Wyoming Draw explained

BigHink66

FNG
Can or would anyone point me to some sort of summary on the Wyoming Mule Deer draw?

I have 3 points, and am trying to decide where to apply them for a rifle hunt. I cannot figure out the whole region vs hunt area and the "special" draw. It was mentioned I may be able to draw a tag with my 3 points in the special draw that I may not otherwise. Then when trying to research, I see people talking about specific hunt areas within the regions. Do you apply to the region, or to a specific hunt area with a number designation.

What kind of areas can I expect to draw with 3 points in the "special" draw?

Also, do certain areas start earlier than others? I saw some dates in the September. That seemed like a good time to go.

The regular vs special draw is a matter of the special draw costing more money that hopefully will buy you better draw odds. How much better your odds will be in the special vs the regular will fluctuate from year to year depending on how many applicants put in for each; i.e. your odds could be significantly better if there’s a low number that put in for the special, or they could only be marginally better if a higher percentage of applicants put in for the special draw. It’s not the same ‘increase’ in draw odds from one year to the next. It can and does vary.

In terms of regions and specific units, regions would be H, G and K for example (there’s more) that encompass several individual units and if you draw the region tag you can hunt in any of the units that make up the region. If you draw a specific unit you can obviously only hunt that unit.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

BigHink66

FNG
That does help, and thank you.

Are your odds better by applying for a specific unit vs a region? Without having it narrowed to an actual unit my first time, I would think I would be better off with a "region" tag. But if its considerably harder to draw....

In terms of regions and specific units, regions would be H, G and K for example (there’s more) that encompass several individual units and if you draw the region tag you can hunt in any of the units that make up the region. If you draw a specific unit you can obviously only hunt that unit.

......if you draw the region tag you can hunt in any of the GENERAL SEASON units that make up the region. If you draw a specific unit you can obviously only hunt that unit.

Just a minor clarification on the Region concept.

ClearCreek

......if you draw the region tag you can hunt in any of the GENERAL SEASON units that make up the region. If you draw a specific unit you can obviously only hunt that unit.

Just a minor clarification on the Region concept.

ClearCreek

Very good point. That’s what I was trying to convey, but could have worded it differently to be more clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk