Wyoming Deer 2022

aOWENc

FNG
Hello All,

I know what you’re thinking, another one of these threads. Yes, well kind’ve😃

My brother and I went on a successful antelope trip to Wyoming last year, and are considering going again this year but this time for a deer hunt. We are running close on time to apply for tags, but we are really having trouble. The mule deer application process seems more tricky to iron out in my opinion.

We each have 1 preference point. If we apply as a group does that mean we have 2? I would be inclined to think no, but figured I would ask.

Also, we hunted around Douglas, WY last year. Beautiful country, but I would like something a little more rugged and less sage brush and oil roads. Is this possible with our low points? I was thinking about even going after a whitetail in the black hills area (General Region A), but opinions seem spotty on that in regards to success and deer numbers. We would both be thrilled to go out there and take a 120” buck, so we are not looking for giants.

If anyone has any tips, I am NOT looking for your spots, but more of an idea of terrain, and deer numbers in a given area it would be greatly appreciated. I plan to call the biologist this week and try to pick their brain.

I can also trade some information on how our antelope hunt went last year.

Thank you all in advance.

EdP

WKR
Everything you are asking is info available on the Wy G&F site. It does take some digging to find. I suggest you print the map of deer hunt areas and highlight those areas that you have a chance of drawing based on the draw odds from last year (with consideration of any quota changes). Then investigate those areas using the Hunt Planner feature. You will find info on terrain, herd health, class of bucks you can expect, public access, etc.

As far as the draw goes, when applying as a "Party" the party draws based on the average of the member points. So, you will draw as 1 point.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Nah, this thread doesn’t have the markers of “...one of those threads.”

You’re missing the word “honey hole”, you have more than 1 post, have actually been in the area (besides a summer family vacation back in ’02), you’re offering to help others with info, the application deadline isn’t today, and you‘re calling the biologist. lol

anyway, that call to the bio is probably a good first step, and you need to do it now if you want to make contact as they’ll get more calls the closer we get to May 31 deadline. Some regions were mentioned above so start by checking the Wy website for good draw odds with 1 point avg, then call those bios.

There’s only two regions in Wy that take many points and 1 point avg could get you hunting this year in a lot of places.

Then get your optics game on, start flingin lead (or copper if that suits you) and some conditioning. It’s a good life…

OP
aOWENc

aOWENc

FNG

You’re missing the word “honey hole”, you have more than 1 post, have actually been in the area (besides a summer family vacation back in ’02), you’re offering to help others with info, the application deadline isn’t today, and you‘re calling the biologist. lol

anyway, that call to the bio is probably a good first step, and you need to do it now if you want to make contact as they’ll get more calls the closer we get to May 31 deadline. Some regions were mentioned above so start by checking the Wy website for good draw odds with 1 point avg, then call those bios.

There’s only two regions in Wy that take many points and 1 point avg could get you hunting this year in a lot of places.

Then get your optics game on, start flingin lead (or copper if that suits you) and some conditioning. It’s a good life…
Awesome, glad it didn’t come across that way. I appreciate the reply and all of the tips. It sounds like you would lean more towards a general tag than a low point unit?

Awesome, glad it didn’t come across that way. I appreciate the reply and all of the tips. It sounds like you would lean more towards a general tag than a low point unit?
You'll have to draw a "general" hunt in Wyoming as a non-resident, but it will be for a specific region of the state. As Robby mentioned, you'll have nearly the whole state to pick from with some assurity of drawing with a point.

I think with your expectations you will have a great hunt. The Wyoming hunt planner is a good tool as well once you start looking at specific units and need a little more information. There are quite a few of the general units that should fit the bill. Make sure to find the proposed tag numbers for this year (sorry don’t have a link) because fluctuating tag numbers can mean the difference between drawing your tag and not. Also research units that can be drawn as a second choice; you gain a preference point and still get to go hunting if plan A doesn’t work out!

EdP

WKR
You no longer automatically "gain a preference point" if you don't get drawn for your first choice for deer, you must purchase one in the pp purchase period that opens July 1.

Hoff

FNG

Classy reply. Sets the tone of a great forum.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
You no longer automatically "gain a preference point" if you don't get drawn for your first choice for deer, you must purchase one in the pp purchase period that opens July 1.
Which is weird, but is the way they do it.