Wyoming Corner Crossing defense fund

Traveler

WKR
Correct. I have no idea where he crossed and didn’t get a feeling it was anywhere near one.
Facts are facts, a WY warden can not and will not write a ticket for trespass unless you crossed private and/or are on private with the intent to hunt. They can only cite for game violations. And, is the reason the warden stood and watched the 4 subjects of this thread, cross the corner and did nothing.
This seems like a situation where details matter and will elude most everyone not directly involved. Corner crossing 30’ from the corner is not corner crossing. Not saying that’s what happened but as a land owner it is shocking what some people will do with or without permission. It only takes one bad apple…But that buck was right on the fence line and was just on public, I could probably just drag it to public in a minute…

Trial153

WKR
Donation sent.

Looking at the picture should show the elephant in the corner. If corner crossing from public to public was a violation of the private to private LO air space then the extended chain from private to private is no less of violation of the publics air space over their lands.

Vandy321

WKR
The GoFundMe was only started 5 days ago.
Not sure you're following the comment train...someone said his conversation with Land 18 months ago was proof BHA was going to be all over this issue. 18 months later, crickets from BHA. This isn't the first ticket anyone had gotten for corner hopping.

Flyjunky

WKR
Donation sent.

Looking at the picture should show the elephant in the corner. If corner crossing from public to public was a violation of the private to private LO air space then the extended chain from private to private is no less of violation of the publics air space over their lands.
The other thing I haven't heard mentioned is about the accuracy of the boundaries. I have a friend who surveys for a private timber company and I told him about this. He was saying that land which has been under one owner, or family, for many years is most likely not correctly marked. He said most fences are off the correct property boundary by quite a few feet in most cases. So, how can someone get in trouble for crossing at the corner when most likely that corner isn't correct. How much trouble would a landowner get in if it was found that his fences were maybe farther on public than what his deeds said? Just something to think about.

204guy

WKR
The other thing I haven't heard mentioned is about the accuracy of the boundaries. I have a friend who surveys for a private timber company and I told him about this. He was saying that land which has been under one owner, or family, for many years is most likely not correctly marked. He said most fences are off the correct property boundary by quite a few feet in most cases. So, how can someone get in trouble for crossing at the corner when most likely that corner isn't correct. How much trouble would a landowner get in if it was found that his fences were maybe farther on public than what his deeds said? Just something to think about.
You can see the survey pin in the original post.

FlyGuy

WKR
I’m happy to see this! I donated and I hope this absurdity quickly becomes a thing of the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

300stw

FNG
there is no difference between that spot and my city property, i could have 20 people a day cited,
we need to quit thinking about hunting and corner crossing, corner crossi g anywhere at anytime violates the airspace , and harns the landowner,,, supposedly, so im gonna be rich,,, 20 civil suits a day to file,,

just trying to show the picture i see, im all for corner crossing,, at defined corners, i cant figure out how i have been violated by all the corner crossers i deal with,,,,

Not sure you're following the comment train...someone said his conversation with Land 18 months ago was proof BHA was going to be all over this issue. 18 months later, crickets from BHA. This isn't the first ticket anyone had gotten for corner hopping.
This may very well be the first time someone has been charged with a criminal trespassing ticket when they never set foot on the private land.

Jimss

WKR
If the hunters win someone ought to place a permanent ladder over the landowners chain and signs! The spooky part about this is that if the hunters are found guilty they could possibly loose their hunting rights in all Western states for the next 5 years.

mhabiger

FNG
Donated. Getting some legal clarity on corner crossing in Wyoming would be great. As someone who has hunted public land in WY I hope its allowed, and for WY real property owners I hope the ruling is narrowly defined!

It'd be great if the ruling resulted in an opinion that could be translated to some practical guidelines for hunters.

Jbehredt

WKR
Correct, and this case is the perfect example to test in court. You can plainly see the landowner is trying to keep public off public land, and crossing at this specific corner does not damage nor infringe on said landowners use of his property.

