Wyoming Draw - Quick Question

Hey guys,

This is my first year applying for a tag in Wyoming. I have a couple points but don't want to burn them as I'm applying for a type 2 tag. I figured I would just put in my second choice for the tag but it's requiring me to put something in my first choice. Does anybody know how to work around that?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

pirogue

WKR
Unlike some states, they don’t look at your second choice until all applicant’s first choice has been considered.

NEWHunter

Lil-Rokslider
A unit with no tags available in the random draw would be impossible to draw in that portion of the draw. You’d probably also want to make sure it takes several points to pull so that you don’t burn your points and end up with a unit you don’t want. Or as others have kind of said, just put down area 60 for a 1st choice. Less than 1% chance you’ll draw that unit.

OP
coloyooper
A unit with no tags available in the random draw would be impossible to draw in that portion of the draw. You’d probably also want to make sure it takes several points to pull so that you don’t burn your points and end up with a unit you don’t want. Or as others have kind of said, just put down area 60 for a 1st choice. Less than 1% chance you’ll draw that unit.
That's the exact unit I put in for. Crazier things have happened!

Great question OP! (y)

Having just gone through trying to process all the key WY antelope draw submission variables... your question will help a lot of people looking for WY insight.

I screwed up and unnecessarily blew my 1 pref point cuz I wasn't clear about protecting the point. :confused:

So if you put in for a tag that is 100% success with no points it will burn all of my points?
If it is 100% success this year...yes..those odds are based off last years draw. I have never saved points for antelope I get a pp every year but I end up using it. Antelope are too much fun to hunt and too good to eat.

Last edited:

Carr5vols

WKR
Should have read better on there website. Worst part is we paid for the higher $ tag on top of that just to ensure we drew a tag. Have to hunt twice as hard now.

Bryan B

FNG
is there a way to sell the tag back to wyoming to keep our points?

Not that I am aware of. I recall reading somewhere a few years ago the only way to have a tag refunded in WY is if you have a medical reason you can't hunt and that would need to be verified by a doctor with some kind of documentation.

waldo9190

Lil-Rokslider
is there a way to sell the tag back to wyoming to keep our points?

From what I understand they have an advisory board that reviews these requests, but you TRULY have to have a legitimate circumstance that would prevent you from hunting, and even then it is not a guarantee.

Chalk this one up as a learning experience.

bdan68

WKR
Just because a particular license was 100% odds as your first choice doesn't mean you would also have 100% chance as a second choice. So using points isn't necessarily a waste of your points. If you want to hunt you often need to use whatever points you have, unless you would rather draw an area as a second choice that has almost zero public access.