Wyoming Elk 2022 Outfitter Suggestions

Eagle

WKR
Long story short, after living in CO for 2.5 years, the wife said enough and we are now back East of the Mississippi in Western KY. With that, I've pretty well determined that my best chances for success going forward are likely to be going on outfitted hunts for the foreseeable future with a busy job and two kids under the age of 7 at the house.

We are currently building our home in KY, so a hunt in the fall of 21, outside of a DIY lope hunt in WY with some friends is off the table. Going into the 2022 application season I'll have 10 points for Elk in Wyoming, and looking over my options, they appear somewhat limited, unless I decide to burn several of those points. What I'm looking for is the classic western outfitted elk hunt, horses, wall tents, mountains etc, with a good chance at a trophy (340+) bull. I'm not adverse to grizzlies, but it looks like other than general tags, the LE areas around Yellowstone, outside of 51, require well more than the 10 points I'll have. I'd be happy to hunt 51 if any one has any outfitters they'd suggest or trust. The next best bet appears to be the Bighorns based units which I should be able to draw without issue, or possibly unit 91 in the Wyoming range.

So essentially, I'm open to any suggestions on outfitters in WY that hunt units that can be drawn with 10 points and offer the classic outfitted elk hunt in the mountains. Weapon's wise, I'll go either bow or rifle, would prefer to hunt in the rut if possible, so most likely outcome will be bow, though I know of a few LE units where rifle season coincides with the last part of the rut.

Laramie

WKR
If you decide your willing to do a ranch style hunt, let me know. I'm not affiliated with the outfitter but I do like the guy. He has a slam dunk hunt for mature 6x6s with a very realistic chance at something 350"+. Typical day you will see 20-30 bulls. To draw you would need most of your 10 points. Not area 7...

Phil Rutt... Triple Three Outfitters. Ranch hunts near Kaycee and mountain hunts from wall tents up in the Bighorns.

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
...Going into the 2022 application season I'll have 10 points for Elk in Wyoming, and looking over my options, they appear somewhat limited, unless I decide to burn several of those points....

So the way you wrote that last phrase implies that you only lose the exact amount of points it takes to draw? I thought if you drew a tag you lose all points?

To your question, the wilderness experience hunts I have found, 1 guy out of the group of 6 in camp might get a 340.....will you be that guy? If you really want to capitalize on the points and kill a big bull, I'd go for a ranch hunt and get that out of the way. Then do a wilderness hunt a couple years later and enjoy the experience...

Here is one to check out:

OP
Eagle

Eagle

WKR
So the way you wrote that last phrase implies that you only lose the exact amount of points it takes to draw? I thought if you drew a tag you lose all points?

To your question, the wilderness experience hunts I have found, 1 guy out of the group of 6 in camp might get a 340.....will you be that guy? If you really want to capitalize on the points and kill a big bull, I'd go for a ranch hunt and get that out of the way. Then do a wilderness hunt a couple years later and enjoy the experience...

Here is one to check out:

You are correct, if you have 10 points, but apply for a general tag that takes 2, you just wasted 8 points, 400 dollars, or 8 years depending on how you want to look at it.

Fair point on the likelihood of killing a 340+ on a wilderness hunt, and I guess that's a chance I'd be ok with taking, if it was in the right area/unit.

One of the downsides of living where I do now, compared to where I did though, diy just isn't real appealing with my past experiences and seeing up close how crowded the backcountry is getting in many areas. I have experience as a wrangler, worked in Yellowstone for a summer doing that, and I have extensive backpacking experience, and I've killed a respectable mule deer in WY during a diy trip. All that said, you just can't seem to get away from other people anymore, and I think, quite possibly naively, that a pack in hunt with an outfitter might be one of the last good ways to get away from others, at least for elk in the wilderness of WY.

You can get away from other hunters in lots of places including general license areas. You’d be surprised.

I agree that if a 340 inch bull is your goal I’d hunt a ranch. Triple Three can produce bulls to 380. Use your points to go get it done and then go back to general units and get down to every year business. Quit banking points and learn an area. You might have to settle for 320 or so though. :p

OP
Eagle

Eagle

WKR
You can get away from other hunters in lots of places including general license areas. You’d be surprised.

I agree that if a 340 inch bull is your goal I’d hunt a ranch. Triple Three can produce bulls to 380. Use your points to go get it done and then go back to general units and get down to every year business. Quit banking points and learn an area. You might have to settle for 320 or so though. :p

You all are making too much sense, haha.

As for being able to get away, maybe you still can in WY, CO is a different story, at least in the OTC units I've hunted over the last 4 years.

grossklw

Lil-Rokslider
WY GEN and CO OTC aren't on the same planet in terms of quality of hunt. I'd probably do what you're doing now but likely wouldn't be going outfitted, but understand why you'd want to. After that I'd only accrue enough for the general everytime and go hunt. I've seen plenty of 300+ bulls on a general tag and have seen several in that 340+ range. Good luck in your hunt to find a decent outfitter, you've got plenty of time so hopefully you can find a good ranch hunt somewhere.

