Wyoming Corner Crossing defense fund

406life

Lil-Rokslider
As much as folks trash talk BHA I believe they were working on this legislatively. Maybe its time to get some backing and start taking this up through the court system. This checker boarding of land is the biggest bunch of shit I have ever seen. Anyone on here that is a land owner doing this, I hope you get screwed.

Ron
Can you cite a source that they've been working on this cooperatively with stakeholders?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I donated. Would hate to see the legal precedent go against the public, that could have serious impacts.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

541hunter

WKR
As much as folks trash talk BHA I believe they were working on this legislatively. Maybe its time to get some backing and start taking this up through the court system. This checker boarding of land is the biggest bunch of shit I have ever seen. Anyone on here that is a land owner doing this, I hope you get screwed.

Ron

You should look up the history on why the west is a checkerboard pattern. I’ll give away the ending, it’s not people buying parcels to purposely lock up public lands, it was policies of the federal government.

chadcharb

Lil-Rokslider
I've never hunted in Wyoming but I hope to in the future. I'll throw a couple bucks in to help!

Fatcamp

WKR
You should look up the history on why the west is a checkerboard pattern. I’ll give away the ending, it’s not people buying parcels to purposely lock up public lands, it was policies of the federal government.

Without a doubt people buy particular pieces of property to lock others out of public. Same as outfitters leasing land that otherwise might give permission to access public behind it.

That isn't where the checkerboard comes from of course, but it certainly is happening all over the west.

I'm in, Bob. Hope it goes the right way.

Gobbler36

WKR
donated
I’m down with this, hope it goes up to the highest court it can. This rule and these land owners are such bullshit. I almost can’t think when it comes to this topic I get so pissed thinking of how many acres are out there being used by some fat cat rancher that we have no access to but pay for it

TheTone

WKR
Without a doubt people buy particular pieces of property to lock others out of public. Same as outfitters leasing land that otherwise might give permission to access public behind it.

That isn't where the checkerboard comes from of course, but it certainly is happening all over the west.

I'm in, Bob. Hope it goes the right way.
Not just buying land to block access but real estate ads will frequently mention that property has a border with public, landlocked public, etc

Not sure about Wyo but other western states the wildlife officers can and are expected to enforce all laws. Like DUI. Providing backup in rural areas etc.
In the state of Iowa, game wardens have jurisdiction over the entire state with authority to enforce all game, fish, and criminal laws, similar to a state trooper.

What is the ultimate desired outcome here for public land hunters? Is it for property owners to be required to install/maintain a permanent legal easement to the public areas? If so, and I'm simply playing devil's advocate here so don't freak out, who is responsible for any damage, vandlization, or other potential issues associated with the easement? For example, if its a rancher that has cows, sheep, etc..., who is responsible if gates are left open or fences are damaged? If guys cross the easement with horses, mules, or vehicles, who has to repair any ruts or address potential erosion or other problems? What about littering? I know we'd all like to think that hunters would be respectful, but if you've been to any public hunting or fishing area you've seen the empty shell casings, trash, fishing line, aluminum cans, etc..., that are left in some areas.

The first thing property owners are going to ask is who is responsible for these types of issues with any proposed easement, and if the answer is the land owner, things will not go in favor of the public land hunters I'm guessing.

Last edited:

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
Can you cite a source that they've been working on this cooperatively with stakeholders?

Going on a personal conversation I had with Land Tawny (BHA) about 18 months ago.

He stated they were waiting for the right case to go forward.

Ron

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
In the state of Iowa, game wardens have jurisdiction over the entire state with authority to enforce all game, fish, and criminal laws, similar to a state trooper.

What is the ultimate desired outcome here for public land hunters? Is it for property owners to be required to install/maintain a permanent legal easement to the public areas? If so, and I'm simply playing devil's advocate here so don't freak out, who is responsible for any damage, vandlization, or other potential issues associated with the easement? For example, if its a rancher that has cows, sheep, etc..., who is responsible if gates are left open or fences are damaged? If guys cross the easement with horses, mules, or vehicles, who has to repair any ruts or address potential erosion or other problems?

They are getting free land that belongs to US tax payers, not really concerned about their issues if they keep blocking folks from it. If they provide walk in access then we can look at those issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro