Wyoming Draw Questions

Traindriver

Lil-Rokslider
Could someone help clarify a question for me? Im trying to understand if the Application produces a preference point? Ive never applied in Wyoming and was just trying to start building points. I see there is a separate time to buy a preference point. But.... After reading the Wy website it says there is a certain percentage of tags that are allotted in each unit for no point requirement.

Basically my question is Do I get a point if I'm unsuccessful in the draw or do I have to buy A point at a later time?

Thank you for the help

jbwright

WKR
Buy a point during the Non resident preference point "season" which I believe opens 7/1/22 - you don't get a point if unsuccessful in the draw
Certain units you can draw a license for that do not require preference points...but do your research on those units as certain challenges could arise (e.g. the unit offers NR licenses for those with 0 pts but there's basically ONLY private land) - again, that's just an example. Tons of good vids out there to help you get to know the process. I'll be on RS later today and I"ll try to find a vid from the fellas at GoHunt that explains this process pretty well, at a high level. Definitely gotta get into the regs to figure it out too...

FlareBlitz91

Lil-Rokslider
Just buy points in July if that’s what you want to do.

What you’re talking about is the Random Draw and you can see the last stats on the website, it’s pretty low odds if there are tags for that area at all….

If you want to build a point and potentially hunt this year check the leftover draw but i highly doubt there will be any mule deer tags leftover this year.

You are asking two different questions in one. Your first question if I have it right is do you get a point if you apply and don’t draw. The answer is no. It used to work that way but not anymore. Now you buy them from July 1 to October 30 online. You cannot buy a point if you draw a license that year.

Your other question is about licenses set aside for hunters with no points. That answer is yes. That would be the Random drawing. They set aside 25% of the licenses for that. You don’t apply for the random though, you just apply for a license like everyone else. All applicants who are unsuccessful are automatically entered in the random. Everyone has an equal chance of drawing since it’s not based on points. I hope that helps.

OP
Traindriver

Traindriver

Lil-Rokslider
You are asking two different questions in one. Your first question if I have it right is do you get a point if you apply and don’t draw. The answer is no. It used to work that way but not anymore. Now you buy them from July 1 to October 30 online. You cannot buy a point if you draw a license that year.

Your other question is about licenses set aside for hunters with no points. That answer is yes. That would be the Random drawing. They set aside 25% of the licenses for that. You don’t apply for the random though, you just apply for a license like everyone else. All applicants who are unsuccessful are automatically entered in the random. Everyone has an equal chance of drawing since it’s not based on points. I hope that helps.
Yes, thank you!

I had read the website prior to this post, but for some reason it didn’t seem to clear to me.

Thank you