Right. That picture with the chain OUTSIDE of two fences, with two signs offset to center directly over a corner marker says it ALL. Proof positive that he’s trying to keep people off public who don’t affect his land in the slightest. I’d bet that if he retains counsel that corner looks different before he appears in court.

Jn78

Lil-Rokslider
there is no difference between that spot and my city property, i could have 20 people a day cited,
we need to quit thinking about hunting and corner crossing, corner crossi g anywhere at anytime violates the airspace , and harns the landowner,,, supposedly, so im gonna be rich,,, 20 civil suits a day to file,,

just trying to show the picture i see, im all for corner crossing,, at defined corners, i cant figure out how i have been violated by all the corner crossers i deal with,,,,
There are two differences that immediately come to mind between your city property and that spot. 1. You have no special interest lobbyists in the legislature trying to protect your interest in keeping trespassers away from your corners. There are lots of lobbyists who get paid lots of money to protect the interests of the hundreds of billion of dollars per year agricultural/ranching industry and those guys don't want corner crossing to be legal. 2. There is no state agency that specifically regulates use of your lands and enforces laws. Fish and game was created, in part, to manage access and corner crossing impacts access.

Also, good luck with your 20 civil suits per day - for a civil suit to work, there usually have to be financial damages. You have no monetary loss. Criminal trespass doesn't require monetary loss.

3forks

WKR
I drive past this ranch all the time.

I Googled the ranch, and found out quite a bit about this ranch and its got an extensive and unique history.

One piece of information that I came across, I haven’t seen discussed here (or missed it). There was a Supreme Court ruling that concerned a ranch nearby this one, and I would imagine is what the land owner is basing their position concerning corner crossing on.

I‘ve attached the screen shot of the statement from the website I posted earlier.

I would imagine that those involved in this potential case have taken this SC ruling into account, but I’d be interested to hear from anyone else who has anymore info on this particular ruling.

I’ve donated, and like everyone else see this as case sportsman must win.

Attachments

• 43EC3FDD-F761-46C0-92BE-4784DC196165.jpeg
    43EC3FDD-F761-46C0-92BE-4784DC196165.jpeg
    55 KB · Views: 148

jmez

WKR
Sportsman will lose. On one side you have interest that can afford a $20 million dollar property. On the other you have a go fund me account. It's really that simple.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Flyjunky

WKR
You can see the survey pin in the original post.
I understand that the survey pin is in that picture but I'm talking in general. From my understanding not all the corners have a survey pin, and not only that but I would imagine if a survey was done the fences would not be exactly on the property line going in either direction from that pin. If LO want to push this issue, then I think they need to make sure their land is correctly marked. Maybe we should require them to have all their land surveyed and fences moved if it's found they are not exactly on their property line. That would cost tons of money and time for them, it might change some minds and a compromise might become a more attractive option. If they can claim "airspace" then why can't the public claim they are infringing on our land if their fence is indeed on public?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I drive past this ranch all the time.

I Googled the ranch, and found out quite a bit about this ranch and its got an extensive and unique history.

One piece of information that I came across, I haven’t seen discussed here (or missed it). There was a Supreme Court ruling that concerned a ranch nearby this one, and I would imagine is what the land owner is basing their position concerning corner crossing on.

I‘ve attached the screen shot of the statement from the website I posted earlier.

I would imagine that those involved in this potential case have taken this SC ruling into account, but I’d be interested to hear from anyone else who has anymore info on this particular ruling.

I’ve donated, and like everyone else see this as case sportsman must win.
In this supreme court case the defendant crossed 80' of private land to access public. The argument was since he was historically doing it without charge it was a grandfathered easement.

Not related to this current case. Are these markers accurate and private land ownership over the air space nearest the ground will be legal precedent to over come here. I do believe there is an argument to be made.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk