Wyoming corner crossing lawsuit

Jimmyc73

FNG
Hoping this is resolved soon. keep building preference points till this crap gets sorted out.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
It's really too bad WY doesn't adopt laws like in ND. It's the best state I've personally ever been in when it comes to accessing public lands.

Every section line is a walking easement (30' wide I believe) unless there is a road in which case you can drive the section line.

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It's really too bad WY doesn't adopt laws like in ND. It's the best state I've personally ever been in when it comes to accessing public lands.

Every section line is a walking easement (30' wide I believe) unless there is a road in which case you can drive the section line.
Yes, it's really nice. 66 feet, 33 each side of every section line unless specifically closed by the county commission. I belive SD has the same.

Many western states had the opportunity to do the same at statehood but didn't take advantage of it. To create it now would involve condemnation proceedings and compensation.

jbwright

WKR
Yes, it's really nice. 66 feet, 33 each side of every section line unless specifically closed by the county commission. I belive SD has the same.

Many western states had the opportunity to do the same at statehood but didn't take advantage of it. To create it now would involve condemnation proceedings and compensation.
Had no idea. Really interesting and logical to have this buffer zone.

I always took that for granted for the years i lived in ND. It's accepted because it's always been that way but I couldn't support transitioning to that system in another state where every property owner in the state purchased land under different conditions.

Buzz posted up the defendant's motion over on Randy's forum. 66 pages of good stuff. They disputed the charges on 3 separate angles.

Some interesting documents from the sheriffs and warden included.

Initially the sheriff didn't charge them and noted to the ranch manager that the county attorney "doesn't prosecute corner crossing".

Ranch manager was on the body cam making statements about how much money and land the Land owner (Fred Eshelman) has.

After land owner calls to the county attorney it seems she had a change in heart. (this detail wasn't covered as far as I saw in the request for dismissal).

other recent articles: https://www.hcn.org/issues/54.3/nor...d-with-trespassing-on-land-they-never-touched

Commissioner pulls commissioner tag from BHA in fear of donation indicating he favors legal corner crossing: https://wyofile.com/corner-crossing-bill-emerges-as-gf-commissioner-pulls-license-donation/
Legislator saying the previously referred to "corner crossing bill" isn't about corner crossing

And an unrelated interesting article about the Elk Mountain Ranch Owner:

Landowner is now trying to scare the defendants away from their fight with the costs of an expensive civil suit. This whole thing is a pretty damning example of the wealth buying the law.

>>arrow>

FNG
Big Money fighting the working man. Why should the public support public lands if the public can't access them. Looks like the public is funding public lands just for the enjoyment of the private land owners around it. Part of this is also about air space..... How far up do you go with air space. Are land owners going to start charging airline to cross over their lands. This is a mess because of big money. NOTE: I own a lot of land..

CJ19

WKR
Glad I didn’t waste any money on this effort. With the entire state on the way to 90/10 the kings there can fight this alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I guess i took for granted just how flush with money these western states and so called sportsmans groups like bha are. They have been playing the NR public land hunting crowd for their own benefit for awhile now it seems like. The conversation surrounding this issue certainly changed my perspective. Played.

Elknr1975

FNG
I grew up near the ranch in question. Another angle for everyone to consider- I have considered purchasing property with a similar situation where it backed up to BLM. That really can influence land value... I ended up not buying but I learned quite a bit. If this becomes legal, a lot of land is going to lose value. People who bought property with a similar corner will now stand to lose quite a bit of money. Right or wrong, it is a point of contention.

I personally believe corner crossing should be negotiated, and landowners compensated yearly, to offset the loss they would take.
It’s not there property behind! It’s public land.
So what if there property loses value