taz_gerstman

Lil-Rokslider
good morning. so I wanted to piggy back off of this guys overall thread since we are talking Wyoming, points and outfitters. I to am collecting points for elk and mule deer in Wyoming but I play on going back there to hunt within the year or so. I live in Alabama and I also share the same desire for using outfitters even though I don't have the same responsibilities as Eagle does. So in high point units, and this may sound like a dumb question but do you have to have that many points or does Wyoming have tags in place that cost a bit more that can get you into those areas? What if say you applied as a group and one guy like eagle had 10 points and say I had like 4 points do they add those pools together so that we can draw for the harder tags? I ask because I just really don't know. thanks

Laramie

WKR
good morning. so I wanted to piggy back off of this guys overall thread since we are talking Wyoming, points and outfitters. I to am collecting points for elk and mule deer in Wyoming but I play on going back there to hunt within the year or so. I live in Alabama and I also share the same desire for using outfitters even though I don't have the same responsibilities as Eagle does. So in high point units, and this may sound like a dumb question but do you have to have that many points or does Wyoming have tags in place that cost a bit more that can get you into those areas? What if say you applied as a group and one guy like eagle had 10 points and say I had like 4 points do they add those pools together so that we can draw for the harder tags? I ask because I just really don't know. thanks

The above link will help you. Wyoming does have a "special" permit that is higher cost. It typically can get you into to areas for a point or two less than the regular draw. However, that isn't guaranteed and occasionally it takes more points in the special draw because a lot of people apply with that thought in mind. You can average points. If I have 8 and a buddy applies with me with zero, we go into the drawing with 4 points. Hope this helps.

wytx

WKR
I would sure do that back country hunt and not a ranch hunt for a big bull. Plenty of areas you can get it done but remember it's a hunt not a kill, no guarantee.
How do grizz fit into your plans ?

OP
Eagle

Eagle

WKR
I would sure do that back country hunt and not a ranch hunt for a big bull. Plenty of areas you can get it done but remember it's a hunt not a kill, no guarantee.
How do grizz fit into your plans ?

Not worried about Grizz, I've backpacked well over 40 days in the beartooths and in yellowstone, and know what precautions to take. I know a rifle going off can be a dinner bell for them, but I would trust the outfitters to know the best way to move forward.

OP
Eagle

Eagle

WKR
WY GEN and CO OTC aren't on the same planet in terms of quality of hunt. I'd probably do what you're doing now but likely wouldn't be going outfitted, but understand why you'd want to. After that I'd only accrue enough for the general everytime and go hunt. I've seen plenty of 300+ bulls on a general tag and have seen several in that 340+ range. Good luck in your hunt to find a decent outfitter, you've got plenty of time so hopefully you can find a good ranch hunt somewhere.

I fully understand that the WY general is a lot less crowded than OTC CO, and I do plan on doing WY general once this hunt is done and my points are burned. I'm just kind of in that middle ground where I can't draw most of the really sought after areas, but can draw most of the lesser units with ease.

As of now, the bighorns are looking like the only real option for me, unless 51 doesn't experience creep, but I'm betting it will.

And thanks for all the ranch hunt suggestions, but so far, most of them have been in units that are out of reach for my point total, and that's not the experience I'm looking to have.

Last edited:
I am also looking for an outfitter for 2021-Archery
i have 4 points,
anyone recommend a good outfitter with openings
contacted triple three-booked 6 years out

OP
Eagle

Eagle

WKR
I am also looking for an outfitter for 2021-Archery
i have 4 points,
anyone recommend a good outfitter with openings
contacted triple three-booked 6 years out

For strictly archery, your likely going to be waiting for a while if you want to go outfitted. Even in the general units south of the park, archery is booked a lot further out than rifle. You could possibly draw a type 9 tag for 51 in the special and talk to K-Z Guest Ranch. I'm considering going with them as well, just not sure as I'll be burning a few points for the type 9 and won't be 100% to draw the type 1.

Coltsp100

FNG
Long story short, after living in CO for 2.5 years, the wife said enough and we are now back East of the Mississippi in Western KY. With that, I've pretty well determined that my best chances for success going forward are likely to be going on outfitted hunts for the foreseeable future with a busy job and two kids under the age of 7 at the house.

We are currently building our home in KY, so a hunt in the fall of 21, outside of a DIY lope hunt in WY with some friends is off the table. Going into the 2022 application season I'll have 10 points for Elk in Wyoming, and looking over my options, they appear somewhat limited, unless I decide to burn several of those points. What I'm looking for is the classic western outfitted elk hunt, horses, wall tents, mountains etc, with a good chance at a trophy (340+) bull. I'm not adverse to grizzlies, but it looks like other than general tags, the LE areas around Yellowstone, outside of 51, require well more than the 10 points I'll have. I'd be happy to hunt 51 if any one has any outfitters they'd suggest or trust. The next best bet appears to be the Bighorns based units which I should be able to draw without issue, or possibly unit 91 in the Wyoming range.

So essentially, I'm open to any suggestions on outfitters in WY that hunt units that can be drawn with 10 points and offer the classic outfitted elk hunt in the mountains. Weapon's wise, I'll go either bow or rifle, would prefer to hunt in the rut if possible, so most likely outcome will be bow, though I know of a few LE units where rifle season coincides with the last part of the rut.
But up non typical outfitters, they have some
Great elk hunting. They are located in G so it’s only 3 points for elk, they are great guys

In the special draw I believe u could draw area 61 type 1 wilderness hunt. Lots of bulls, big bulls, backcountry. An awesome hunt. Call Josh martoglio at shoshone lodge outfitters.