Wyoming Elk Application Strategy

Hey guys and gals, so I have 4 points for elk in Wyoming and I’m a non resident. I’m planning to hunt the General units but should I be putting in the the highly unlikely limited quota units for my first and second choices and then general for my third choice? Does that effect my odds of getting the General tag if I list it as my third instead of my first choice?

Thanks in advance for any help

BDRam16

WKR
You will not get a general tag for anything other than a first choice. They will be LONG gone. With the current point creep, 4 points might not even get you one first choice.

OP
U
So Wyoming completes the first choice draw and then moves to the second and finally third choice draws then? So it’s not the way other western states do it with the random numbers if that’s the case. I think 4 points will be either 100% or very close to that this year. Last year <4 points was 100% draw for general

BDRam16

WKR
So Wyoming completes the first choice draw and then moves to the second and finally third choice draws then? So it’s not the way other western states do it with the random numbers if that’s the case. I think 4 points will be either 100% or very close to that this year. Last year <4 points was 100% draw for general
I only apply in two states and neither of them do it the way you described. In Wyoming they do 75% of the allocated tags by preference points first and the other 25% go to the random draw which would still be people who applied as first choice but didn’t have enough points. In Wyoming if a tag makes it past the first choice, it’s probably not a tag a NR public land hunter will have much use for.

General has risen a full point in 2 years, a 1/2 point each of the last two seasons. You could draw with 4, I also wouldn’t be surprised if it went to >4 this season. Best of luck.

OP
U
Yeah which is why I think 4 is gonna be close or probably be 100% this year.

In NV and Utah at least, you get distinct numbers based on how many points you have. If you get lucky and get a low number in that cluster of numbers, they will go through your choices to see if there are any undrawn tags left and give you your highest choice that still has tags

OP
U
Okay so I just found the info and looks like you are correct, there won’t be any General tags left after everyone’s 1st choice is taken into account.

wapitibob

WKR
UT fills all 1st choice apps before any 2nd choice, just like OR and WY. AZ looks at both 1st and 2nd, NM looks at all 3 choices.

You will not get a general tag for anything other than a first choice. They will be LONG gone. With the current point creep, 4 points might not even get you one first choice.
This! 4 points will get you a license in the regular though.

drra

FNG
I have years before I am retired and can go on a DIY elk hunt, I need to do some serious reading on the points systems and regs to determine the best strategy for getting an elk tag in some western state in 4 years.

Z Barebow

Lil-Rokslider
I have years before I am retired and can go on a DIY elk hunt, I need to do some serious reading on the points systems and regs to determine the best strategy for getting an elk tag in some western state in 4 years.
RE: Strategy for elk tag.

Lesson 1- The tag landscape WILL change. If you base your future expectations on today's statistics, you will be disappointed.

Based on your comment above, it appears as if you have zero elk points today. (Wyoming in this example) If that is the case, it is extremely likely it will take more than 4 points to draw a reg general elk tag in 4 years. (IE Point creep) This assumption also does not reflect any potential changes in tag % allocations for R/NR.

The next state will have totally different application process. (Also subject to change over time)

Welcome to western hunting!

Laramie

WKR
My best guess is it will take 6-8 points for a general tag in the regular draw in 2026. If the recent price recommendations go into effect, you will probably be able to draw in the special with 2-3 points by then ($2,000 tag).