Wyoming Draw Results

Rich M

WKR
You already can. The draw report was posted yesterday morning.
Excellent - thanks!

3x as many guys applied for "my unit" as did last year. Points went from 2 to 4.

And only 1/3 of the tags were available as compared to last year.

TrueAt1stLight

Lil-Rokslider
I drew two does tags in 23 and my hunting partner drew one in 22. Also a whitetail doe tag and a turkey. Hoping to see a whitetail fighting with a turkey in area 23 as that’s about as likely as I am to seeing either…

I’m happy though as last year we hunted both 22 and 23 and all tagged out, even dealing with navigating the bullshit posted county roads after traveling down one for 10+ miles only to have to turn back. I am going to reach out to the Sheriff and Game Warden in that area to better understand trespass laws and regs and it seemed odd at the time to run into a county road being posted. In doing so, many of these property owners were holding several thousand acres of BLM hostage. I’m guessing this is not at all specific to WY, but it made me want to double down on how to get into that land. We even talked about floating the river to get in.

Either way we’re going to have a fun hunt and plan to set up a base camp then hike several miles in to find the goats. No “glass from the car and unass to shoot” for us!

I’m not trying to be an ass here, but I would say Wyoming is pretty easy to predict point creep. They publish all the data going back several years on how many applied at what point level, and they publish the tag allocation numbers prior to the draw. It’s not as easy to find the info but it’s there.

This year we added a slam dunk draw second choice deer unit when our preferred unit had tag cuts. Would rather be hunting a crap unit than not hunting at all. Drew second choice unit as predicted.

We changed antelope units to a unit with more tags (less variability year to year on odds) that did not get severe cuts after the winter kill last year. This unit had little to no point creep.

We did the math on antlerless draws and pulled some of those too.

I use Gohunt for some things but it never captures the factors that will affect major point creep year to year like tag cuts.

Fordguy

WKR
Didn't apply for an any antelope tag this year, but decided to shoot for the moon and apply for low odds doe/fawn tags and use them to scout a new unit and still hunt a little. Less than 10% odds and I drew 2 doe/fawn tags. I'm never this lucky, I'll probably pay for it somewhere down the road.

OXN939

WKR
I’m not trying to be an ass here, but I would say Wyoming is pretty easy to predict point creep.

This used to be true. The antelope unit I applied for added 25% to the number of allocated tags, and still went from being a 100% draw at 3 points last year to needing 5 this year.

This used to be true. The antelope unit I applied for added 25% to the number of allocated tags, and still went from being a 100% draw at 3 points last year to needing 5 this year.
How many tags? Low tag number unit?seems like those can swing a bit more. That does suck.

OXN939

WKR
Low tag number unit?seems like those can swing a bit more. That does suck.

About average number of tags. Researched all the metrics thoroughly, gave a wide margin for point creep, still unsuccessful. Also hosed on my second choice unit, which I drew that way in '19. Things are very definitely changing out there.

About average number of tags. Researched all the metrics thoroughly, gave a wide margin for point creep, still unsuccessful. Also hosed on my second choice unit, which I drew that way in '19. Things are very definitely changing out there.
Bummer. Maybe it got blown up in a magazine or online? Either way that sucks.

This is another factor of tags cuts. Lots of people see their chosen units lose tags so they jump ship to another unit that didn’t have tag cuts hoping to increase their odds when most the time it only increases applicants thus decreasing odds.
Also I think a lot of people are fearful of the WY 90/10 split and are burning their points this year.

OXN939

WKR
Lots of people see their chosen units lose tags so they jump ship to another unit that didn’t have tag cuts hoping to increase their odds when most the time it only increases applicants thus decreasing odds.

Spot on. This and the 90/10 panic are exactly what I'm guessing happened.

It's tempting to think that there could be a silver lining in the form of a correction back to sane levels after how many points got burned this year... but I dunno. I think there are a ton of people, like me, who never drew and still have a bunch of points in the bank.

John pettimore

Lil-Rokslider
I live in WY now but am a non resident since I have been here less than 12 months. It sure helps living here and being able to scout access but I drew a buck tag and doe tag, with zero points, in a unit with limited access. Also drew a region deer tag and whitetail doe tag with one preference point in a pretty decent area.

There are tags to be had, and I understand I have a luxury many don’t, but you have to choose wisely.

I got my buck tag and will be going on my first hunt out West. Drew my second choice so I didn’t burn the 2 points I had.