Wyoming Corner Crossing defense fund

jmez

WKR
Outfitters have exclusive rights. Wealthy, absentee owners have exclusive rights. Public land hunters aren't going to get very far.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Bighorner

WKR
Beware what you wish for with the task force. There is talk about private access in return for transferable land owner tags. That is a whole other can of worms for a different thread, but the access agreements are year to year the transferable tags will be forever. If you think it's hard to get a good tag now, wait until they are all soaked up by landowner tags and are sold for thousands of dollars on the open market. We wont have tags or a place to go when we get them. Sounds like a bait and switch.

Beware what you wish for with the task force. There is talk about private access in return for transferable land owner tags. That is a whole other can of worms for a different thread, but the access agreements are year to year the transferable tags will be forever. If you think it's hard to get a good tag now, wait until they are all soaked up by landowner tags and are sold for thousands of dollars on the open market. We wont have tags or a place to go when we get them. Sounds like a bait and switch.
I agree! Our current landowner tag system probably isn't all that bad or broken.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Mtnboy

WKR
I don't want to take anything away from the contributions of the WY Chapter of BHA on this, I'm sure those are fine folks in the trenches.

But....those hoping for BHA at a National Level to step in "big" on this are probably going to end up disappointed.

I'd look for an Action Alert, couple social media posts and not much else.

TheTone

WKR
I noticed the owner of Reel Game Calls postings seem to indicate he’s firmly against corner crossing and sees it as a violation of private property rights. I always thought he seemed a bit “off” and the calls looked like crap but now I know for sure I’ll own never one

Last edited:

wytx

WKR
I’m not convinced much will happen; there aren’t 50 people that corner cross in Wyoming and the other 50,000 didn’t care enough to bother calling the warden or sheriff to see what he’d do if they tried it. Elk mountain ranch will have nobody crossing but it’s the anomaly, there just aren’t that many people crossing corners. If this case is won, I suspect the legislature will step in.
We must deal with all 50 then because corner crossing does happen a lot. We work for a rancher that has some state sections adjacent and they corner on each other. I have made it known to the GW that we do not mind corner crossing at all.
Folks have been using it for years and for the most part are good about staying on public but there are always a few. The corners don't really matter much on the trespassing , folks that want to wander are going to anyway.

Btaylor

WKR
We must deal with all 50 then because corner crossing does happen a lot. We work for a rancher that has some state sections adjacent and they corner on each other. I have made it known to the GW that we do not mind corner crossing at all.
Folks have been using it for years and for the most part are good about staying on public but there are always a few. The corners don't really matter much on the trespassing , folks that want to wander are going to anyway.
I think this is such an important aspect to the discussion. I would speculate the folks making an effort to corner cross are likely not the folks poaching private property.

brocksw

WKR
I don't want to take anything away from the contributions of the WY Chapter of BHA on this, I'm sure those are fine folks in the trenches.

But....those hoping for BHA at a National Level to step in "big" on this are probably going to end up disappointed.

I'd look for an Action Alert, couple social media posts and not much else.
Still be more than rmef has done in MT regarding multiple pieces of garbage elk legislation.

Mtnboy

WKR
I noticed the owner of Reel Game Calls postings seem to indicate he’s firmly against corner crossing and sees it as a violation of private property rights. I always thought he seemed a bit “off” and the calls looked like crap but now I know for sure I’ll own one
Just scrolled his latest post.

I definitely know what company I won't be buying any calls from in the future....

TheTone

WKR
Oops, yeah
So are you “for” or “against”? The last line of your post above seems to contradict other comments. Maybe a typing error?
Oops, typing fast while holding a child. Added
A word to the first post now to clarify

More media coverage keeping this alive in the public limelight. The legal defense fund now has 51K in funding, almost double the goal. The more the public finds out about this the better public acceptance and support it will gain.

More media coverage keeping this alive in the public limelight. The legal defense fund now has 51K in funding, almost double the goal. The more the public finds out about this the better public acceptance and support it will gain.

One minor gripe about the media coverage - lots of pictures zoomed in on a single corner or two to illustrate the concept. Is it too much to ask for a zoomed out image of the i80 corridor so people can understand just how prevalent this is? I don't think the average hunter who hasn't spent time around these areas fully grasps the context.

checkerboard.jpgcheckerboard 2.png

Last edited:
This case will not solve the issue no matter how these fellas are charged. It's in criminal court so they will be found guilty or not guilty no precedent will be set either way...if they are found guilty 50K won't cover the appeal process to the next court level. If anything all this will do is bring attention to the problem and the state legislation will draw up a law to make it illegal.

I think that's why BHA was so quick to get involved great PR with a case that will make no difference. All upside for them.

I hope I am wrong but I don't see this case changing anything.

GotDraw?

WKR
This case will not solve the issue no matter how these fellas are charged. It's in criminal court so they will be found guilty or not guilty no precedent will be set either way...if they are found guilty 50K won't cover the appeal process to the next court level. If anything all this will do is bring attention to the problem and the state legislation will draw up a law to make it illegal.

I think that's why BHA was so quick to get involved great PR with a case that will make no difference. All upside for them.

I hope I am wrong but I don't see this case changing anything.
$50k can be spent in one month of prep for a trial. Easily spent.
Complex trial can cost well over $500k, even $1 milllion, then cost of appeal.
They'll need a real war chest.
Everyone hopes lack of conviction sets a precedent in the court, but the criminal court can only refer to existing regulations/law. The upside is getting the attention of the general population and put pressure on regulators and politicians to make access changes.

JL