Wyoming ELK 61

crumy

WKR
If everything goes good I am planning on heading into Unit 61 along the Grey Bull. Will be in the wilderness area and was wondering if anyone had any experience they would be willing to share. I have google earthed it to death and plan on taking a trip up there in June if I draw. The plan is to go in deep and stay 7-10 days. Actually the plan is to go in and fill the tag on day 2 but we all know how that goes.

Thanks for any info.

Jim

huntwest

Lil-Rokslider
I would take a couple out of staters. They would work great as a couple pack mules. I know a couple who are weak in the mind, but strong in the back. If things get slow you could always put some bacon bits in their back pockets, and watch the bears have fun. Sorry I'm no help on the unit but good luck.

Jordan guyer

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted this area last year. Watch out for the bears they are super thick in there. Are you taking horses or backpacking in?

OP
crumy

crumy

WKR
The plan is to backpack in. I don't know enough about horses where I would feel comfortable taking them in.

I hunted this area last year. Watch out for the bears they are super thick in there. Are you taking horses or backpacking in?

tstowater

WKR

I might be a wimp, but this is one of the reasons that I steered clear of this area. Personally, I'm really not into camping with bears, but I'm sure we have had them in camp in B.C.. Historically, has been a very good unit and should be really pretty. Good luck with your hunt if you go ahead and draw it.

OP
crumy

crumy

WKR
I will be sure to report back in if I get and what scouting I did. I know there are bears but if i draw I am going to take a friend who has some experience in yogi country and hopefully that keeps me out if trouble and I learn a few things. I found 3 guys who rifle hunted there last year and the had really good success. I am hoping to get it done with a bow so it will be interesting. I know from google earth it looks pretty open in the mountains so that may make it tough to stick one.

huntwest

Lil-Rokslider
A non-resident needs a guide or a wyoming resident to hunt in a wilderness area.

OP
crumy

crumy

WKR
As states above A nonresident cannot hunt in a designated wilderness area without a guide. A guide is either a licensed outfitter or a resident that is willing to take you in. As a resident I have taken a nonresident friend in before. To be legal I must go to game and fish and register as a "resident guide". I have to have my friends license number and they give me a piece of paper documenting the transaction that I have to carry in the field. There is no charge only paperwork.

OP
crumy

crumy

WKR
For some reason the people with tv shows always seem to omit that little piece of regulation. Just my opinion but: It is either because they don't think many people have access or they don't want to upset the outfitters.

Crumy thanks for the answer I didn't know that was an option

For some reason the people with tv shows always seem to omit that little piece of regulation. Just my opinion but: It is either because they don't think many people have access or they don't want to upset the outfitters.
So this is the better part of a decade later, but 1) did you draw the tag, and 2) were you attacked by any bears?