Wyoming Deer Non-Resident General D Tag

tacoma96

FNG
I drew a non resident general deer tag for unit D and my question was can I hire a local to go into the wilderness areas? Is i worth trying to find someone that didn't draw a tag that would be willing to guide me? I've yet to kill a mule deer and to be honest reading books and forums seem to only get a whitetail hunter from Missouri so far. We spend hours waiting in a tree stand when the western guys are really hunting. Don't get me wrong we spend time scouting to find a nice buck but we cant spot and stalk where I live.

I drew a non resident general deer tag for unit D and my question was can I hire a local to go into the wilderness areas? Is i worth trying to find someone that didn't draw a tag that would be willing to guide me? I've yet to kill a mule deer and to be honest reading books and forums seem to only get a whitetail hunter from Missouri so far. We spend hours waiting in a tree stand when the western guys are really hunting. Don't get me wrong we spend time scouting to find a nice buck but we cant spot and stalk where I live.
The short answer I'd give on this is no. Don't hire a guide just for wilderness. I don't actually think there are any there. The Savage Run and Platte River are both on the other side of the boundary in the Snowy Range.

Anyway, I would hire a guide if you were able to swing the cash. It'd be a better experience and you'd learn a lot about how to hunt mule deer from them. Residents hunt there over-the-counter, so if they didn't draw a tag and live in Laramie-ish to Casper-ish area, many of them hunt those D units.