Wyoming DIY Spring Bear Hunt Ideas

VenaticOppidan

Lil-Rokslider
So, I want to do a Spring black bear spot and stalk hunt. There were a few articles on a few different states that had good opportunities including Idaho, Montana, Arizona, Wyoming, and Oregon.

I honed in on Wyoming, as I have been accumulating points to do an archery elk hunt there, and I was thinking I may be able to kill 2 birds with one stone. What I mean is that it would be great to be able to do a spring bear hunt in a region that i should be able to draw the following year with my elk points. This would allow me to spend a week getting acclimated to the area and scouting.

An area I am very interested in is Unit 4 for bear, which correlated to Unit 37 for elk. It seems to have a decent amount of spring bears killed, no grizzlies, plenty of public access, and runs on the quota system. Has anyone explored or hunted this area? Nothing set in stone and I am doing a lot of E Scouting, but im thinking I am going to try to put together a 5-6 day trip for late may. Any input would be appreciated.

Ryan_otto

FNG
That’s a great idea I’m looking into the same thing. I’m building points in wy too. I think a spot and stalk in Idaho would be great too

Elkhntr08

WKR
Same strategy here.
I did hunt spring bear and fall elk and bear last year. Struck out on bear, but had a good time.

Research areas with good bear populations. I did some digging and found an area that should be a good complement to my hunts in ID when I want a second tag. People don’t really focus on spring bear in WY, especially nonresidents.

ShaneWey

FNG
Make sure those high bear population areas have very recent numbers. I went in to one (it was fall) where water was greatly affected by wild fires. Didn't see any sign or bears. Biologist later said the numbers will likely show a big drop. Just food for thought

OP
VenaticOppidan

VenaticOppidan

Lil-Rokslider
Make sure those high bear population areas have very recent numbers. I went in to one (it was fall) where water was greatly affected by wild fires. Didn't see any sign or bears. Biologist later said the numbers will likely show a big drop. Just food for thought
good tip. I am still fleshing out to the details of destination. Still leaning towards Wyoming, with Idaho being in second

Never hunted bear in Wyoming, could be a blast with not a lot of hunters looking into bear hunting in WY compared to Idaho or Montana.

mhabiger

FNG
I bounced around 14 and 15 last Spring and was in the South tip of 4 in the fall during an elk hunt. I was probably 1.5 weeks early on 14 and 15. There was still a good bit of snow and not a ton of green around the 3rd week of May. My initial plan was to get into unit 16 but it was pretty much impossible from the South due to snow pack. Didn't see any bear over the 4 days I hunted but did see a ton of elk, deer and moose. Watch the snow pack charts and probably give yourself a week buffer if you can.

Unit 4 looked good and I ran across bear scat during my elk hunt. I'd have stuck around and tried to fill my tag if the quota hadn't already been met.