong with 124 being that you live in Baggs especially! Congratulations!

fmyth

WKR
Morning everyone, need some help. I’ve got a problem I never thought I would have. I won a Wyoming commissioner tag this weekend in a raffle. I can hunt deer or elk…. Where and what would you hunt? I’ll probably bow hunt and use my ponies. I live in Baggs, have 124 elk area right here that has some stud elk. Thanks for the help.
Congratulations! My 124 bull from last year green scored 364 and change. You should stop and talk to Clay in town and see what he knows about 124 this year. I'll be up in the Baggs area the last week of Sept and first week of Oct trying to fill my doe tag and then over Thanksgiving to fill a CO late season unit 5 cow tag. I may also come up to help Tom C's 12 yr son get his first bull in 100. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you with your hunt.
Frank

tdhanses

WKR
Can you hunt all seasons? Meaning if your unsuccessful on this oil op with a bow you could still hunt gun seasons? Do you have to pick a unit or is it good for the entire state? Just things I’d think about but I have zero recommendations on where but as far as the what I’d go elk every time.

Congrats on a great tag!

If you have time, go check out some of the areas of interest before you declare which area you are going to hunt. Once you pick your area that's it, no rules saying you cant window shop though. Good luck!

OP
W

wysongdog

WKR
Thanks guys for all the comments. And ideas. I’m not going to declare my area till I find the animal. Going to head to Ferris this weekend with the mules and start looking since everyone is in Rawlins for fair. 100/124 are both in my back yard and I would be dumb to not look at them. I can go out after work. 128 deer is probably the hardest tag to draw in Wyoming but visiting with guys that have been around it for several years really say the quality isn’t what it was mid 180’s probably the top end. But a super fun hunt. Daughter has volleyball tournament Riverton area last weekend of August so I’m going to go ride and look at area 61.

I wasn’t going to even hunt this year. My daughter is a senior and I promised her I wouldn’t miss any of her volleyball or basketball games. So that will add to the challenge lol. I had to order arrows today as I don’t even have my arrows set up or bow all the way sighted in. My brother has been coming up shooting my targets and instead of shooting with him I’ve been working on the yard etc. So I’ve got a lot of catching up to do lol, but like it’s been said what a problem to have. I haven’t been in the saddle for 2 years after 3 back surgeries last year. Haven’t been pushing it much because I haven‘t needed too…. Well now it’s game on. Time to get my a$$ in the saddle and start legging up the mules n

Ebby

WKR
I think I'd hunt elk for sure. 100/124 either would be great choice. Deer in WY isn't as good as elk in my opinion. You'd be looking at a 180" type deer most anywhere as top end where with elk you'd have a legit opportunity at 360" plus animals in several units. Maybe even could get that 390" plus type bull. A few of those are around every year. Won't be easy anywhere but I think I'd chase elk if I had that tag.

Lee

OP
W

wysongdog

WKR
I think I'd hunt elk for sure. 100/124 either would be great choice. Deer in WY isn't as good as elk in my opinion. You'd be looking at a 180" type deer most anywhere as top end where with elk you'd have a legit opportunity at 360" plus animals in several units. Maybe even could get that 390" plus type bull. A few of those are around every year. Won't be easy anywhere but I think I'd chase elk if I had that tag.

Lee
I agree 100%. I’m thinking the same thing

Scoot

WKR
Elk. Archery. 100 or 124. Oh... and... I'm jealous! Have fun!

OP
W

wysongdog

WKR
Little update guys. Been scouting, riding, hiking area 32,124,100,22..
Eliminated 32. 124 and 100 have found several 340 class bulls but nothing spectacular
I did find a awesome dead head in 124 probably wouldn’t pass up on this bull if I got him in archery range lol 27E9C9BA-AF73-4AA9-9B83-5381653C709A.jpegC421B447-08BF-4617-9BAB-60EA6452E694.jpeg549C3B24-697C-441C-B487-A2BE41F8E472.jpeg