Wyoming deer/antelope combo?

TodOz

FNG
I'm planning a DIY 2023 trip to Wyoming for mule deer and antelope. I'll be going with a buddy who doesn't have as many points but our combined points /2 will be 6 pts for deer and 6.5 pts for antelope.

We're planning for a 2 week trip so my first question/concern is whether we should even be trying to do both. I've done it successfully before in units with 0 points but I'd like to focus on quality mature animals since I'm burning my points and will be in better units. We both agreed that mule deer is our primary target for this trip. I was hoping we could line it up so we could spend 2-3 days for antelope and then move on to mule deer. As I started the research to look at units, I was hoping to hunt in the same general area for both antelope and deer to minimize travel time. That really limited options so I've moved on from that idea. The next focus was find season dates that overlap. That also limited options but not terribly bad.

Anyhow, I ended up narrowing the deer options down to H and a few specific units with either 1 October or 15 October start dates.
I'm seeing several antelope units with seasons that start as early as 10 September and run through either mid October or the end of October.

So my questions are these.....
  1. Only focus on mule deer with 2 weeks or try to do both?
  2. Pick a general unit (H) for deer or a specific unit?

Feel free to PM if you have specific thoughts on units and would rather not post. I've been looking at options based on data from Toprut and HuntnFool.

Thanks in advance.

FlareBlitz91

Lil-Rokslider
I can’t speak to units etc. but I’m trying to do something similar this year with less points, probably split between Montana and Wyoming though.

My 2 cents are that if you want to prioritize mature muley bucks than do that first. I don’t think I’d have fun on the antelope hunt with that monkey on my back, it’d feel like something to be rushed. That is unless the season for antelope is open and your deer unit isn’t…lots of variables if you don’t know where you’re going yet. I still think those 2-3 days would be better spent scouting your mule deer hunt.

Get that muley bucks on ice then have whatever time left to chase pronghorn on the way home.

Glass for muleys early and late and chase antelope mid day. It can be done. With two weeks to hunt I think you could do both. I would hunt the deer first. When you get wore out the antelope days will feel like a day off.

OP
TodOz

TodOz

FNG
I noticed antelope unit 87 falls in the region H deer area. Can't seem to find much on it. Anyone know if that unit is any good?

OP
TodOz

TodOz

FNG
toprut shows 57% with 6 pts. I'll have 6.5 pts but who knows what it will really take next year. The numbers seem to go up every year.

We do a combo hunt like this when we hunt Wyoming and its not my favorite thing to do but its what the other guys in my group like to do. Personally I dont like having to split time between the two, I dont feel like I give the mule deer the attention it deserves. The only way I would do it in your shoes with 2 weeks to hunt is get there 5-6 days before the deer season starts, get your antelope killed and then have a couple of days do scout your deer unit. If you can swing it, I think your better off hunting either muleys or antelope this year and then hunt the other one next year.

OP
TodOz

TodOz

FNG
Thanks for the inputs. Might hold off on deciding whether to do antelope since I have a year. On a separate note, for anyone that has hunted H - do you see a lot of bears? Seems like it might be a good idea to grab a bear tag just in case?

H

Huntkook

I noticed antelope unit 87 falls in the region H deer area. Can't seem to find much on it. Anyone know if that unit is any good?
Did you look at the Wyoming fish and game website? It should give you an idea in their harvest reports.

wweaver

FNG
Any 6pt Pronghorn unit you can do in half a day. I would do one deer and one pronghorn tag ( one guy does deer one pronghorn ) and then swap and do the same thing next year. Do H. Get in shape and backpack in. Get on the Wyoming hunt planner. Everything you need to know is there. Do homework.

OP
TodOz

TodOz

FNG
Did you look at the Wyoming fish and game website? It should give you an idea in their harvest reports.
Yes, I've looked at success rates etc. but that doesn't always give the best indication of the hunt quality. Always good to hear from folks who have had boots on the ground.

OP
TodOz

TodOz

FNG
We punted on burning points due to the winter kill. Ended up drawing region J as 2nd choice and bought archery permits. Buddy harvested a nice mule deer buck. I got a shot at a whitetail buck but didn’t get him. Was a good experience but super difficult to find deer there. I did get a turkey with my bow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We punted on burning points due to the winter kill. Ended up drawing region J as 2nd choice and bought archery permits. Buddy harvested a nice mule deer buck. I got a shot at a whitetail buck but didn’t get him. Was a good experience but super difficult to find deer there. I did get a turkey with my bow.

And being second choice you didn't burn anything? Also I was under the impression the general tag was good for archery and rifle. Not the case? I'm an FNG.

bergie

Lil-Rokslider
Any 6pt Pronghorn unit you can do in half a day. I would do one deer and one pronghorn tag ( one guy does deer one pronghorn ) and then swap and do the same thing next year. Do H. Get in shape and backpack in. Get on the Wyoming hunt planner. Everything you need to know is there. Do homework.
I am in the same boat as the OP. While I would like to focus on one or the other the drive to hunt half a day would make me lean toward getting the deer and antelope tag together. I've spot and stalk killed some low 60s pronghorn in Idaho with my bow so going to Wyoming would be with the intent on finding a buck at minimum in the low 70s. What size goat are we talking can be found in half a day? A 60" buck or a 75"+ buck? I am speaking in general I know giants can be found first morning but I gotta believe they don't live behind every piece of sage in Wyoming cuz they sure dont here in Idaho.

OP
TodOz

TodOz

FNG
And being second choice you didn't burn anything? Also I was under the impression the general tag was good for archery and rifle. Not the case? I'm an FNG.

Correct. 2nd choice doesn’t burn points. Most draw tags are good for archery but you have to buy the archery permit after you draw.