Wyoming cow elk hunt

AR hunter

FNG
Hey nice to be a part of this group and have been enjoying getting to read several of the threads and stuff on here and thank y’all so much for yalls in put, I’ve been out west hunting for 6 years now mostly for antelope and mule deer and once for elk, but this year my daughter has asked to come along and try to get her a cow elk, I’ve been doing research and looking around the southern board close to Utah in the desert area just bc I think it might be alittle easier on her and I’ve hunted up around Gillette and Bufflo and have seen elk out there while hunting for antelope and mule deer but they are always on private but either down around there on the border or up around the bighorns, I’m kinda looking for some more open country which I know that is probably going to reduce the number of elk but really would like some guidance on weather or not I’m on the right track or do I need to go a different direction, she is only 13 but is pretty motivated and has started walking and hiking with me trying to get ready for this hunt, so any help or guidance would greatly be appreciated

aidan_downey

Lil-Rokslider
I would strongly recommend Unit 7. Elk are pretty nomadic but if you give it a couple of days and aren't afraid to hike you could definitely get her on one. They give out a ton of tags so do not expect to be the only guy out there. Harvest reports have been low this year because of the unusably warm weather so hopefully next year will be better with some weather. Nice terrain, very open and lots of late season options to choose from.

Seamaster

Lil-Rokslider
An area 7 type 4 tag is good, but a type #6 only if you have access to the private land where they will be gathered in large herds. Same thing for area 6.

aidan_downey

Lil-Rokslider
Seamaster I'm curious what you mean? They are essentially the same tag the type 4 and type 6, one is antlerless and one is cow calf. That is the only difference i can see?

Seamaster

Lil-Rokslider
You are right, the dates are the same. I guess the big difference on the public land portions really would be the odds of pulling the tag. It keeps getting harder to pull a type #6. I believe that the ranches (private land) do almost all of their cow hunting late in the season after the bull season is over and the big herds of cows are all grazing on their grass.

aidan_downey

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, actually this is the first year the there were not any left over tags for this unit for cows. So odds of drawing an area 7 cow tag are really really good if not guaranteed. I would warn anyone though on the type 7 January tag, great tag and that late season can be good just a matter of access. I know a lot of ranchers out there that will get snowed in for a month with drifts piling up so whatever you decide just be aware that access in general can get tricky.

OP
AR hunter

AR hunter

FNG
Thanks for the input, got to talk to one of the Bioloigist out there today and he was a huge help as well so I believe we are going to be putting in for the draw for somewhere in that part of the world

wytx

WKR
Remember the Type 4 tag will take PP , if drawn 1st choice, and is a full price license. The Type 6 license is a reduced price cow tag and a random draw for it.
Type 4 license is a PP draw.

Seamaster

Lil-Rokslider
A type #4 will use points (if any are had) if it is the first choice. In are #7 last year a type #4 was a 100% draw and a type #6 was about 68%. The trade off is that a type #4 costs more, but it is a sure thing draw. I guess the deciding factor would be how much value a person places on a tag in a given year. In past years a type #6 was easier to draw in either the regular draw or the leftover draw, but unfortunately that is changing.

aidan_downey

Lil-Rokslider
Wyoming residents are not able to obtain preference points for deer elk and antelope. So the main difference between the two is price one is reduced and one is full price as stated above.

Type 6 all the way. If you are non-res and know a resident area 13, or 15 are beautiful and quite an adventure. Need a guide in the wilderness area though. That’s where the resident friend comes in. They can get a guide license for cheap and accompany you in there on yer hunt.