Wyoming Corner Crossing defense fund

406life

Lil-Rokslider
You can’t work collaboratively with people that have no interest in allowing access to the checkerboard parcels. See exhibit A of two fence posts with chains strapped together.
Maybe not, but you could work with those that aren't doing that. Again, just looking for an example of collaborative work.

So technically, by law, I can set up a surveillance camera on the public sidewalk running on my property. If someone cuts the corner and steps over my yard, rather than staying completely on the sidewalk, I can prosecute them for trespassing. Everyone that lives in town in WY should start doing this, and call the police every time they see it happen. Demand that charges be filed. Provide video evidence of your airspace being invaded.

One would need to look at where the public ROW easement extends. I'm guessing most of the sidewalks and part of your yard are in it.

They redid a road along about 500' of my yard this summer and had to buy the larger easement into my lot. I thought it was a good deal until they started putting additional utilities and shit they never told me about in their new expanded easement in my yard.

He or his ancestors paid dearly for that access right. If the private landowner has a grazing lease or some other contractual agreement with the public entity that manages the public parcel, he has more rights to the public that any other citizen.

It's pretty clear in the real estate description for this ranch (link below) that the sellers were pitching the ranch as having exclusive access to public land so you're right the owner did pay dearly for it. Problem is they didn't pay the public who actually owns the resource.

Ucsdryder

WKR
It's pretty clear in the real estate description for this ranch (link below) that the sellers were pitching the ranch as having exclusive access to public land so you're right the owner did pay dearly for it. Problem is they didn't pay the public who actually owns the resource.

Protect the ranch from public access? What a crock of shit…

Attachments

• 43AE9DFF-186D-48D7-BDD7-867EE439E8DC.png
    43AE9DFF-186D-48D7-BDD7-867EE439E8DC.png
    405.7 KB · Views: 191
That add talks like they own Elk Mountain and even lists the BLM lands as part of the property.
There should be some fines levied against that real estate business for that add alone.

Last edited:

jmez

WKR
BLM lands are always listed as part of the property in the west. The leases go with the ranch.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

This video from the Full Draw Film Tour this year was pretty awesome. Hunting landlocked public by helicopter. Obviously not an option for 99% of hunters. Anyone got a helicopter? I imagine the landowners would prefer walk in corner hopping access to getting buzzed over constantly!

@BuzzH are these guys willing to go all the way to the Wyoming Supreme Court if they lose in the lower courts?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Cowbell

WKR
BLM lands are always listed as part of the property in the west. The leases go with the ranch.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
Thank you for bringing some knowledge to this thread. Not only the leases but the ranch value is increased based on the number of leased acres attached to the ranch at usually 50% or more the price of a deeded acre. I get there are selfish landowners out there that give them all a bad name. But there are an even larger number of ignorant outdoorsman that spout off on this subject that haven't taken 5 minutes to understand this from a landowners perspective. If corner crossing becomes legal, you are going to see some devaluation of ranch land and a massive amount of land swaps put before BLM. If it wasn't for private landowners, many wildlife herds would be decimated. Hunters need to think about this before they run their mouth against everyone that has a ranch that borders public.

Reactions: wyo
I think folks recognize private land owner contributions to wildlife and environments. As well they recognize the increase in property value driven by the location of a property and what borders it.
Having said that I’ve not heard an argument that would convince me that locking citizens out of publicly held lands is a good thing. As far as I’m concerned at this point large tracts of public land should not be allowed to be landlocked.
Large property owners loosing land value due to the public gaining access to public land doesn’t concern me.
Maybe at some point I’ll be convinced otherwise. Maybe if they passed law creating access we’d all regret having done so in 10 years.
I’d sure like to give it a try and find out. I’m made aware often that many folks feel the same.

Trial153

WKR
Thank you for bringing some knowledge to this thread. Not only the leases but the ranch value is increased based on the number of leased acres attached to the ranch at usually 50% or more the price of a deeded acre. I get there are selfish landowners out there that give them all a bad name. But there are an even larger number of ignorant outdoorsman that spout off on this subject that haven't taken 5 minutes to understand this from a landowners perspective. If corner crossing becomes legal, you are going to see some devaluation of ranch land and a massive amount of land swaps put before BLM. If it wasn't for private landowners, many wildlife herds would be decimated. Hunters need to think about this before they run their mouth against everyone that has a ranch that borders public.

Tough shit. No more free lunch for you.

Bighorner

WKR
Cowbell, in other areas I generally agree with you so please let me know if I am making an incorrect assumption, but the price of the federal land tacked on to a ranch is for the leased grass, not for the recreational lease. Because of the status quo there has been a general move to land owners feeling they own the leased ground.

I dont think anyone discounts the fact that wildlife benefits from private ground and there is alot of chest puffing over this, but what are you really saying? If people get more access to federal surface the recourse is to destroy habitats? High fence everything to exclude wildlife? Turn off water? What dose that say about the humble rancher living in tune with nature. Also I really doubted landowners are willing to remove the revenue stream they get from outfitting and trespass fees.

I say this for the sake of discussion not as an insult. I remember you saying you are in ag and seemed to have very even handed ideas about stocking rates and fees for fed land.