Wyoming Elk 80

SouthPaw3

FNG
I’ve looked around for a while and haven’t been able to find any information on this but sorry if it’s been brought up before. I’m looking to do my first western big game hunt and with limited options left I’ve looked into elk area 80 in Wyoming for cow elk. I’m from Michigan so it isn’t easy for me to go out and look at the area myself so I’ve been relying on onxmaps a lot for this. I was wondering if anyone had any information they’d like to share about this area regarding terrain in the amount of space outside of the wilderness area?

Laramie

WKR
Just curious, why area 80 if you are coming from Michigan? There are closer areas that provide a lot more land for a non-resident.

OP
S

SouthPaw3

FNG
Just curious, why area 80 if you are coming from Michigan? There are closer areas that provide a lot more land for a non-resident.
I just recently figured out that I will be able to make a trip west for a hunt this fall and just noticed area 80 was one of the very few areas that had cow elk tags still available for public land. Along with the tag availability, I wanted to stay out of more plains areas and getting into the mountains more.

Laramie

WKR
I understand. Yes, there is some ground to hunt between the refuge and the wilderness. I believe your best chance at filling the tag is during the later season. A good percentage of the elk will be in the wilderness during the October hunt. I haven't hunted it myself. Your best avenue to get information is to call game wardens and biologists in the area. I would start with the Jackson office. Good luck

OP
S

SouthPaw3

FNG
I understand. Yes, there is some ground to hunt between the refuge and the wilderness. I believe your best chance at filling the tag is during the later season. A good percentage of the elk will be in the wilderness during the October hunt. I haven't hunted it myself. Your best avenue to get information is to call game wardens and biologists in the area. I would start with the Jackson office. Good luck
Perfect thank you for your help!

bowhunter307

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted this area and the refuge the second week of November last year. There weren't enough big storms up in the Thorofare that fall to push the elk out of Yellowstone and the wilderness area down to the refuge. My advice would be to hunt the northern most edge of the area and try to catch the early movers coming down. Or wait until December and get a refuge permit and shoot one there. PM me if you have questions.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

jerm8352

Lil-Rokslider
You gotta remember if there are leftover tags there is a reason for that. This year especially if the locals haven’t grabbed up a cow tag it’s because it is difficult to fill. Most likely the elk stack up on private. Like mentioned earlier call the warden and bio but my guess is there are left over tags because you can’t fill it on public very easily if at all.