Wyoming Deer 2020

Calbuck

WKR
I'll be entering the Wyoming draw with 5 preference points this year. I'm researching Regions H, W and Unit 81 as potential choices. Ive read and heard various stories related to all of these areas stating the deer numbers/quality have dropped off the map..to be honest, the choice is more between H and unit 81. I am aware of the fact that it seems ALL states/areas are experiencing a decline in mule deer numbers. I'm looking at areas that offer good public access and I'm willing to put my pack on and do work. I'm an experienced hunter having taken deer/elk in multiple western states. I'll be holding out for a mature buck over say 23-24" wide but obviously looking for "the one". For anyone who has spent time in either, both or all three of these units, if you were trying to make this decision, which would you put first choice and why? I'm interested in hearing the differences in the areas of question, and pros/cons. I'm a nonresident, rifle hunter. I will have limited, if any scouting opportunities. Open to PMs..

Of the 3 I’ve only hunted H, and I would choose it again no questions asked. It’s beautiful, big country. I love the Wyoming high country. There is some wilderness in H that would be inaccessible to you without a guide, but there’s more than enough area that is not wilderness for you to spend your time in.

H doesn’t require as many points to draw as you have (pretty sure it’s 3 to draw in the reg draw now), but that would still be my choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of the 3 I’ve only hunted H, and I would choose it again no questions asked. It’s beautiful, big country. I love the Wyoming high country. There is some wilderness in H that would be inaccessible to you without a guide, but there’s more than enough area that is not wilderness for you to spend your time in.

H doesn’t require as many points to draw as you have (pretty sure it’s 3 to draw in the reg draw now), but that would still be my choice.

I’ve hunted H a few times over past 10 years and agree with the post above, but also point out that it can be really crowded with the general resident hunt. I ate a tag there after that rough snow close to ten years ago, but also have done really well. With 5 points I’d be inclined to look harder at a limited entry (or even pony up on the special) in hopes of having some elbow room. Though with point creep you may be onto the best options.

OP
Calbuck

Calbuck

WKR
With 5 points I’d be inclined to look harder at a limited entry (or even pony up on the special) in hopes of having some elbow room. Though with point creep you may be onto the best options.

Exactly my reasoning on looking into unit 81..BUT all Ive read and been told from people who have hunted region D is gloom and doom..but not specifically 81 which became LQ draw a few years ago. Thanks for the insight.

OP
Calbuck

Calbuck

WKR
Nobody else has any input on this subject? I know there are a lot of really nice bucks taken in Region H, but just can't find much info about unit 81..a lack of grizzly in 81 is a bit of a pro for me, having never hunted in a grizzly area. Anyone have thoughts?

Nobody else has any input on this subject? I know there are a lot of really nice bucks taken in Region H, but just can't find much info about unit 81..a lack of grizzly in 81 is a bit of a pro for me, having never hunted in a grizzly area. Anyone have thoughts?

calbuck I’m in the same boat as you. Tried drawing 81 with 4 points. PM if you would like to discuss more.....

Big Ern

WKR
I wouldn't waste the preference points on W. Look at the limited areas. I have hunted W a lot over the years. Decent area, but the public land can get VERY crowded. Where I have been hunting the truck and atv hunters have become out of control.

Now, if you have access to private land, well that is a different story. But, again, I wouldn't waste the pts. on this area.

I live in H, and there are segments of the herd that have been absolutely hammered the last couple of winters (2016-17, 2018-19), so it's probably not what it "once was". It still kicks out plenty of good deer, but it is probably Wyoming's worst kept secret for deer hunting. So, if you can stomach joining the ranks of resident hunters there, you should have no problem finding a place to hunt and finding a 23-24" buck. "The ones" are there, but killing them can be a challenge, and seems to be getting more difficult every year.

On the 81 side, I've been very curious about that area for some time - even kicked around using points on the Colorado side. I know there are good deer down there and it wasn't too long ago that it also had the "Platte Valley" reputation and a lot of good bucks. I think if I had 5 points as an NR and could draw a limited quota license, I might be looking to find a few less folks around. Looks like there might be ~200 folks with tags over that 2 week season.

Also - there's grizz in H, but it's not overrun. In fact, it wouldn't deter me from hunting much different than anywhere else I've hunted where they are completely absent

OP
Calbuck

Calbuck

WKR
Thanks for that info. I am really narrowing down to unit 81 or region H at this time. Limited information on 81 and a ton on H, but tough to make the call on either..

OP
Calbuck

Calbuck

WKR
BnH, that’s exactly why I’m considering 81..limited number of folks and no grizz. I’ve been reading about the herds suffering in H but that’s also the story for region D as well, so was wondering if 81 was seeing a bit of a comeback after being made limited quota.

KHNC

WKR
The one time i hunted in that 81 area, I never saw a single deer. I was elk hunting, but you would think a deer would cross our path at some point in a week of hunting. Several years ago though.

OP
Calbuck

Calbuck

WKR
The one time i hunted in that 81 area, I never saw a single deer. I was elk hunting, but you would think a deer would cross our path at some point in a week of hunting. Several years ago though.

It became a draw unit in 2013 so my thought was it may have rebounded some

That’s not surprising at all. You can hunt hunt G for elk and not see any shooter bucks. They are up on top. Not there aren’t a few down where you’d be elk hunting but few and far between.

I wouldn’t worry about grizzer bears in H. That’d be my choice especially since you don’t mind backpacking. Apply for H and go high!

BigMuleyHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have no experience in Region H, but I have hunted 81 quite a bit through the years. When they switched to limited quota the numbers and quality of deer seemed to respond immediately. 2014-2017 were some pretty good years in the Platte Valley. However, most of the units have been showing dramatically reduced numbers since 2017 and 81 has been hit the hardest. Deer numbers and buck to doe ratios hit a low this last year. I don't think they really know why the numbers are suddenly decreasing. I think I only saw 15-20 bucks from September through October this year. I quit applying for this tag personally and have moved my efforts to another area. I have high hopes that this herd will rebound in the future though.

Unless you’re doing Special draw you’ve got 5% chance to draw 81 with 5 pts. Point creep took what was a 100% unit at 4 pts last year to 100% at 6 pts this year, at least that’s according to Go Hunt draw odds which have been spot on in my experience.

zpooch

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted the unit just east of 81 this past year. Saw 1 mature buck in 8 days. There are big bucks in that area but don't expect them to be around every tree. I didn't fill the tag

RadUtah

FNG
I would prefer an H tag over an 81 tag. You are going to have crowds in H, but more deer and better deer.
You could kill a great buck in either...but 81 is not that great. Imho.